Insurance for the self-employed

Quick, easy and specific. Compare and buy today.

Start your quote
  • Zurich
  • AXA
  • Hiscox
  • Maltings
  • Covea
  • Ageas
  • UK General
  • AIG

Self-employed insurance

As a self-employed worker, you need insurance that reflects your unique setup.

With Simply Business you get to choose from a range of covers to build a single business insurance policy with a single premium, a single renewal date, and just the one set of documents.

Whether you work on your own or employ people, it’s quick, quality cover, without the hassle.

From public liability insurance to employers’ liability insurance, fill out our quote form to find cover that fits you, your business, and your clients.

Start your quote

What is self-employed insurance?

Self-employed insurance provides tailored protection to those who work for themselves, rather than for an employer. Core covers include public liability and professional indemnity, whilst employers’ liability is usually a legal requirement if you have one employee or more.

Here’s a self-employed insurance scenario: a self-employed home worker accidentally dropped their laptop on the floor. It was beyond repair, but the customer was able to claim for the cost to replace the laptop.

What insurance do the self-employed need?

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is often an important cover for self-employed professionals, as it can protect you if someone is injured or their property is damaged because of your business.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance is a vital consideration for all businesses that give advice or offer professional services to other businesses. It can cover you if you give faulty advice that causes financial loss to a client.

Employers’ liability insurance

If you have employees, contractors, casual workers or temporary staff, you’re usually required by law to take out employers’ liability insurance. It’ll cover claims from employees who’ve been injured or become seriously ill as a result of working for you.

Self-employed insurance policy details

  • Make sure you read your policy documents carefully, and that you understand any exclusions that may apply
  • Find out what level of professional indemnity insurance your clients might expect before you buy
  • If you employ people, even in your own home, you’re usually legally obliged to take out employers’ liability insurance – not doing this could lead to a heavy fine

Do you work from home?

If you operate your business from home, your regular home and contents insurance policy is unlikely to cover your business items, so you may want to consider taking out separate insurance.

Add self-employed insurance to your current policy

If you already have a policy with us and want to add this cover, give our team a call on 0333 014 6683. We’ll check you’re eligible, and help get you up to date. 

Customer reviews

Our rating

4.6 /5

Working out our score

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist. For more details on how this works, click below.

Read our reviews

Customer testimonials

“That’s my insurance sorted for another year by @simplybusiness! They're ever so helpful.”

Susie Tucker, Business

What our customers are saying

We value the reviews and ratings we receive from our customers, whether they’re good or bad. We use this feedback to continuously improve how we work with (and for) our customers.

Contact us