Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Plasterers insurance

Join over 6,500 plasterers like you. Compare tailored insurance from trusted brands.

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

Compare quotes from leading brands

Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,376 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

Why do you need plasterers insurance?

Business insurance for plasterers exists to protect you against the cost of mistakes and accidents. Ever wondered what you’d do if a tricky dry lining project didn’t go to plan, for instance? Or if you injured someone without meaning to? The right cover helps you manage the risks. It’s reassurance for you, your team and your customers.

  • Stress less about accidental damage to customer property while carrying out your plastering work
  • Get support to keep you going when an unexpected event gets in the way
  • From your specialist tools to your business equipment to your employees, cover what you need
Start your quote

What does plasterers insurance cover?

As the person who’s closest to your plastering business, we let you customise your insurance to meet your needs. Only interested in the basics? Looking to add in extra cover for incidents such as accidents outside of work or HMRC investigations, leaving no stone unturned? It’s your policy, your way.

Public liability insurance for plasterers

In case someone else experiences injury or property damage as a result of your plastering business.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • accidents that happen because of your plastering work, or because of your employee’s plastering work (keep in mind, if you employ people, you’re legally required to have employers’ liability insurance)
  • damage caused by you or your employee to someone else's property
  • injury caused to someone else by you or your employee

For example:

  • you’re plastering a customer’s bathroom ceiling, and you accidentally scratch some newly fitted tiles with your trowel in the process
  • your apprentice is trying to cover up the sash windows in the living room so the plastering can begin, but they lose their balance, cracking one of the glass panes

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • any other work you do that isn’t specifically plastering, such as painting, building, rendering – you’d need to insure this as a separate trade in your policy

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case something happens to your employee while they’re working for your plastering business.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an employee (including casual and temporary workers) falling ill as a result of being employed by you, and suing you for damages
  • an employee getting injured while carrying out work for you

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • your apprentice is plastering the ceiling and they fall off the ladder and break their back
  • your employee suffers chronic migraines after breathing in solvent fumes in a badly ventilated house that’s being redecorated

Tools insurance

In case something happens to your plastering tools.

What’s typically covered by tools insurance?

  • theft of your plastering tools, either on site or stored at your business premises
  • flood, fire, and accidental damage to your plastering tools

For example:

  • your plastering trowel and your steel taping knife are stolen from your parked van while you’re working inside a customer’s house
  • you accidentally drop your taping knife as you’re plastering a wall and the knife breaks, so you need to buy a new one

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • your plastering tools while locked in a vehicle overnight – to add in this protection, you’d need to select tools overnight cover as an optional extra

Read more about tools insurance

Contract works insurance

In case your plastering work in progress is destroyed or disrupted.

What’s typically covered by contract works insurance?

  • damage to your ongoing plastering work on a commercial or domestic premises
  • damage or theft to the plastering tools and equipment left on site that are needed to complete a job

For example:

  • you’re working at a construction site and vandals set fire to the building you’re plastering, which sets back the completion date of the contract
  • there’s a flood at a customer’s house where you’ve been doing the plastering – it damages the tools and materials you’ve been storing there to finish the job, causing a delay to the completion date

Read more about contract works insurance

Business and office equipment insurance

In case something happens to your business and office equipment.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • theft or loss of the equipment you use to run your business (i.e. operational equipment, rather than plastering tools) while stored at your business premises
  • flood, fire, or accidental damage to your equipment

For example:

  • you knock your laptop off the table while you’re creating an invoice for a recent dot and dab plasterboard project, breaking the screen
  • the desktop computer you use for your plastering business is stolen from your premises

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with legal costs as the owner of your plastering business.

What’s typically covered by legal expenses insurance?

  • legal costs that crop up in the day-to-day running of your company
  • the cost of claims relating to property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • the cost of resolving disputes, whether to do with tax and compliance or your employees
  • a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline, and crisis communications support to help you protect the reputation of your plastering business

For example:

  • you fired your trainee plasterer after discovering that they were stealing drywall materials from you, but they’re denying it and accusing you of unfair dismissal, so you need to defend your legal rights
  • your plastering company is being looked into by HMRC, and you (and any other directors) need help responding to HMRC’s enquiries

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you've covered has an accident.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death at work or outside of work, for anyone covered on the policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you’re working on a plastering job and the wind slams the heavy front door shut on your hand, so two of your fingers have to be amputated
  • your casual labourer suffers a slipped disc lifting weights at the gym

Read more about personal accident insurance

How much does plasterers insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £6.56 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

How we work out example prices We take the highest price from the bottom 10 per cent of all our customers paying in monthly instalments (Based on data from 1 Sep 2021 - 31st Feb 2022). Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

Example plasterers insurance quotes, real prices

£9.39 /month

£73.89 /year

A self employed plasterer doing smaller domestic jobs

  • 1-2 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Nottingham

Public liability


Employers’ liability

Not included


Not included

£48.26 /month

£428.98 /year

A family run plastering business that operate with 1 office based employee

  • 3-4 years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Solihull

Public liability


Employers’ liability




How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 30/03/2022). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance coverLowest excessHighest excess
Public liability£100£2500
Employers' liabilityNo excessNo excess
Business and office equipment£50£750

The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same way

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Not included

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Not included

Access support by phone or online

Not included

We handle claims, so you can get on with business

Not included

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Can I just cover my most expensive tools?

Make sure you cover the total cost of replacing all your tools or you’ll only get a proportion of your claim paid out if something happens to them. Learn about tools cover.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Will tools insurance cover all my equipment?

Depending on what you use to do your work, you may need other covers.

You may need more than tools insurance – for example, business equipment insurance if you have a work laptop, plant insurance if you use machinery.

Does plasterers insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider builders insurance or painter and decorator insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£28 million in claims paid out in 2021

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2021

Example claim

Having plastering insurance through Simply Business has saved plasterers thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Kris saved more than £3,000

Kris (name altered for privacy) was doing a plastering job where there were some pipes coming out of the customer’s property. As Kris was trying to work around these pipes, he accidentally cracked them. Because this was his mistake, he needed to pay for the pipes to be replaced. Luckily he could turn to his plastering insurance to recoup the expense.

Insurance payout


Covering the cost of accidental damage

Kris costs


The excess amount stated in Kris policy terms

Chosen by 800,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 800,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Quote icon

    Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Liked icon

    Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,376 reviews

  • Feedback icon

    Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • Precise icon

    24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Plasterers insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about plasterers insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • Yes. It’s important to make sure you have the right type and level of insurance for the different types of work you do. For example, if you’re a plumber, you may also do building work on certain jobs – you’ll need additional cover for this, but you can have it all on the one policy. When you start your quote, you’ll have the option to add another trade or profession to your policy. If you need to add a third trade, give us a call on 0333 043 8527 and one of our insurance experts will help you set up your policy in minutes.

  • Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to give us a call on 0333 043 8527 to update your policy before you take on this new work. If you don’t have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

  • Each insurer looks at CCJs and IVAs differently – some apply stricter rules than others, but having a CCJ or IVA doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to buy insurance.

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 043 8527. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for plasterers

Tradesperson applying plaster to trowel

3 Aug 2018 • 4-minute read

How to become a self-employed plasterer in the UK

Plasterers insurance

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceNot for profit insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.