Research and reports
We have appointed a data protection officer to oversee our handling of personal information. If you have any questions about how we collect, store or use your information, you can contact our data protection officer using the details set out in "14. Contacting us".
Insurance is the pooling and sharing of risk in order to provide protection against a possible event. In order to do this, information, including your personal data, needs to be shared with various insurance market participants, such as intermediaries, insurers, and reinsurers. The London Insurance Market Core Uses Information Notice (see link below) sets out those core necessary personal data uses and disclosures. Our core uses and disclosures are consistent with the London Market Core Uses Information Notice.
Who do we collect information about?:
When do we collect personal information?:
In order for us to provide insurance quotes and insurance policies, and to deal with any claims or complaints, we need to collect and process personal data about you.
The personal information that we collect will depend on your relationship with us. We will collect different information depending on whether you are a policyholder or prospective customer; covered party under a policy; beneficiary under a policy; or website user, claimant, witness, broker, or other third party.
Due to the nature of our business, we may request and/or receive ‘sensitive’ data about you, known as special category data, for example information pertaining to your health, for claims purposes. We may also request or need to access details of any unspent criminal convictions for the purpose of offering you an insurance product.
Please click on the relevant section below for detailed information regarding the types of personal information we are likely to collect and use about you.
Sensitive personal information:
We collect personal information from a number of different sources including:
Simply Business has internal policy documents in place to ensure that any information used that’s in the public domain or sourced from social media sites is used in line with our usual obligations.
We may process your personal information for a number of different purposes. For each purpose we must have a legal ground for such processing. When the information we process is classed as sensitive personal information, we must have an additional legal ground for such processing.
Generally we will rely on the following legal grounds:
You will find details of our legal grounds for each of our processing purposes below.
1. To set you up as a policyholder, including carrying out fraud, credit, and anti-money laundering checks
Additional legal grounds for processing sensitive personal information:
2. To evaluate your insurance application and provide a quote; this might include us calling you after you submit a request for quotation form so that we can deal with any queries or questions around the quotation process
3. To conduct underwriting/claims analysis
4. General administration of policies (general client care, including communicating with you regarding administration and requested changes to the insurance policy, and sending you updates regarding your insurance policy)
5. Claims processing
6. Prevention and detection of and investigating and prosecuting fraud. This might include sharing your personal information with third parties such as the police, and other insurance and financial services providers.
Additional legal grounds for processing sensitive personal information:
7. Management of complaints (including communicating with you and resolving any complaints that you might have)
8. Complying with our legal or regulatory obligations
9. Providing improved quality, training and security (for example, with respect to recorded or monitored phone calls to our contact numbers)
10. Managing our business operations such as maintaining accounting records, analysis of financial results, internal audit requirements, and receiving professional advice (e.g. tax or legal advice)
11. Provide marketing information to you (including information and marketing campaigns about our other products and services), in accordance with any preferences* you have expressed
12. Monitoring applications, reviewing, assessing, tailoring, and improving our products and services and similar products and services offered by Simply Business
13. Offering renewal on the expiry of your policy
14. Tracing and recovering debt
15. Monitoring usage of any of the various Simply Business websites
16. Ensuring that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device
17. Allowing you to participate in interactive features of our services, when you choose to do so
18. Investigating or detecting the unauthorised use of our systems, to secure our system and to ensure the effective operation of our systems
19. Other purposes outside of the insurance lifecycle but necessary for the provision of insurance throughout the insurance lifecycle period (including, among other things, general risk modelling, transferring books of business, any change in ownership of the company (whether in whole or part), and re-organisations)
20. Carrying out customer research and customer insight exercises to understand our customers needs, to help us to improve and monitor our services and products
21. Ad-hoc communications and fulfilment of thank you notes, gifts, and other vouchers
From time to time we may share your personal information within the Simply Business group, which is part of Travelers Inc., and with carefully vetted third parties. If you would like further information regarding the disclosures of your personal information, please see the details listed below. If you have further questions, please see section 14 for our contact details.
1. Disclosures to third parties
2. International payments
We (or third parties acting on our behalf) may store or process information that we collect about you in countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Where we make a transfer of your personal information outside of the EEA we will take the required steps to ensure that your personal information is protected. We do this by using the EEA approved standard contractual clauses. If you would like further information regarding the steps we take to safeguard your personal information, please contact us using the details set out in section 14.
Will decisions about you be made by automated means (including profiling)?
Please note that personal information, including sensitive personal information, may be used in the context of making insurance underwriting decisions, where information (such as criminal convictions data) is included as a standard question on a request for quotation form, and also referenced for auto-renewal of certain types of policies. This involves automated decision making to determine what the cost of providing or renewing the policy will be. Automated decision making may also be used in relation to our marketing of our products to you, in accordance with preferences you have expressed, but is restricted to segmentation of data. Please see section 12 relating to your rights around automated decision making. We will ask you when you purchase your policy if you would like to opt in to auto-renewal. However, even if you opt in at this point, you have the right to opt out at any time.
1. Marketing activities
We may also use your personal information to provide you with information by email about our products or services or those of our partners which may be of interest to you or to send eNewsletters. You have the option to opt out at any time.
If you wish to unsubscribe from emails sent by us, you may do so at any time by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link that appears in all emails. Otherwise you can always contact us using the details set out in section 14 to update your contact preferences, or email [email protected] In such circumstances, we will continue to send you service-related (non-marketing) communications where necessary.
We might also use your personal information to provide you with information by text message about our products or services or those of our partners which may be of interest to you. You have the option to opt out at any time.
You can stop receiving text messages sent by us at any time by following the instructions in the text message on how to unsubscribe. This appears in all text messages. Otherwise you can always contact us using the details set out in section 14 to update your contact preferences. In such circumstances, we will continue to send you service-related (non-marketing) communications where necessary.
We may also use your personal information to call you regarding products and services you have expressed an interest in, or which we believe may be of interest to you. You can opt out of receiving these calls at any point.
You can stop receiving telephone calls from us at any time by contacting us using the details set out in section 14 to update your contact preferences. In such circumstances, we will continue to send you service-related (non-marketing) communications where necessary.
We may also use your personal information to provide you with information by post about our products or services or those of our partners which may be of interest to you. You have the option to opt out at any time.
You can stop receiving post from us at any time by contacting us using the details set out in section 14 to update your contact preferences. In such circumstances, we will continue to send you service related (non-marketing) communications where necessary.
TO STOP receiving any marketing communications from us please email [email protected]
2. If you have been referred to us through one of our partner’s websites
We will only use your personal information to contact you about our products or services, or those of our partners which may be of interest to you, if our partner has provided us with your consent, indicating that you are happy for us to contact you using one of the methods set out above. You have the option to opt out at any time (please see above).
3. If you have entered a prize draw or competition via any of our social media channels
If you enter a prize draw or competition via one of our social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn we may collect your email address for the purpose of fulfilling the terms and conditions of such competition or prize draw. We may also use your personal information collected at competition sign up stage to provide you with information by email about our products or services or those of our partners which may be of interest to you or to send eNewsletters. You can choose to receive such emails by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ on the social media page displaying the marketing option for the specific competition/prize draw. You will always have the option to opt out as shown at point 10.1 above.
Under data protection law you have certain legal rights in relation to the personal information that we hold about you. You may exercise these rights at any time by contacting us using the details set out in section 14.
Your rights include:
Please see below for contact details of the ICO:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate)
Email: [email protected]
Making a complaint will not affect any other legal rights or remedies that you have.
We use a wide range of organisational and technical security measures to protect your information. This includes regular and thorough staff training about data security and data rights.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone, and to use a password that is appropriate (i.e. a mixture of upper and lower case letters, and characters, which isn’t used on other sites and isn’t easily guessed).
We restrict access to your information as appropriate within Simply Business to only those who absolutely need to know that information for the purposes set out above.
Firewalls are used to block unauthorised traffic to the servers and the actual servers are located in a secure location which can only be accessed by authorised personnel. Our internal procedures cover the storage, access and disclosure of your information.
If you have any questions about how we collect, store or use your personal information, you may contact our data protection officer at:
Data Protection Officer Simply Business 99 Gresham Street London EC2V 7NG Email: [email protected]
6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG
Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ
© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.