Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Loss of rent insurance

Join over 315,000 UK property owners with cover from £10.90 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare landlord loss of rent insurance from trusted brands

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,770 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why is landlord loss of rent insurance important?

From storm damage to a flood or fire, landlord loss of rent insurance is designed to protect your rental income, if disaster strikes and your tenants are forced to move out. Or, if you can’t move new tenants in because of the damage, it can cover you for the rent you’re missing out on. It’s a popular cover which you can add to one of our tailored landlord insurance policies.

Loss of rent vs tenant default – loss of rent insurance won’t protect you against your tenants simply defaulting on their rent. Our tenant default insurance is designed to cover this risk (some people also refer to it as rent guarantee insurance).

  • expert landlord insurance, with cover for loss of rent and common liabilities
  • no excess to pay and fast turnaround – 80 percent of settled claims paid in 24 hours
  • trusted by over 900,000 customers for flexible, tailored cover

Start your quote

Loss of rental income insurance – what’s covered?

Loss of rent insurance is designed to cover your lost rental income, if your property is made uninhabitable because of a crisis like a fire, flood, or storm damage. It can also provide cover if the damage stops you renting your property out to new tenants. It’s different to alternative accommodation insurance, which focuses on the cost of sorting out somewhere for your tenants to stay.

What's an ‘insured event’?

This will be specified in your policy wording, and usually includes a crisis like a fire, flood, or storm, and the damage caused.

For example:

  • a fridge fire starts in a flat above your tenants, causing extensive damage to the property. Your tenants are forced to move out, and you need to recover the lost rental income
  • your rental property is made uninhabitable during a storm and you need to delay a new tenant’s move-in date, while you carry out repair work

What isn’t covered?

  • losses due to a tenant defaulting on their rental payments – you can add tenant default insurance to help cover this risk, when building your policy

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does loss of rent insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £10.90 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for customers purchasing landlord buildings cover only policy - 10% of customers paid £130.80 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £10.90/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose loss of rent insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

You can add a range of other important covers to your landlord insurance policy, all while keeping it simple with a single premium and a single renewal date. You might consider these covers:

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£39 million in claims paid out in 2022

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2022

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 315,000 landlord customers now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,770 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Landlord loss of rent insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying landlord insurance or you’ve been letting your property for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about landlord insurance to cover loss of rent. You can also check out our landlord insurance FAQs.

  • If the property you’re letting out becomes uninhabitable because of an insured event – for example a fire, storm, or flood – loss of rent insurance can help cover your lost rental income. It’s designed to kick in if you can’t rent out the property due to one of these specified events and you can’t be paid rent as a result. If your tenant is forced to move into alternative accommodation, they’re still required to pay you rent. You can cover the cost of this with alternative accommodation cover.

  • If your property is damaged to the extent that it's uninhabitable, you can notify our claims team at Sedgwick of the issue. During this process, you can make a claim for loss or rent if the property will be uninhabitable for a while. The claims team will then determine whether the property is uninhabitable and if your policy covers loss of rent.

  • Some landlord insurance policies include loss of rent as an extension in their policy wording, while others don’t. It depends on your insurer and the details of your policy, so you’ll need to check the wording to see if it’s included automatically.

  • An insured event is something that happens based on your existing cover, such as buildings insurance. For example, if you can prove that you’re losing rent due to a buildings insurance claim such as a fire or flood, you would be covered by loss of rent insurance.

  • There’s currently no legal obligation to take out a dedicated landlord insurance policy. However, a home insurance policy won’t cover you for the specific risks you and your tenants face, and a mortgage lender will usually require you to have buy-to-let insurance in place too, before renting out your property.

    Popular covers include property owners’ liability and contents insurance, for accidents on your property, plus buildings cover to protect the property itself.

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions.

Helpful articles for landlords


27 April 2021 • 3-minute read

A guide to letting agent fees for landlords

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Loss of rent insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.