Unoccupied property insurance

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Couple painting unoccupied property

Unoccupied property insurance – why is it important?

A gap between tenants, renovation works, or waiting to sell your rental property? Unoccupied property insurance can keep you covered against owners’ liability risks – for example, if some old brickwork fell and caused an injury – as well as damage to your empty building, contents, and certain legal expenses and emergencies, like a plumbing issue.

Need insurance for an unoccupied commercial property? We provide cover for empty shops, offices, studios, and all sorts of business types. Just start a quote and tell us about your property.

  • landlord insurance for empty property risks, from owners’ liability to buildings damage
  • repair costs for damage or replacement costs if it can’t be fixed
  • claims paid in 24 hours for 80 per cent of settled claims

What does unoccupied landlord insurance cover?

Empty property insurance – also known as ‘unoccupied house insurance’ – is designed to cover liability costs if your empty property is blamed for an injury or property damage, plus certain legal costs. It can also cover damage to your building and contents.

How much does unoccupied property insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £14.20 per month

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

How it works

Pick what goes into your policy

Get prices from a range of insurers

Buy online in minutes

Direct to


Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am – 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am – 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am – 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am – 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am – 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am – 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Empty property insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying landlord insurance or you’ve been letting your property for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about landlords’ insurance. You can also check out our landlord insurance FAQs.

If your property is unoccupied for a period of 30 days or more, it’s often classed as ‘unoccupied’, or vacant – depending on the vacancy period defined by your insurer. Whether it’s due to renovation work, in a sale chain or between rental agreements, specific risks do come with vacant properties, so unoccupied house insurance, or cover for a flat or commercial property, is a popular landlord cover.

Our tailored unoccupied property insurance policies can cover common incidents like fire, lightning or explosion damage, or earthquake and aerial incidents, as well as your own liability as the owner, for third party damage or injury caused by your vacant property.

This will depend on your specific circumstances, the type of empty property you’re insuring and various other factors. Right now, our landlord policy prices start from £9.53 per month.

To work this out, 10% of our customers paid up to £114.35 a year for a landlord buildings cover only policy between 1st April 2023 – 30th June 2023. Equivalent to £9.53 per month based on a monthly cost when paying for the policy in one annual payment. Paying monthly is usually more expensive as you’ll pay interest. Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

Home insurance is required when you want to insure the home you’re living in against accidental loss or damage.

Landlord insurance is different – it’s required when you own a property that you rent out to a third party, and don’t live in yourself. It covers different insurance risks from a home policy, taking into account the type of tenant you rent to and how long you’ve owned the property. It also allows you to insure the property and protect yourself against things like loss of rental income, and malicious damage caused by your tenants.

You aren’t legally required to take out a specific landlord policy, but remember – a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities, and a mortgage lender will usually demand you have specific landlord cover in place, before you let your property.

Popular covers include property owners’ liability and contents insurance, for accidents on your property, plus buildings cover to protect the property itself.

You can add a range of other important covers to your landlord insurance policy, all while keeping it simple with a single premium and a single renewal date. You might consider these covers:

As we’ve outlined above, there’s currently no legal obligation to take out a dedicated landlord insurance policy. However, a home insurance policy won’t cover you for the specific risks you and your tenants face, and a mortgage lender will usually require you to have buy-to-let insurance in place too, before renting out your property.

Helpful articles for landlords

Home Landlord insurance Landlord insurance covers Unoccupied property insurance