Landlord legal expenses insurance

Quick, easy and specific. Compare and buy today.

Start your quote
  • Zurich
  • AXA
  • Hiscox
  • Maltings
  • Covea
  • Ageas
  • UK General
  • AIG

Cover your legal expenses

Despite doing everything you can to maintain a good relationship with your tenants, disputes can crop up and you can find yourself facing steep legal fees. Our legal cover for landlords, provided by ARAG, is there if you need to take legal action to protect your rental property.

Whether you need to take a tenant to court to pursue rental arrears or you need legal assistance to evict a troublemaking tenant, you’re covered up to £50,000. You can also access a legal helpline 24/7, meaning you’ll have a property law expert on hand whenever you need one.

Just start your quote below and choose legal expenses cover as part of your landlord insurance package. Or opt to add tenant default insurance and you’ll get landlord legal protection automatically.

Start your quote

What is landlord legal expenses cover?

Landlord legal expenses insurance is an extra cover that you can add to your landlord policy. Create a tailored package by adding it to core landlord covers like buildings insurance and landlord liability insurance.

Landlord legal protection covers legal costs related to issues with your rental property, including legal action and court proceedings, up to £50,000. For example if a tenant has damaged your property, if you need to evict your tenants, or if you need to pursue unpaid rent.

It can also cover your defence costs if someone claims that you’ve breached your legal obligations to your tenants, or if you’re subject to a tax enquiry by HMRC. Plus, you’ll get access to a legal and tax helpline and ARAG’s online portal, which has templates for legal notices and tenant letters.

A quick claim example

Your tenants miss two months of rent and you serve them with an initial warning and a notice seeking possession. You then begin court proceedings to get a possession order.

What is covered?

The cost of legal help to put your claim together and legal representation at the hearing.

What isn’t covered?

The rental arrears owed by your tenant. For this you’d need to include our tenant default product.

Why Simply Business?

  • We’re the UK’s biggest business insurance provider
  • 9/10 ratings say we’re good (or excellent)
  • 475,000 customers (and counting)
  • Claims handled by an award-winning team
  • Quote comparisons available from multiple insurers
  • We run things from an expert, UK-based contact centre

Watch the details

It’s very important to make sure you understand what you need from your insurance. Use the check points below to get you thinking.

  • If you employ people, even in your own home, you’re legally obliged to take out employers’ liability insurance. Not doing this could lead to a heavy fine

  • Make sure you read and understand any exclusions to your policy. Simply Business offers you the chance to read the policy documents in full before you buy

  • Remember that conventional home insurance policies will not cover a buy-to-let property

You should state the rebuild cost of your property, not its market value, when buying buildings insurance.

Customer reviews

Our rating

4.6 /5

Working out our score

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist. For more details on how this works, click below.

Read our reviews

Customer testimonials

“It is a very good and easy to use service. I've been a customer for several years and the renewal system is very straight forward. I've always found the quotes competitive too. I'd definitely recommend Simply Business.”

R Matthews, Handyman

What our customers are saying

We are proud of reviews and ratings we receive from our customers. We use this feedback to continuously improve our customer services.

Contact us