Hamburger icon


  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Manage your policy
Telephone iconCall Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Plant and machinery insurance

Quick, easy and specific. Compare and buy today.

Start your quote

Compare quotes from leading brands

nig logo.
chiswell logo.
ageas logo.
ukGeneral logo.
hiscox logo.
axa logo.
zurich logo.
aig logo.
covea logo.
churchill logo.
finsbury logo.
checklist logo.

Trusted by 600,000 customers

Insuring businesses and landlords for over a decade

conversation logo.

Satisfaction score of 9/10

For public liability insurance

team logo.

Award-winning claims team

With a UK-based team available 24/7

Owned or hired, protect your machinery

If you’re a building contractor or tradesman, you probably spend a lot of time working on the client’s site, either with your own machinery, or a plant that you’ve hired. If these are damaged or stolen, you’ll need to replace or repair them. Plant insurance can cover this cost, while plant hire insurance protects you against the loss of business machinery that you’ve hired. Use our simple form to build an insurance policy that’s tailored to you, including this cover option.

Popular types of machinery you may want to cover with this policy include:

  • Diggers and mini-diggers
  • Cherry pickers
  • Concrete mixers
  • Cranes
  • Dozers
  • Dumpers
  • Excavators and mini-excavators
  • Forklifts
  • Generators
  • Loading shovels
  • Ride on road rollers
  • Telehandlers
  • Trailers

...and more.

Start your quote

Other covers

  • Public liability insurance
  • Professional indemnity insurance
  • Employers' liability insurance
  • Commercial insurance
  • Personal accident insurance
  • View all business insurance covers

See also

  • Business insurance

contracts cover

Hired-in plant insurance

Like with most things, if you hire in a plant or machinery, you’re responsible for keeping it safe and in the agreed condition, whether it’s in transit or on site. Hired plant insurance covers your legal liability, under the terms of your hiring agreement, to pay compensation for any damage to the plant. This includes legal defence costs and continuing hire charges for up to £15,000 for any single item.

tool cover alt

Own plant insurance

Do you own your plant? If you own the plant or machinery, keeping it insured is still important. You can include own plant cover with your full insurance policy, to protect you against loss, damage or theft.

Add plant and machinery insurance to your policy

If you already have a policy with us and want to add cover for your own or hired plant, give our team a call on 0333 014 6683. We’ll check you’re eligible, and help get you up to date.

watch the details

Plant & machinery cover details

It’s very important to make sure you understand what you need from your insurance. Use the check points below to get you thinking.

  • Check the documents before you buy for exclusions and excesses. For example, your equipment may only be insured if there’s a certain level of security on site
  • Don’t underestimate the value of your equipment, as this could mean you're not covered at the right level
  • If you decide this cover’s right for you, you’ll need to add it on to your full business insurance policy

EL claim

Sorted your employers' liability?

Remember, if you employ staff, you’re legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. It will cover the cost of a claim from an employee who has been injured at work, or who has become seriously ill as a result of working for you.

tool cover

Need cover for your day to day tools?

With Simply Business, you can insure up to £10,000 worth of tools and equipment. Read more about tools insurance.

More covers

  • Business buildings insurance
  • Business contents insurance
  • Business equipment insurance
  • Business interruption insurance
  • Business legal protection insurance
  • Contract works insurance
  • High risk insurance
  • Laptop insurance for your business
  • Office insurance
  • Product liability insurance
  • Stock insurance
  • Tool insurance

Tradesmen and construction insurance

  • Bricklayer insurance
  • Builder insurance
  • Construction company insurance
  • Electrician insurance
  • Flooring contractor insurance
  • Groundworks insurance
  • Painter and decorator insurance
  • Plumbing insurance
  • Roofer insurance
  • Scaffolder insurance
  • Tradesman insurance
  • More tradesmen and construction insurance

Rated 4.7/5 by customers

Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
feefo logo.

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist.

Read our reviews

It is a very good and easy to use service. I've been a customer for several years and the renewal system is very straight forward. I've always found the quotes competitive too. I'd definitely recommend Simply Business.

R Matthews, Handyman

Chevron right icon
Business insurance
Chevron right icon
Our range of covers
Chevron right icon
Plant and machinery insurance

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Facebook icon

Follow us on Facebook

Twitter icon

Follow us on Twitter

YouTube icon

Subscribe to our videos on YouTube

LinkedIn icon

Follow us on LinkedIn


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2020 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.