Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Residential landlord insurance

Join over 315,000 residental landlords like you with cover from £10.90 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare landlord insurance cover from trusted brands

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,783 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why is residential landlords insurance important?

Managing tenants and sorting out maintenance – it’s a full-time job for thousands of UK property owners, especially under changing regulations and legal guidelines. From accidental damage cover to property owners’ liability protection, landlord insurance provides peace of mind for you and your tenants, knowing your house is in order if things go wrong.

  • residential property owners’ insurance, covering buildings, contents, and more
  • up to £50,000 rental indemnity if you have to evict your tenants and recover rent
  • financial support if your property is too damaged to rent out

Start your quote

What does residential landlord insurance cover?

Residential landlord insurance policies usually start with property owners’ liability cover, plus protection for your contents and the building itself. Rent protection is also a priority, so lots of landlords add tenant default insurance, in case their tenants start missing payments. And remember, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement in almost all cases, if you’ve employed someone to work for you.

What property types does residential property owners insurance cover?

We provide cover for a range of property types, including:

  • terraced and end terrace houses
  • semi-detached houses
  • detached houses
  • bungalows
  • maisonettes
  • individual flats in purpose-built blocks or buildings
  • individual flats in converted buildings or houses
  • entire purpose-built buildings with multiple flats
  • entire converted buildings or houses with multiple flats

Buildings insurance

In case disaster hits and your property gets damaged.

What's typically covered by buildings insurance?

  • damage to your property caused by incidents like fire, lightning, and explosion
  • ariel and malicious damage
  • escape of water damage

For example:

  • a bad storm damages your property’s roof
  • your property’s walls are damaged by water escaping from a burst pipe

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • accidental damage to the property caused by your tenants – you’ll need to add our specific accidental damage cover for this
  • emergencies like repairing a burst pipe or a boiler breakdown – home emergency cover is designed to take care of these
  • You can include these optional covers in the same policy, just start a quote and tell us more about your rental property.

Landlords’ contents insurance

In case disaster hits and your contents get damaged.

What's typically covered by landlords’ contents insurance?

  • damage to your property caused by incidents like fire, lightning, and explosion
  • ariel and malicious damage, and theft
  • escape of water damage

Contents include things like your appliances, furniture, and household goods.

For example:

  • the TV and kitchen appliances you’ve provided for your tenants are stolen during a break-in
  • a burst pipe in the bathroom causes damage to your contents

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • accidental damage to the property caused by your tenants – you’ll need to add our specific accidental damage cover for this

You can include this optional cover in the same policy, just start a quote and tell us more about your rental property.

Accidental damage insurance

In case your tenant or their guests accidentally damage your property.

What's typically covered by accidental damage insurance?

  • unexpected physical damage to your property or buildings, contents, fixtures and fittings, caused by your tenants or their visitors

Make sure you add the right cover – as well as accidental damage protection, you’ll need to include specific buildings, contents, fixtures and fittings cover when deciding on what you want to insure, depending on the items you want to protect. Start a quote now and put it all together.

For example:

  • your tenant drops a heavy object, damaging the flooring
  • a lamp you’ve provided for your tenants gets broken while they’re moving in

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • malicious damage caused by tenants, and trace/access – these aren’t automatically included by every insurer, so check your quote carefully

Tenant default insurance

In case your tenants don’t keep up their rental payments.

What's typically covered by tenant default insurance?

  • up to £50,000 rental indemnity across a 12 month rental payment period, if you have to evict your tenants for not paying rent

For example:

  • your tenant loses their job and falls behind with their rent. You end up serving notice and need to recover the lost payments.

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • legal advice – our legal expenses cover can help with the legal costs you incur due to tenant default

Property owners’ liability insurance

In case you’re responsible for injuries or damage, as the property’s owner.

What's typically covered by property owners’ liability insurance?

  • legal liability for injuries, accidental loss, or damage, as the owner of the property

For example:

  • your tenant’s child trips on a loose skirting board, falling and breaking their shoulder
  • a tile comes loose from the roof and damages a car parked outside your property

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • accidental damage to your own property

Landlord home emergency cover

In case the boiler fails, or there’s a plumbing or electrical emergency.

What's typically covered by landlord home emergency cover?

  • emergency boiler repairs and replacements, up to £500
  • plumbing, drainage, and electrical emergencies

For example:

  • a burst pipe floods your bathroom, making it inaccessible
  • the boiler breaks down and your tenants can’t heat the property

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • annual boiler servicing – you’ll need specific boiler cover for this
  • escape of water

Legal expenses insurance

In case you face legal costs, as the property’s landlord.

  • repossession – covering your legal costs when trying to regain possession of the property, and appointing a solicitor for you
  • property damage – covering your legal costs if over £1,000 of damage is made to your property, and appointing a solicitor for you
  • tenant eviction – covering the legal costs of evicting your tenants (if you choose to add our specific tenant default insurance, this can pick up the rental payments they owe you)
  • rent recovery – covering your legal costs when recovering rent you’re owed, if it’s late by one calendar month
  • tax protection and contractual disputes – representing and negotiating for you, if a full enquiry is made into your personal tax affairs, or during a contractual dispute over goods and services

You’ll also get access to a 24/7 legal advice helpline, for instant support and expertise.

For example:

  • your tenant is refusing to pay their rent and you need to begin legal proceedings
  • you need assistance when HMRC begin an investigation into your taxes

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does residential landlords insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £10.90 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for customers purchasing landlord buildings cover only policy - 10% of customers paid £130.80 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £10.90/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example residential landlord cover insurance quotes, real prices

zurich insurance

£49.06 /month

£436.11 /year

Renting an end of detached house to a family

  • Residential
  • Detached house
  • 3 bedrooms
  • 1 bathroom
  • Built between 1980 and 1989
  • 1-2 years
  • Occupied
  • Based in Edinburgh
  • Landlord buildings

    £250,001 to £300,000

  • Landlords' contents

    £7,501 to £10,000

  • Accidental Damage


zurich insurance

£56.37 /month

£501.07 /year

Renting a detached house to a large family

  • Residential
  • Detached house
  • 5 bedrooms
  • 3 bathrooms
  • Built between 1945 and 1979
  • Over 5 years
  • Occupied
  • Based in Kingston upon Hull
  • Landlord buildings

    £500,001 to £600,000

  • Landlords' contents

    £10,001 to £12,500

  • Accidental Damage


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 14/01/2022). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your property. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose residential landlord insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

What if my property is unoccupied?

If you've bought insurance for an unoccupied property, you'll be asked to confirm if the property is expected to be occupied within 60 days of the policy starting.

After this, you must contact us to confirm when the property becomes occupied – if you don't tell us, this can cause a delay in any claims being processed.

You should also be aware that you can't claim for lost rent under the loss of rent section of your insurance if your property becomes unoccupied.

What if my tenant's situation changes?

If your tenant's employment status changes – or if a new tenant moves in and their employment status is different to the previous tenant – you'll need to tell us immediately. If you don't, it could cause a delay in any claims being processed.

Are carpets and curtains covered?

The definition of 'fixtures and fittings' will depend on the insurer – sometimes, it will include laminate flooring, carpets, curtains and blinds.

It's a good idea to check the wording in your policy to understand what's covered.

Read more about contents insurance for landlords and buildings insurance.

Will tenant default insurance cover me if my property becomes unoccupied?

If your property becomes unoccupied, you won't be able to make a claim for lost rent under tenant default cover.

This also applies if your tenant falls into arrears and can't pay their rent, but you're not planning to evict them. You can only claim for lost rent under tenant default cover if you start repossession proceedings.

Read more about tenant default insurance and rent guarantee insurance.

What if I'm subletting my property?

It's vital that any tenancy agreement that you have is between you and the occupant of the property.

If the occupant of your property has a tenancy agreement with a third party (such as a letting agency or a local authority) and not you as the property owner, then your insurance policy could be cancelled and you won't be able to make any claims.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. "Settled" covers paid, declined or withdrawn. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis. Our specialist partner Sedgwick will pay the claims on behalf of the insurer. Reviewed on 24/04/2024.

Example claim

Having residential landlords’ insurance through Simply Business has saved property owners thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Patrick saved more than £46,700

A flood in Patrick’s (not his real name) property, caused intentionally by his tenants before their eviction, did extensive damage to his carpets and hallways, as well as bedroom furnishings and fittings. The optional contents, buildings, fixtures and fittings cover added to Patrick’s residential landlords’ insurance policy helped cover his replacement and repair costs.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of malicious damage

  • Patrick’s costs


    The excess amount stated in Patrick’s policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 315,000 landlord customers now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,783 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Residential landlord insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying landlord insurance or you’ve been letting your property for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about home emergency cover for landlords. You can also check out our landlord insurance FAQs.

  • You aren’t legally required to take out a specific landlord policy, but remember – a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities, and a mortgage lender will usually demand you have specific landlord cover in place, before you let your property.

    Popular covers include property owners’ liability and contents insurance, for accidents on your property, plus buildings cover to protect the property itself.

  • This will depend on your specific circumstances, the type of property you’re renting out, your tenants and various other factors. Right now, our landlord policy prices start from £9.53 per month.

    To work this out, 10% of our customers paid up to £114.35 a year for a landlord buildings cover only policy between 1st April 2023 - 30th June 2023. Equivalent to £9.53 per month based on a monthly cost when paying for the policy in one annual payment. Paying monthly is usually more expensive as you'll pay interest. Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

  • Rent guarantee and tenant default cover are often misunderstood as being the same thing. Both of these covers are designed to protect a landlord’s income if their tenant stops paying rent – however, there are key differences which you should be aware of before adding either protection to your landlord insurance policy.

    Tenant default cover is designed to pay you the rent you’re owed, if you decide to evict tenants who are behind on the rent. Among other things, you’ll need to serve a Section 21 or Section 8 notice, or both, to claim on this type of cover.

    Rent guarantee insurance is a different form of protection. It can include cover for properties left unoccupied for a period of time between tenants, as well as instances where the property is uninhabitable due to renovation work, malicious damage or disasters like fire and flooding. It’s often an option you can discuss with a letting agent, who specialises in managing the property for you.

  • If you’ve provided furniture and other contents for your tenants – maybe even a TV or art for the walls – your property is known as ‘furnished’, and protection is key for most landlords. You can buy contents insurance as part of your landlord insurance policy, just add it when completing your landlord insurance quote

  • Home insurance is required when you want to insure the home you’re living in against accidental loss or damage.

    Landlord insurance is different – it’s required when you own a property that you rent out to a third party, and don’t live in yourself. It covers different insurance risks from a home policy, taking into account the type of tenant you rent to and how long you’ve owned the property. It also allows you to insure the property and protect yourself against things like loss of rental income, and malicious damage caused by your tenants.

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for landlords


27 April 2021 • 3-minute read

A guide to letting agent fees for landlords

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Residential landlord insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.