• Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Manage your policy
Telephone iconCall UsTelephone icon0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Business insurance

Quick, easy and specific. Compare and buy today.

What is your trade/profession?
Search icon
Start your quote

Compare quotes from leading brands

checklist logo.

Trusted by 600,000 customers

Insuring businesses and landlords for over a decade

conversation logo.

Satisfaction score of 9/10

For public liability insurance

team logo.

Award-winning claims team

With a UK-based team available 24/7

Business insurance quotes

Get a tailored business insurance quote from a range of leading insurers to make sure your business is protected. Call us or buy online in minutes.

Our business insurance is specially designed for small businesses and all their unique needs. We’re here to help you make sense of the different types of cover and find the right policy for you, leaving you free to focus on making a success of your business.

Cover from £6.82 a month, get insured in minutes. (10% of direct debit customers repay their annual policy in 10 monthly payments of £6.82 or less across all our trades insured. Based on data from 1 October 2019 - 31 March 2020, for comparison only. Cancellation charges may apply, please refer to our full terms & conditions.)

Start your quote

What is business insurance?

Business insurance protects businesses against losses that happen as a result of normal business activities – particularly when a compensation claim is made. There are different types of cover for different types of risk, from legal liability, to property damage, to employee-related issues.

Fill in our form to compare commercial insurance quotes tailored to your needs.

For more information check out our business insurance FAQ pages.


See also

Why cover your business?

Insurance helps you protect your business and build trust among your customers and clients. Here are a few reasons why:

  • cover like public liability insurance can protect you against expensive claims resulting from accidents and slip-ups
  • clients sometimes require you to have business insurance before securing contracts – so check what’s needed and we'll help you arrange cover
  • lots of trade bodies ask that their members have certain covers in place, like professional indemnity. Whatever they want, we’ll help you get started
  • additional covers like protection for stock, business interruption, equipment, contents and buildings can help keep your trade going if you hit a crisis

Read more

We insure a wide range of businesses

At Simply Business we insure all kinds of trades, from hairdressers to builders and even fortune tellers. Check out our list below and read a bit more about some of the businesses we insure:

Don't worry if your trade isn't listed above. When running a quote you can choose from over 1,000 trades.

Things to consider before buying business insurance

You should give accurate information when building your quote. This helps make sure you get the right cover for your business. These are some of the questions you should answer when buying insurance:

  • are you a sole trader or limited company?
  • does your business deal with members of the public?
  • do you have a business premises?
  • does your business hold any stock, equipment or tools?
  • does your business employ any other staff?

If you're not sure about the information you need to supply, you can always give us a call on 0333 043 8527 and one of our team can help you with your quote.

Build your business insurance policy

Building your business insurance policy

You can build your policy from a range of different covers to suit your individual needs.

Public liability insurance is an important cover for lots of businesses. And if you have employees it's likely that you're legally required to take out employers’ liability insurance (even if they're contractors, casual workers or temporary staff).

It’s up to you to decide what cover works best for your line of work.

Here’s where public liability insurance can be useful: a plumber installed a plastic push fitting which failed and caused a leak. It also affected neighbouring houses. The claim was settled for £160,000, of which the plumber only paid £500.

Can I see some real examples of business insurance claims?

Below are two real-life examples where customers have saved themselves thousands of pounds having business insurance through Simply Business. Can you afford to go without business insurance?

Business insurance saved them more than £44,000

A shop owner returned from a trip to the cash and carry to find their business premises on fire. The fire itself was fairly large, with extensive damage to the premises and stock. As a result, the shop owner was unable to trade for the foreseeable future. Luckily, the shop owner had business interruption and stock cover, so was able to make a claim.

Claim settlement: £44,699

What the business owner had to pay: £300 excess

Business insurance saved them more than £23,500

A restaurant owner was found at fault after an oil spill in the restaurant led to a customer having a bad fall. The customer fractured their collarbone and two ribs, and had to go on sick leave for the best part of five months. The claim covered the treatment and pain suffered by the customer, as well as the cost of their sick pay.

Claim settlement: £23,722

What the business owner had to pay: nothing (nil excess)

Business insurance FAQs

Business insurance FAQs

We've got comprehensive FAQ pages that explain a lot more about business insurance. Get the answers to these popular questions:

What type of business insurance do I need?

The cover you need depends on your individual setup:

Read more

How much does business insurance cost?

This depends on different factors like the nature of your work, the type of insurance you need, and your cover levels. Businesses that insurers see as riskier will usually pay more for their policy. The easiest way to find out how much business insurance will cost is to run a quick quote.

Read more

Is business insurance a legal requirement?

While business insurance isn't a legal requirement, some regulators may require you to have it in order to operate. The only type of business insurance that's mandatory under the law is employers' liability insurance – it's likely that if you have staff, you need this cover.

Read more

How much business insurance do I need?

Most businesses with employees need to have at least £5 million of employers' liability insurance. It also depends on the nature of your work, and whether clients, contracts or regulatory bodies specify a particular level of cover. Think about how much you might need to pay out in claims if something goes wrong.

Read more

Can I get business insurance before registering my business?

Yes, you can buy business insurance before registering your business, and even before you've started trading. Keep in mind that when buying an insurance policy, insurers will ask for details like your business address, your trade type, and your actual or projected turnover.

Read more

Can I get business insurance without a trade licence?

Yes, as you can buy business insurance before you begin trading. But some types of business will need a trade licence to operate – and if you need a licence and start trading without it, your insurance may be invalid. Trade licences are usually issued by the relevant licensing authority or by the local authority.

Read more

What can affect the price of my policy?

The price of your policy is tailored to your business. It’s based on a number of factors, such as:

  • your claims history, particularly the past five years
  • how long you've been operating in your trade
  • working in dangerous environments
  • working with dangerous materials
  • the value of goods, equipment, or tools you insure
  • the number of covers you add (the more covers, the greater the price)

Can I add cover for a different trade or profession to my business insurance policy?

Yes. It’s important to make sure you have the right type and level of insurance for the different types of work you do. For example, if you’re a builder, you may also do roofing work on certain jobs – you’ll need additional cover for this, but you can have it all on the one policy.

When you start your quote, you’ll have the option to add another trade or profession to your policy. If you need to add a third trade, give us a call on 0333 043 8527 and one of our insurance experts will help you set up your policy in minutes.

Can I add cover for a different trade or profession mid-way through my policy?

Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to give us a call on 0333 043 8527 to update your policy before you take on this new work.

If you don’t have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

Can I buy business insurance if I’ve had any CCJs or IVAs?

Each insurer looks at CCJs and IVAs differently – some apply stricter rules than others, but having a CCJ or IVA doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to buy insurance.

What’s the difference between paying by direct debit and paying in one lump sum?

You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills.

Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

  • one-off credit or debit card payment
  • BACS payment
  • Direct Debit

If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

Will changing from sole trader to limited company affect my insurance policy?

If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 043 8527. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

Rated 4.7/5 by customers

Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
feefo logo.

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist.

Read our reviews

It is a very good and easy to use service. I've been a customer for several years and the renewal system is very straight forward. I've always found the quotes competitive too. I'd definitely recommend Simply Business.

R Matthews, Handyman

Chevron right icon
Business insurance

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceProfessionals' insuranceNot for profit insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2020 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.