Contract works insurance

Quick, easy and specific. Compare and buy today.

Start your quote
  • Zurich
  • AXA
  • Hiscox
  • Maltings
  • Covea
  • Ageas
  • UK General
  • AIG

Cover your construction work while it’s in progress

Contract works insurance covers construction work that’s in progress on a building site. You will need it if you have any client contracts that make you responsible for partly-completed work.

For example, you’re midway through building an extension when a fire sweeps through the construction site. Your contract works insurance could cover the cost of redoing the work that’s been damaged by the fire.

Your contract works insurance can’t cover all risks - it won’t cover damage caused by terrorism, for example - but it will usually cover risks like fire, flood, storm, vandalism and theft.

When you buy contract works insurance you need to choose a cover level that matches the total cost of your largest project. You need to think about what it would cost to redo the work from scratch, including labour and materials.

Use Simply Business to build a tailored policy for your construction business. Your core cover will be public liability insurance, and then you can choose to add contract works insurance, plus other additional covers like tools insurance and plant insurance.

Start your quote

What is contract works insurance?

Contract works insurance covers work in progress on a construction site. Construction companies need it if their client contracts hold them responsible for unfinished work. The insurance can pay to redo the work if it’s damaged by an insured event like fire, flood, storm, vandalism or theft.

What does contract works insurance cover?

Contract works insurance can cover the cost of repairing or redoing work on a construction site if it’s damaged or destroyed while it’s in progress. It can cover the cost of the labour, materials and tools that are needed to restore the work if it’s damaged by an insured event like fire or flood.

How much does contract works insurance cost?

The cost of your contract works insurance depends on several factors, including your business activities and cover level. Remember that your cover level must be the cost of your largest project. The quickest way to get a price is to run a business insurance quote, including contract works insurance.

Construction insurance policy details

  • Make sure you read your policy documents carefully in order to understand any exclusions
  • If you take out equipment cover, be careful not to underestimate the replacement value of your equipment
  • Try to find out what level of professional indemnity insurance your clients might expect before you buy
  • If you employ people, even in your own home, you are legally obliged to take out employers’ liability insurance. Failure to do so could result in heavy fines

Need more details? Hear more about your business cover options from our expert team in a quick set of videos. Just choose the cover you’re interested in and get some expert insight into how each option can help your business. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

Customer reviews

Our rating

4.6 /5

Working out our score

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist. For more details on how this works, click below.

Read our reviews

Customer testimonials

“That’s my insurance sorted for another year by @simplybusiness! They're ever so helpful.”

Susie Tucker, Business

What our customers are saying

We value the reviews and ratings we receive from our customers, whether they’re good or bad. We use this feedback to continuously improve how we work with (and for) our customers.

Contact us