Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Landlord home emergency cover

Join over 33,000 landlords with home emergency cover from £14.18 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare tailored quotes to find the best cover for you
tradesperson fixing leaky pipe in rental property

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,785 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Landlords home emergency cover – why is it important?

Plumbing, heating, electricity, and a functioning roof – they’re all basic requirements for a safe habitable property. So what happens if one stops doing its job, and your tenant is left without water or power? It happens every day, making landlord home emergency cover a popular lifeline (and easily tagged onto your standard policy).

  • landlord breakdown cover for boiler and heating system failures
  • home security, lost keys, vermin, and hotel costs covered up to certain limits
  • landlord plumbing insurance, including drainage leaks and problems

Start your quote

What is landlord emergency cover?

Landlord insurance with emergency cover is designed to keep your tenant safe and the property habitable, during a crisis like a boiler failure or damage to the roof. From losing the keys to a wasp infestation, if your tenant can’t access or remain at the property safely, landlords’ home emergency cover could put things right.

Keep in mind, this cover is for the emergency – not routine repairs or redecoration once the crisis is dealt with.

Boiler and main heating system

What’s covered?

  • failure of the property’s main heating system
  • contribution towards replacement boiler costs, if it’s beyond economic repair
  • old boilers can be covered (we don’t put an age restriction on your boiler, although subject to annual servicing)
  • parts and labour covered for most fixes

Claim example

  • if the heating in your property failed, due to a fuse in your boiler, leaving your tenants without heating on a cold January weekend

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • cold water supply or drainage pipes
  • non-domestic heating hot water systems
  • solar heating or warm air systems
  • annual servicing and boiler certificates

Roof damage

What’s covered?

  • roof damage, making the internal property unsafe or uninhabitable
  • missing tiles caused by storm damage, leading to a leak inside the property

Claim example

  • a bad storm damages some tiles on your property’s roof, causing a leak in two of the bedrooms

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • maintenance, and general wear and tear

Plumbing and drainage

What’s covered?

  • damage to your property’s drains and plumbing system
  • blockage, breakage, or leaking

Claim example

  • a pipe in the kitchen splits and causes a leak under the sink, which filters into the kitchen and causes a small flood

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • maintenance, and general wear and tear
  • rainwater drains and soakaways
  • pipes your water supply or sewerage company are responsible for

Power supply failure

What’s covered?

  • domestic gas or electrical supply failure

Claim example

  • your property’s electricity trips out and you can’t find the cause, leaving your tenants without lighting or access to plug sockets and an electrical shower

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • mains supply failure

Toilet units

What’s covered?

  • impact damage to toilet bowls and cisterns, resulting in a complete loss of any toilet in the property
  • mechanical failure

Claim example

  • the toilet in the main bathroom is blocked, with water leaking from the cistern – the bath and shower become completely inaccessible

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • maintenance, and general wear and tear

Home security

What’s covered?

  • external door, windows, or locks failure/damage, if it leaves your property insecure or inaccessible
  • internal doors which give your tenants exclusive access to their part of the property or room (for example in a house of multiple occupancy or house share)

Claim example

  • your property’s external door gets damaged during a break-in and you need to replace the locks and keys to make it secure for your tenants


What’s covered?

  • loss or theft of any external door keys
  • the keys lost must be the only available set

Claim example

  • your tenant leaves their keys on the train and you haven’t got another set cut, so they’re unable to access the property

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • any claim where an alternative set of keys is available


What’s covered?

  • wasp and hornet nests, rats, mice, or grey squirrels in your property which prevent use of a loft, or one or more rooms

Claim example

  • your tenant discovers a wasp nest in the loft, which is beginning to filter into the main bedrooms

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • an infestation in any external building
  • bees nest removal

Hotel accommodation

What’s covered?

  • room only costs for one night’s accommodation, if the property remains uninhabitable after an insured event
  • cover for you and/or your tenants

Claim example

  • a leak in the kitchen causes severe water damage to the downstairs rooms in your property – your tenants need to stay in a hotel for a night while it’s made fit for living in

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • any costs above £300

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does landlord emergency cover insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £14.18 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

How we work out example prices: Prices are based on payment over 12 months as of 17/11/2022 and are inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). If you pay in a lump sum or by Direct Debit, extra fees may apply.

Example landlord emergency cover insurance quotes, real prices

maltings insurance

£34.92 /month

£310.4 /year

Renting a terraced house to a young couple

  • Residential
  • Terraced / End terrace house
  • 3 bedrooms
  • 1 bathroom
  • Built between 1945 and 1979
  • Less than 1 year
  • Occupied
  • Based in Manchester
  • Landlord buildings

    £125,001 to £150,000

  • Property owners' liability


  • Landlord home emergency cover


maltings insurance

£64.5 /month

£573.36 /year

Renting a whole house to a large family

  • Residential
  • Detached house
  • 8 bedrooms
  • 3 bathrooms
  • Built between 1945 and 1979
  • Over 5 years
  • Occupied
  • Based in Cambridge
  • Landlord buildings

    £750,001 to £1,000,000

  • Property owners' liability


  • Landlord home emergency cover


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 22/04/2021). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your property. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£28 million in claims paid out in 2021

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2021

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. "Settled" covers paid, declined or withdrawn. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis. Our specialist partner Sedgwick will pay the claims on behalf of the insurer. Reviewed on 24/04/2024.

Chosen by 800,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 315,000 landlord customers now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,785 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Emergency landlord cover FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying landlord insurance or you’ve been letting your property for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about home emergency cover for landlords. You can also check out our landlord insurance FAQs.

  • This depends on your property, typical tenants, and how ready you are to pay for emergency landlord costs if they come up. For example, if there was a serious leak in your property due to a plumbing failure, would you have the funds ready to cover it, and keep your tenants in a space that’s fit for habitation? These emergency costs can run into thousands of pounds, so it makes sense to do some research.

    You aren’t legally required to take out a specific landlord policy. But many tenants will be reassured by optional protection like landlord emergency cover insurance.

  • We don’t include annual boiler servicing with this cover.

    If you do need to make a claim related to your boiler, bear in mind that you’ll need to show proof of annual gas and boiler checks. If these aren’t completed, your claim may not be eligible. They’re a key requirement for most UK landlords, so try to schedule them in with your tenants well in advance.

  • No, this policy isn’t a maintenance contract. It doesn’t cover the cost of day-to-day maintenance, which you’ll be responsible for.

  • Home insurance is required when you want to insure the home you’re living in against accidental loss or damage.

    Landlord insurance is different – it’s required when you own a property that you rent out to a third party, and don’t live in yourself. It covers different insurance risks from a home policy, taking into account the type of tenant you rent to and how long you’ve owned the property. It also allows you to insure the property and protect yourself against things like loss of rental income, and malicious damage caused by your tenants.

  • You can add a range of other important covers to your landlord insurance policy, all while keeping it simple with a single premium and a single renewal date. You might consider these covers:

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions.

Helpful articles for landlords

Landlord making a business call on his mobile whilst working at his desk

15 July 2021 • 6-minute read

Landlord checklist – what to do before renting out a property

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Landlord home emergency cover


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.