Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge Centre

Do I need a business licence in the UK?

3-minute read

Sam Bromley

26 October 2021

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Do you need a business licence to start a business in the UK? You might need a business licence to operate in some trades or industries.

If you want to know how to get a business licence, or find out how much a business licence costs, read on for a simple guide.

Get your free guide to small business licences

Download your free in-depth guide to small business licences in the UK. Get instant access to expert hints and tips in the click of a few buttons.

Your email address will be used by Simply Business to keep you posted with the latest news, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Simply Business Privacy policy.

Business licence – do I need one in the UK?

In general, you can set up a small business without a business licence. All you need to do is set up as self-employed, choosing a legal structure for your business and registering with HMRC.

But many specialised business activities need you to have a business licence. These include (but aren't limited to):

  • alcohol sales
  • construction
  • selling (or hiring out) animals
  • events
  • health and beauty

Some individual activities may also require one-off licences, for example, street parties or other public events.

There are other business types that may need a licence before they can trade, too. These include taxi companies, food outlets, hotels, and dog breeders.

How to check whether you need a business licence

The licences that you need will be specific to your business and we can’t run through them all here. It’s best to use’s licence finder to help you work out whether you need a business licence.

This tool lets you enter your business activities and then lists the licences that you might need. For example, if a hairdresser located in England wants to:

  • provide hairdressing services
  • use CCTV
  • play background music
  • offer ear, nose or body piercing

The tool suggests that this hairdresser will need:

  • ​​licences to play music in a theatre
  • licences to play background music
  • a notification to process personal data
  • a public space surveillance (CCTV) licence
  • to register as a state-registered hairdresser (voluntary)
  • a tattoo, piercing and electrolysis licence
  • a hairdresser registration

What about alcohol licensing?

You need an alcohol licence from your local licensing authority if you want to sell or supply alcohol.

You may need both a premises licence (which authorises the premises itself to sell alcohol) and a personal licence (one person on the premises must be a designated premises supervisor, who holds a personal licence).

There’s detailed guidance about alcohol licensing at too.

Who grants UK business licences?

Licences for small businesses in the UK are generally granted by individual local authorities. The licence finder will help you find the right authority for your business, based on your postcode. If you’re in any doubt, you should speak to your local authority directly.

There are, however, exceptions to this – we highlight some of these below.

Business licences for playing recorded music in public

You’ll need a licence if you want to play recorded music in public, for example, in a shop.

You’ll need to speak to PPL PRS, who are the licensing body for music in the UK. Read more about getting this type of licence at the PPL PRS website.

Business licences for childminding and nursery businesses

If you want to run a child care or childminding business, you’ll need to apply for a licence from a specific government body:

Business licences for financial activities

If you’re carrying out certain financial activities, such as lending money or recovering debts, you’ll need to be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

If you’re hoping to run a financial services business, you should get guidance directly from the FCA.

How much is a business licence?

The cost for a business licence will depend on the type of licence you're applying for. It may also be affected by other factors.

For example, premises licences for alcohol in England and Wales are subject to an application fee, but that fee is based on the rateable value of the business premises ( says that application fees range from £100 to £1,905 for premises licences, depending on the fee band of your venue).

Individual local authorities set the cost for licences they provide, so the cost can differ depending on where your business is based. Your local authority will publish a list of its licence costs on its website.

You can find your local council here.

What about health and safety rules?

Regardless of whether or not you need a business licence, you have to follow health and safety rules and procedures. Every business has health and safety responsibilities, but the specific requirements may vary depending on the nature of your work and where it takes place.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) also grants permissions and licences for specific business activities. If you’re carrying out one of these risky activities and you don’t have permission or a licence, you may be breaking the law.

You can find out more rules by reading our simple guide to health and safety for small businesses.

Is your business insured?

We have 800,000 UK policies plus a 9/10 satisfaction score. Why not take a look at our expert business insurance options - including public liability insurance and professional indemnity - and run a quick quote to get started?

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.