Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Restaurant insurance

Join over 1,809 restaurants like you with PL cover from £3.19 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Get tailored restaurant insurance quotes in less than 7 minutes
Restaurant serves attending a team huddle before the dinner service

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,770 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why is restaurant insurance important?

You might have the cleanest of kitchens – and perfect tens from your last inspection – but accidents will happen. Unfortunately, slips and mistakes tend to come with the territory, but restaurant insurance is designed to protect the business you’ve built. From a customer injury to an employee dispute, wrap it all into one policy.

  • restaurant liability insurance from public and product to employers’ liability
  • peace of mind for you, your customers and employees
  • £1 million public liability cover minimum

Start your quote

What does restaurant insurance cover?

We’ll start off with public and product liability insurance – a popular protection for the restaurant industry. It’s built to cover against someone getting injured or ill because of your business, or expensive claims for property damage. From there, you can add the covers that may suit your business, from employers’ liability to protection for expensive equipment and essential stock.

Public liability insurance

In case you or your employee injure someone or damage their property.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance for restaurants?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage to someone’s property, because of your restaurant business
  • an injury or illness caused by your business activities or products
  • accidental damage, illness or injuries caused by your employees

For example:

  • a waiter spills sauce on the floor and a customer slips on it, hurting their back
  • you accidentally spill hot coffee on a child, causing first-degree burns
  • a customer sues you after suffering an allergic reaction to the food you’ve served

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • if you do employ anyone, you’re usually required by law to have employers’ liability insurance too.

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case anyone gets ill or injured while working for your restaurant.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an injury or illness that comes as a result of working for you (including temps and casual workers)

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • [a waiter falls in your kitchen, breaking his leg
  • your trainee chef cuts themselves while prepping for the evening service

Restaurant building insurance

In case something happens to your restaurant premises.

What’s typically covered by restaurant building insurance?

  • the cost of repairing damage to the structure of your building (or rebuilding it from scratch)
  • damage to fixtures and fittings
  • damage to underground pipes and cables you’re responsible for

For example:

  • your building is badly damaged after a deep fat fryer catches fire, and your restaurant has to be completely rebuilt
  • a flood destroys your restaurant’s floorboards and internal doors, which need replacing

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • tenants’ improvements – changes to the property’s structure which you’ve organised and paid for yourself, like partition walls or wooden flooring

Read more about building insurance

Contents insurance

In case something happens to your restaurant’s fixtures and fittings or operational equipment.

What’s typically covered by business contents insurance?

  • accidental damage to your restaurant’s fixtures and fittings, or the equipment you use to run the business
  • theft, flood and fire damage

For example:

  • your pressure cooker, barbecue grill, dough mixer and toaster are stolen from your restaurant overnight
  • a new employee operates your dough mixer incorrectly, breaking the unit

Read more about contents insurance

Stock insurance

In case something happens to your prepared food, raw ingredients or other essential materials.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • loss, damage or theft of things like your fresh or frozen produce, prepared food items, branded goods and other materials you use to stock your restaurant

For example:

  • your fridge develops a fault, causing your fresh produce to go off
  • a burst pipe in your kitchen causes a flood, and the water destroys the dry ingredients you keep in your storage room

Read more about stock insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you have to pay legal costs while running your restaurant business.

  • legal costs associated with day-to-day operations, like an employee dispute
  • property damage, nuisance or trespass and associated legal costs
  • HMRC, tax and compliance issues, if they come up
  • includes a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline and crisis support to help you protect your reputation, as a popular restaurant

For example:

  • you get into a legal dispute with an employee over their contracted working hours
  • due to a random spot check on your tax affairs, you need to pay for legal representation

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you’ve covered has an accident – at work, or elsewhere.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death of anyone you’ve chosen to cover in your policy – whether this happens at work or elsewhere
  • lost income, hospital bills or other medical costs associated with the accident

For example:

  • you burn your hand while setting up your outdoor barbecue area
  • an employee you’ve covered breaks their ankle while playing football, keeping them off work

Read more about personal accident insurance

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of business insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does restaurant insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.49 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example restaurant insurance quotes, real prices

chiswell insurance

£124.79 /month

£1109.22 /year

A small, family-run licensed restaurant with live music once a week

  • 2-3 years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Swindon
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Stock

    Not included

maltings insurance

£124.76 /month

£1108.95 /year

A medium-sized restaurant using a fryer (serviced every year)

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 5 employees
  • Based in Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Stock


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 09/03/2023). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Main building









Employers liability

No excess

No excess

Public liability

No excess


The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose restaurant business insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Does restaurant insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider guest housing & hostelry in leisure trades or hotels & motel in leisure trades?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do restaurant insurance claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£39 million in claims paid out in 2022

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2022

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

Example claim

Having restaurant business insurance through Simply Business has saved our customers thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Mark saved more than £8,900

Mark (not his real name) was hit by a heavy injuries claim when his chef burned her hand while handling a pan full of hot oil. His employers’ liability insurance covered the cost of exposure to harmful substances.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of employers’ liability

  • Mark’s costs


    The excess amount stated in Mark’s policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,770 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Restaurant insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about insurance for restaurants. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • Public and product liability insurance is often an important cover for restaurants – it’s designed to protect you if someone is injured or suffers an illness, or their property is damaged, because of your business.

    Are you hiring staff? If so, you’re usually required by law to take out employer’s liability insurance, even if it’s for a contractor team member, or casual and temporary staff. You’ll face fines of up to £2,500 a day for anyone you haven’t covered correctly.

    From there, you can pick and choose from other specific protection for your restaurant’s stock, equipment, fixtures and fittings and the building(s) you use. Our restaurant insurance policies are flexible – you can bundle everything into one policy or go for just one or two covers, depending on what you need.

  • If you employ any staff, employers’ liability insurance is almost always a legal requirement for your business, and you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for anyone who isn’t covered properly.

    Alongside this crucial employers’ protection, a restaurant insurance quote will usually give you the opportunity to cover lots of different risks, specific to your business, from public and product liability – in case of things like food poisoning, injuries or damage – to personal accident and stock damage.

  • It can do – but you’ll need to make sure you take out public and product liability as part of your policy.

    Public and product liability insurance is built to protect you against claims relating to accidental injury or illness caused by your business. The “product’ part refers to the items a business sells, which for you means food and drink.

    And it’s important to know that if you employ people at your restaurant or takeaway (including family members), you’ll only be covered for their actions if you have employers’ liability insurance too.

  • A deep fat fryer is a high-risk piece of kit, so there are lots of safety measures you have to follow when you use one. If you’re claiming for unexpected costs through your insurance and you’re discovered not to have met these conditions, it could invalidate your policy. This means you wouldn’t get a payout.

    To avoid this, you’ll need to check the requirements for the make and model of the fryer you’re planning to use at your restaurant. If you don’t have access to the manual, you can call the manufacturer and ask them for the information.

    The top six criteria you may need to comply with are:

    1. cleaning schedule
    2. service record
    3. safety equipment
    4. volume of use
    5. replacement of oils
    6. contractors who are registered to work on fryers
  • A bar or pub carries different licenses and risks to a restaurant, but it’s easy to insure both. If your restaurant runs a bar, as many do, you’ll need to select “public houses / restaurant - licensed” in our trade/profession search box, when starting a quote with Simply Business.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for restaurant insurance

Chef adding the finishing sauce to a dish about to be served

25 Jul 2019 • 7-minute read

How to open a restaurant: a simple guide

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Restaurant insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.