Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Landlord accidental damage cover

Join over 315,000 property owners who’ve chosen us for their cover. Compare tailored accidental damage insurance from trusted brands.

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

Compare quotes from leading brands

Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,386 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why is landlord accidental damage cover important?

For anyone looking into landlord insurance, accidental damage cover is a popular backstop. From kids’ games to a kitchen mishap, accidents happen, and this cover is designed to offer protection against the cost of replacements or repairs. As the property landlord, these costs are your responsibility, so cover can make the process simpler and less of a financial drain.

  • accidental damage insurance, landlord risks covered including buildings, fixtures, fittings, and contents
  • repair costs for damage or replacement costs if it can’t be fixed
  • claims paid in 24 hours for 80 per cent of settled claims

Start your quote

Landlord insurance with accidental damage – what’s covered?

This type of cover is designed to support you with repair and replacement costs, if your tenant or someone in the property accidentally damages your building, fixtures, fittings, or contents. From broken windows to damaged ornaments, kitchen appliances and curtains, all of these are easily broken, and usually covered by landlord insurance with accidental damage cover.

  • What does this cover?

    • any damage caused to your building, fixtures or fittings, depending on the cover you’ve selected, or loss
    • cover for the property itself, and things like built-in furniture, kitchens and bathrooms, fixed heaters, glass and sanitaryware

    When would I need to make a claim?

    • for example, your tenant drills a hole to fit their new TV, and causes damage to the pipe behind the wall

    What isn’t covered?

    • insect and vermin damage
    • wear and tear
  • What does this cover?

    • any damage caused to your landlord contents, or loss
    • contents which you’ve provided for your tenants, and aren’t fixed or fitted into the property itself
    • sofas, tables, lamps, and other freestanding items

    When would I need to make a claim?

    • for example, your tenant spills red wine on the new sofa you’ve provided, as well as a floor cushion and wooden coffee table

    What isn’t covered?

    • insect and vermin damage
    • wear and tear
    • old contents left at the property but not intended for the current tenants’ use, like personal possessions

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does landlord accidental damage cover cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £13.26 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

How we work out example prices We take the highest price from the bottom 10 per cent of all our customers paying in monthly instalments (based on data from 1 January - 31 August 2021). Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

Example accidental damage insurance quotes, real prices

churchill insurance

£19.62 /month

£174.41 /year

Landlord renting a residential house to a single occupant

  • Residential
  • Terraced / End terrace house
  • 2 bedrooms
  • 1 bathroom
  • Built between 1945 and 1979
  • 3-4 years
  • Occupied
  • Based in Cardiff
  • Landlord buildings

    £175,001 to £200,000

  • Property owners' liability


  • Accidental Damage


chiswell insurance

£40.24 /month

£313.24 /year

Renting out a large flat in a converted building

  • Residential
  • converted flat
  • 4 bedrooms
  • 2 bathrooms
  • Built between 1980 and 1989
  • Over 5 years
  • Occupied
  • Based in Colchester
  • Landlord buildings

    £300,001 to £350,000

  • Property owners' liability


  • Accidental Damage


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 30/12/2021). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your property. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same way

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Not included

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Not included

Access support by phone or online

Not included

We handle claims, so you can get on with business

Not included

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£28 million in claims paid out in 2021

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2021

Example claim

Having landlord accidental damage cover through Simply Business has saved property owners thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Rosie saved more than £16,200

Rosie (not her real name) discovered accidental damage inside her property, a few days before her tenant was due to leave. Multiple items and fittings were damaged, including bifold doors, light fittings, and bespoke fitted childrens’ cupboards, but the landlord insurance accidental damage cover added to her policy covered Rosie’s replacement and repair costs.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of accidental damage

  • Rosie’s costs


    The excess amount stated in Rosie’s policy terms

Chosen by 800,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 315,000 landlord customers now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,386 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Accidental damage insurance landlord FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying landlord insurance or you’ve been letting your property for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about landlord insurance with accidental damage. You can also check out our landlord insurance FAQs.

  • There’s currently no legal obligation to take out a dedicated landlord insurance policy. However, a home insurance policy won’t cover you for the specific risks you and your tenants face, and a mortgage lender will usually require you to have buy-to-let insurance in place too, before renting out your property.

  • Accidental damage insurance can be added to your landlord insurance policy to cover the repair or replacement cost if you, a tenant, or a visitor accidentally damage something. You’ll usually buy landlord accidental damage insurance alongside your landlord buildings insurance and landlords’ contents insurance.

  • This will depend on your specific circumstances, the type of property you’re renting out, your tenants, and various other factors. Right now, our landlord policy prices start from £13.26 per month.

    To work this out, we take the highest price from the bottom 10 per cent of all our customers paying in monthly instalments (based on data from 1 July to 31 December 2019). Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

  • Home insurance is required when you want to insure the home you’re living in against accidental loss or damage.

    Landlord insurance is different – it’s required when you own a property that you rent out to a third party, and don’t live in yourself. It covers different insurance risks from a home policy, taking into account the type of tenant you rent to and how long you’ve owned the property. It also allows you to insure the property and protect yourself against things like loss of rental income, and malicious damage caused by your tenants.

  • You aren’t legally required to take out a specific landlord policy, but remember – a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities, and a mortgage lender will usually demand you have specific landlord cover in place, before you let your property.

    Popular covers include property owners’ liability and contents insurance, for accidents on your property, plus buildings cover to protect the property itself.

  • You can add a range of other important covers to your landlord insurance policy, all while keeping it simple with a single premium and a single renewal date. You might consider these covers:

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for landlords

21 January 2021 • 3-minute read

Best buy-to-let areas in the UK for 2021

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Landlord accidental damage cover


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.