Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Personal trainer insurance

Join over 3,200 PTs like you with cover from £3.19 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Personal trainer helping a client outside in the park using ropes

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,802 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need personal training insurance?

In your client’s local gym or your own home studio – wherever the job takes you, your clients build their personal goals around your business. From public liability insurance for personal trainers (built to cover damage and injuries) to personal accident policies for your own incidents, our cover works hard to protect the business you’ve built.

  • public liability insurance for personal trainers starting at £1 million
  • peace of mind, letting you focus on your client’s progress, not the what-ifs
  • optional personal accident cover for your own accidents and injuries

Start your quote

What does personal trainer insurance (UK-specific) cover?

We’ll start off with public liability insurance (personal trainer-specific) – a popular protection for the PT industry. You can also include product liability cover, for property damage and injuries or illness caused by items you’ve sold. From there, you can pick and choose the covers that may suit your business, from personal accident insurance to employers’ liability cover, which is a legal requirement for most employers.

Public liability insurance for personal trainers

In case your PT business causes an injury, illness or property damage.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage caused by your business to someone else’s property
  • injury caused by your PT business, or because of your work
  • accidental damage or injury caused by your employees

If you do employ anyone, you’re usually required by law to have employers’ liability insurance too.

For example:

  • a client breaks their arm in a training session and decides to claim against you
  • your pregnant client falls during a workout with you, and needs hospital treatment

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case an employee gets sick or injured while working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an injury or illness that comes as a result of working for you (including temps and casual workers)

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • one of the trainers you employ is injured while using faulty equipment in your studio and claims compensation
  • a temp you’ve hired dislocates their shoulder during a park run and makes a claim against you

Tools insurance

In case specialist kit like your kettlebell is lost, stolen or damaged.

What’s typically covered by tools insurance?

  • your fitness and assessment equipment, like a percussive therapy device or other portable electronic tools
  • theft or accidental damage while your tools are on a client’s premises, or in transit (in the UK, and in a vehicle you own or lease)

For example:

  • your kettlebell set is stolen during a break-in at your studio
  • while running a park bootcamp you lose your latest generation flywheel training device

Read more about tools insurance

Stock insurance

In case the supplies you rely on are lost, stolen or damaged.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • loss, damage or theft of the essentials you keep in stock, like protein and energy products or branded materials

For example:

  • a new import of keto bars you keep in stock for clients is stolen from your business premises
  • a fire in your studio damages your stock of branded towels and water bottles

Read more about stock insurance

Business and office equipment insurance

In case something happens to equipment like your treadmill or tablet.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • accidental loss, damage or theft of the equipment you use to run your PT business, like your laptop or tablet

For example:

  • the tablet you use to track your clients’ workouts is stolen from your bag during an outdoor training session
  • a flood in your workout space damages three new treadmills and your laptop

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with legal costs while running your PT business.

  • the costs you incur from day-to-day business issues, like a contractor dispute
  • legal costs associated with property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • dealing with HMRC, tax and compliance issues, if they end up costing you money or you need legal representation
  • a tax advice helpline, 24/7 confidential legal support and crisis PR assistance to help you protect your reputation as a sought after PT

For example:

  • HMRC investigate your business tax affairs as part of a random spot-check, and you need legal representation, with cover for your costs
  • a summer temp sues you for unfair dismissal

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you’ve covered has an accident at work or elsewhere.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death at work – or off duty – for anyone covered by your PT insurance policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you’re running a bootcamp and a client drops a kettlebell, breaking a bone in your hand and forcing you to take two weeks off work
  • your employee falls down some steps at a wedding, breaking their knee and signing them off work for three months

Read more about personal accident insurance

How much does PT insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.49 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example personal trainer insurance quotes, real prices

covea insurance

£7.22 /month

£52.20 /year

A newly self-employed personal trainer who works from a gym and in clients’ homes

  • Less than 1 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Birkenhead
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability

    £Not included

  • Business equipment

    £Not included

hiscox insurance

£23.11 /month

£205.40 /year

A personal training limited company that hires out a studio and works with professional sportspeople

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Middlesbrough
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Business equipment


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 23/09/2020). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess







Business and office equipment



The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Can I just cover my most expensive tools?

Make sure you cover the total cost of replacing all your tools or you’ll only get a proportion of your claim paid out if something happens to them. Learn about tool cover.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Will tools insurance cover all my equipment?

Depending on what you use to do your work, you may need other covers.

You may need more than tools insurance – for example, business equipment insurance if you have a work laptop, plant insurance if you use machinery.

Does PT insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider massage insurance or fitness instructor insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

Example claim

Having personal training insurance through Simply Business has saved fitness professionals thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Steve saved more than £6,000

A fire at the unit next to Steve’s (not his real name) studio caused serious damage to his PT space, including a smashed glass door and water damage from the fire crew’s work to stop the spread. Steve’s insurance covered the fire damage, as well as lost business income during the repair work.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of fire damage

  • Steve’s costs


    The excess amount stated in Steve’s policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,802 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Personal trainer insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about PT insurance – starting with what insurance do I need as a personal trainer? You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • Public liability insurance will be a key cover for many personal trainers and other fitness instructors – it’s built to cover you for injuries and property damage, if your client or another member of the public makes a claim. Is there a risk that your client could get injured and sue for compensation, for example, because of your work?

    Alongside public liability insurance for PTs, you may want to add cover for things like your essential business equipment, kit, tools and stock. And if you employ anyone (including contractors or temps), employers’ liability cover is usually a legal requirement.

  • From client injuries and property damage to an employee getting hurt, the business of fitness carries specific everyday risks. A PT insurance policy is designed to keep your focus on your clients and their progress, not all the things that could go wrong.

    There’s no legal requirement for insurance for personal trainers in the UK, unless you employ anyone – if so, employers’ liability cover is usually required by law – but if you were hit with an expensive injury claim, for example, would you have the necessary funds to manage it?

  • Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to give us a call on 0333 043 8527 to update your policy before you take on this new work. If you don’t have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 043 8527. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for personal trainers

Personal trainer helping client in the gym do press ups

31 Jul 2020 • 3-minute read

How to become a personal trainer

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Personal trainer insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.