Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Electrician insurance

Join over 16,000 electricians like you with PL cover from £3.49 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Electrician installing wiring in a residental house

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,802 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need electricians insurance?

Electricians’ insurance protects you against the costs of damage, injury or mistakes at work. You know the risks associated with electricity – so make sure you, your tools and your customers are covered.

  • Protects you from big claims like accidental injury or damage
  • Keeps you on track when the unexpected happens
  • You're covered for any associated legal and medical costs

Start your quote

What does electrician insurance insurance cover?

You know the risk when you work with electricity and live wires. Make sure you're covered against injury on site, accidental damage to equipment, and legal and medical costs. Pick and choose which type of insurance best fits your business.

Electrician public liability insurance

In case you or your employee injure someone or damage their property.

What’s typically covered by electrician public liability insurance?

Legal costs and compensation payouts that result from claims against your business for:

  • damage caused by you to someone else’s property
  • injury caused to someone else while you’re carrying out work (including medical costs)
  • damage to someone else’s property, caused by an employee

For example:

  • your wire work is faulty and causes a small fire in your customer's house
  • a customer gets an electric shock injury after you’ve wired a plug

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case an employee gets ill or injures themselves at work.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Legal costs and compensation payouts that result from claims against your business for:

  • injury or illness to an employee, caused by working for you (including medical costs)

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • your employee does some rewiring and electrocutes themselves
  • your employee trips over your toolbox and breaks their arm

Tools insurance

In case your tools are stolen or accidentally damaged.

What’s typically covered by electrician tools insurance?

  • theft of your business tools while you're on site
  • accidental damage to your business tools when you’re on site

For example:

  • your drills are stolen while you're working
  • one of your employees spills their coffee over your radio

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • your tools when they're in transit between jobs

Read more about tools insurance

Stock insurance

In case your stock is accidentally damaged or stolen.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • accidental damage or theft of the equipment you’re using on a job

For example:

  • you leave some equipment outside of a customer’s house and it rains, ruining your equipment
  • thieves break into your van and steal your equipment while you're working on site

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • you’ll need goods in transit cover for your materials as you travel between jobs

Read more about stock insurance

Hired-in plant insurance

In case of loss or damage to hired plant.

What’s typically covered by hired-in plant insurance?

  • damage accidentally caused to items of the plant you hired from someone else
  • hire charges you still owe even though you’ve damaged the item

For example:

  • the wrong key is used for an item of hired plant and it breaks
  • an item of a hired plant is stolen from site, and the hire charges still apply while you wait for a replacement

Read more about hired-in plant insurance

Own plant insurance

In case of accidental or malicious damage to your own plant items.

What’s typically covered by own plant insurance?

  • any larger items that you use to complete your day to day activities
  • accidental or malicious damage to your own plant items

For example:

  • you’re on a job and your plant is locked away – someone breaks in and steals the equipment that’s needed to complete the job
  • an employee spills liquid on your plant which means it’s no longer usable

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • wear and tear of your own plant

Read more about own plant insurance

Contract works insurance

In case your work is disrupted on-site due to theft or damage.

What’s typically covered by contract works insurance?

  • covers work in progress on your construction site
  • damage or theft of your customer's tools and equipment that are left on site

For example:

  • you’re the main contractor on site, and a fire caused by vandals sets the completion date back. As a result, your customer's materials are damaged, causing a delay in completion

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • you need cover for your own tools and materials – if there's a fire on site, causing a delay in completion, your tools wouldn’t be covered

Read more about contract works insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case there are any legal costs associated with running your business.

  • legal expenses resulting from your day-to-day business activities, like disputes with employees
  • HMRC investigations, and tax and compliance disputes
  • includes a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline, and crisis PR support

For example:

  • if you're investigated by HMRC – this cover can cover the costs of any tax enquiries
  • a former employee takes you to court after you’ve sacked them

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case of injury at work or outside of work.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death for anyone covered on the policy
  • lost income, medical and hospitalisation costs

For example:

  • you lose a finger working on site
  • your casual labourer breaks his leg on a night out

Read more about personal accident insurance

Professional indemnity insurance

In case a customer suffers financial loss because of you.

What’s typically covered by professional indemnity insurance for electricians?**

Legal costs and compensation payouts that result from claims against your business for:

  • something you or your employees have or haven’t done
  • you or your employees giving the wrong advice to a customer

For example:

  • you provide an electrical safety certificate to your customer – after this, they have an electrical fire which forces them to close their business for a month

Read more about professional indemnity insurance

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of business insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does electrician insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.19 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example electrician insurance quotes, real prices

optima insurance

£7.51 /month

£55.12 /year

Domestic electrician working in residential locations

  • 5+ years' experience
  • sole trader
  • no employees
  • based in Derby
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability

    Not included

  • Tools

    Not included

churchill insurance

£105.61 /month

£938.74 /year

Domestic and commercial electricians with employees and casual workers

  • 5+ years' experience
  • limited company
  • 2 employees
  • based in Birmingham
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Tools


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 21/02/2022). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess







Business and office equipment



The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Is public liability enough for third party property damage?

You may need more than public liability to cover certain types of damage

In some situations you may need more than public liability cover to cover certain kinds of property damage. Learn about professional indemnity cover and buildings cover.

Can I just cover my most expensive tools?

Make sure you cover the total cost of replacing all your tools or you’ll only get a proportion of your claim paid out if something happens to them. Learn about tools cover.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Will tools insurance cover all my equipment?

Depending on what you use to do your work, you may need other covers.

You may need more than tools insurance – for example, business equipment insurance if you have a work laptop, plant insurance if you use machinery.

Does electricians' insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It’s important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider electrical contractors insurance or builders insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims team any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. "Settled" covers paid, declined or withdrawn. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis. Our specialist partner Sedgwick will pay the claims on behalf of the insurer. Reviewed on 24/04/2024.

Example claim

Having electricians’ insurance through Simply Business has saved electricians thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Richard saved more than £4,600

Richard (not his real name) was fitting lights when he dropped his cutters in the bath. As a result, the bath was chipped. Luckily, Richard’s accidental damage insurance paid out.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the majority of the cost of the damage to someone else’s property.

  • Richard's costs


    The excess amount stated in Richard's policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of 5 back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,802 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Electricians’ insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about electricians’ insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • Without this insurance, you could be liable for thousands of pounds in legal fees and compensation claims.

    You need professional indemnity insurance if you give advice to customers. If that advice is incorrect, or your customer files allegations of mistakes or carelessness against your work, you could be out of pocket. You can even lose income from wasted time defending these claims.

    Some trade bodies require you to have some level of professional indemnity insurance.

  • It’s important to have public liability insurance. Working with electricity means serious consequences should anything go wrong. And if anything did go wrong, the financial implications can be hefty.

    Public liability insurance can protect you against claims arising from injury or loss suffered by a member of the public as a result of your work.

  • If you have people working for you, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.

    While you may not be required by law to have other types of insurance, it’s important to protect your business. You should also protect your tools, your employees, your customers, and members of the public should anything happen at work.

    Three types of insurance you should consider as a self-employed electrician are:

  • If you’re working under the main contractor’s supervision, you’re unlikely to need your own public liability insurance policy. Their insurance should cover you – but please remember to check this with them.

    But, if you’re working independently, you’ll need your own public liability insurance. Either way, it’s best to check with the main contractor.

    The most common types of insurance for a contractor are public liability and professional indemnity.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for electricians

Stamp Out Tool Theft hero image

78% of tradespeople have had their tools stolen, let’s change that.

Stamp Out Tool Theft

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Electrician insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.