Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Landlord liability insurance

Join over 315,000 property owners like you with cover from £10.90 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare landlord liability insurance quote options from trusted brands

Woman sitting on sofa looking at phone

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,785 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

What is property owners liability insurance?

Slips, trips, and falls are among the UK’s most common accidents. From loose flooring to slippery paving, it can easily happen in a rented property, especially during a gap between visits. Landlord liability insurance is designed to protect you from injury or damage claims related to your rental property. It’s a type of public liability insurance, built specifically for landlords.

  • liability insurance for property owner risks, from injuries to property damage
  • 80 per cent of settled claims paid in 24 hours
  • rated 4.7/5, based on over 39,000 reviews

Start your quote

What does landlord’s liability insurance cover?

Property owners’ liability insurance, also known as ‘landlord liability insurance’, is built to cover landlords against compensation claims made by a third party, like a tenant, visitor, or service tradesperson. If someone gets injured or their property is damaged, they could blame you as the landlord, and this type of insurance can cover the compensation costs and legal fees, up to your policy limit.

Bodily injury

What does this cover?

  • third party injuries, caused by your property
  • injuries caused by your building, fixtures, fittings, and/or contents
  • claims made by your tenant, their guests, and in rare cases, passers-by (these will require verification)

When would I need to make a claim?

  • for example, your tenant trips on a loose piece of floor carpet you’ve been meaning to have fixed, causing long-term chronic back pain

What isn’t covered?

  • your own injuries, or injuries to your family members
  • product defects

Property damage

What does this cover?

  • third party property damage, caused by your rental property
  • damage caused by your building, fixtures, fittings, and/or contents
  • claims made by your tenant, their guests, and in rare cases, passers-by (these will require verification)

What isn’t covered?

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does landlord liability insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £10.90 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for customers purchasing landlord buildings cover only policy - 10% of customers paid £130.80 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £10.90/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example landlord liability insurance quotes, real prices

churchill insurance

£22.76 /month

£202.35 /year

Renting a detached house to a family

  • Residential
  • Detached house
  • 3 bedrooms
  • 1 bathroom
  • Built between 1980 and 1989
  • 1-2 years
  • Occupied
  • Based in Coventry
  • Landlord buildings

    £200,001 to £250,000

  • Property owners' liability


  • Accidental Damage

    Not included

maltings insurance

£38.34 /month

£340.82 /year

Renting out a large flat in a purpose built building

  • Residential
  • Individual flat in purpose built block or building
  • 2 bedrooms
  • 2 bathrooms
  • Built between 1990 and 2000
  • Over 5 years
  • Occupied
  • Based in Watford
  • Landlord buildings

    £300,001 to £350,000

  • Property owners' liability


  • Accidental Damage


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 12/11/2021). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your property. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. "Settled" covers paid, declined or withdrawn. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis. Our specialist partner Sedgwick will pay the claims on behalf of the insurer. Reviewed on 24/04/2024.

Example claim

Having landlords’ liability insurance through Simply Business has saved landlords thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

John saved more than £10,800

John (not his real name) received a claim from a solicitor acting on behalf of a postman, who’d broken his leg when a manhole cover gave way on his property. The landlords’ liability insurance added to his policy covered the compensation and legal costs billed to John, as the property owner.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of third party injury

  • John’s costs


    The excess amount stated in John’s policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 315,000 landlord customers now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,785 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Property owners liability insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying landlord insurance or you’ve been letting your property for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about liability insurance for property owners. You can also check out our landlord insurance FAQs.

  • Landlord liability insurance (also known as ‘property owners’ liability cover’) isn’t a legal requirement, but can sometimes be made mandatory by your mortgage provider or letting agency, if you use one. It’s also a pretty sensible cover to consider, as injury and damage claims can run into tens of thousands of pounds, depending on the severity of the accident, or the value of the property involved.

  • Remember, your cover level is the maximum amount an insurer will pay out for a claim. Property owners’ liability insurance claims can be very high, which is why our cover levels start at £2 million. You can select up to £5 million in cover if you need, and this will depend on your property, tenant, and overall risk profile.

    Some commercial landlords will be required to take out a specific level of cover, often by their local authority. Check your obligations and our commercial landlord insurance options to find the cover that fits your situation.

  • This will depend on your specific circumstances, the type of property you’re renting out, your tenants and various other factors. Right now, our landlord policy prices start from £11.97 per month.

    To work this out, 26% of our customers paid up to £143.61 a year for a landlord buildings only policy between 1st Dec 2022 - 28th Feb 2023. Equivalent to £11.97 per month based on a monthly cost when paying for the policy in one annual payment. Paying monthly is usually more expensive as you'll pay interest. Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

  • Home insurance is required when you want to insure the home you’re living in against accidental loss or damage.

    Landlord insurance is different – it’s required when you own a property that you rent out to a third party, and don’t live in yourself. It covers different insurance risks from a home policy, taking into account the type of tenant you rent to and how long you’ve owned the property. It also allows you to insure the property and protect yourself against things like loss of rental income, and malicious damage caused by your tenants.

  • You can add a range of other important covers to your landlord insurance policy, all while keeping it simple with a single premium and a single renewal date. You might consider these covers:

  • If you’ve provided furniture and other contents for your tenants – maybe even a TV or art for the walls – your property is known as ‘furnished’, and protection is key for most landlords. You can buy contents insurance as part of your landlord insurance policy, just add it when completing your landlord insurance quote.

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions.

Helpful articles for landlords

Ariel view of Salford Quays skyline, Manchester, UK

21 January 2021 • 3-minute read

Best buy-to-let areas in the UK for 2021

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Landlord liability insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.