Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Teachers insurance

Join over 6,300 teachers & tutors like you with cover from £3.19 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Teacher asking students questions

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,802 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need teachers insurance?

Teaching insurance can protect you against the cost of accidents at work. You might not be able to stop them from happening, but you can make sure you're protected. Whether you need to protect yourself, your students, or your staff, teachers' insurance can provide peace of mind.

  • it can protect you if a student damages your property
  • it can mean you're prepared for the unexpected if a student takes legal action against you
  • you can be covered if any teaching materials are lost or stolen

Start your quote

What does teachers insurance cover?

You know teaching best – that's why we make sure you're in control of your cover. Whether you want to protect yourself against injury in the classroom or damage to your teaching materials, we've got a range of covers for you to pick from.

Public liability insurance for teachers

In case you or your employees injure someone or damage their property.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Legal costs and compensation payouts that result from claims brought against your business for:

  • injury caused by you or an employee
  • damage to property – either yours or someone else's
  • property damage caused by an employee of yours, such as a teaching assistant

For example:

  • a student trips over and injures themselves in your classroom
  • you accidentally spill your drink over your student's laptop
  • your employee breaks your student's iPad

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case an employee gets sick or injured while working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Legal expenses and compensation costs relating to claims made against your business, including:

  • an employee of yours injuring themselves while working for you

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • a teaching assistant injures themselves while unpacking some boxes

Professional indemnity insurance

In case a client loses money because of your advice, services or designs.

What’s typically covered by teacher professional indemnity insurance?

Legal expenses and compensation costs relating to claims made against your business, including:

  • professional negligence
  • advice that you give as part of your work

For example:

  • you don't cover the full syllabus during a course
  • a student claims that you've taught something incorrectly

Read more about professional indemnity insurance

Stock insurance

In case materials you're responsible for, like textbooks, are lost, stolen, or damaged.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • teaching materials that you sell on to your students

For example:

  • a textbook is damaged in a fire

Read more about stock insurance

Business and office equipment insurance

In case your teaching materials are damaged or stolen.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • teaching materials, such as books
  • laptops, printers and projectors

For example:

  • your laptop is stolen from your classroom
  • your books are damaged in a fire

What you’ll need additional cover for:

  • larger items that aren't covered by your single article limit. For example, if your policy says that your single article limit is £2,000 and you want to insure your laptop that's valued at £2,500, you'll need to specify this as a single item on your insurance policy.

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with legal costs from running your business.

  • legal costs associated with the day-to-day running of your business
  • tax and compliance disputes that might come up

For example:

  • you're taken to court after dismissing an employee
  • you and your fellow company directors are investigated by HMRC

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case anyone you’ve covered is accidentally injured, at or outside of work.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • the injury or death of anyone you've chosen to cover – whether this happens at work or not
  • lost income, hospital bills, or other medical costs associated with the accident

For example:

  • an employee breaks their ankle running to work
  • you trip over a cable and break your arm

Read more about personal accident insurance

How much does teachers' insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.49 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example teachers insurance quotes, real prices

chiswell insurance

£13.82 /month

£118.20 /year

A private tutor working on residential and commercial locations

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Oxford
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability

    Not included

  • Professional indemnity


chiswell insurance

£30.38 /month

£270.06 /year

A tutor company working on residential and commercial locations

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 1 employee
  • Based in Oxford
  • Public liability insurance


  • Employers' liability


  • Professional indemnity


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 21/02/2022). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Professional indemnity

No excess


Public liability






Portable equipment



Employers liability

No excess

No excess

You'll get a complete breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us. The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Does teachers' insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It’s important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider private tutor insurance or insurance for working with children?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of cover – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims team any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

Example claim

Having teacher insurance through Simply Business has saved teachers thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Patty saved more than £1,174

Patty (not her real name) was in a student's house demonstrating a science experiment using dry ice. It caused a crack in a marble table which couldn't be fixed. Luckily, Patty's insurance meant she was covered.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of the damage

  • Patty's costs


    The excess amount stated in Patty’s policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,802 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Teacher insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about teachers' insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • As a teacher, you're legally required to have employers' liability insurance if you have people working for you – such as teaching assistants. Employers' liability insurance covers you if someone who works for you has an accident or damages someone's property.

    Although other types of teachers' insurance are not required by law, there are some covers you should consider – including contents, stock, and public liability insurance.

  • You can still get cover if your work is based outside of the UK, or if you teach remotely.

    When you buy your policy with us, we'll ask you where your work is based – you'll just need to let us know at this stage. If you don't, there is a chance that you won't be covered by your insurance.

  • Yes. It’s important to make sure you have the right type and level of insurance for the different types of work you do. For example, if you're a teacher you might also work in a nursery – you’ll need additional cover for this, but you can have it all on the one policy.

    When you start your quote, you’ll have the option to add another trade or profession to your policy. If you need to add a third trade, give us a call on 0333 0146 683 and one of our insurance experts will help you set up your policy in minutes.

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills.

    Simply Business offers three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly instalments.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 0146 683. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for teachers

Female teacher stood in front of classroom of pupils

15 Jan 2020 • 6-minute read

How to become a teacher in the UK in six steps

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Teachers insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.