Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Café insurance

Join over 3,000 cafés like you with PL cover from £3.19 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Barista brewing a coffee

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,782 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need café insurance?

From bistros to tearooms, the hustle and bustle of cafés presents a unique set of challenges. Mistakes and accidents happen – so if you’re running a café business, you’ll want to protect yourself, your staff and your customers against any unplanned costs. Café insurance could give you the cover you need.

  • Peace of mind in the case of spillages leading to damage or injury
  • Protection against big disruptions, such as a fire or flood at your premises
  • Reassurance that your café’s equipment, stock and materials are covered

Start your quote

What does café insurance insurance cover?

You know your café better than anyone else – and we understand that every café owner has different concerns. If you employ people at your café, you must have employers' liability cover. And as with most brick-and-mortar businesses, you may also need public liability insurance. Beyond that, you can tailor your insurance to suit your business.

Café public and product liability insurance

In case you or your employees injure someone or damage their property.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage caused by you or your employee to a customer’s belongings in your café
  • accidental injury to a customer

For example:

  • a customer slips on some food on the floor and hurts themselves
  • a waiter accidentally spills coffee on a child and they get first-degree burns
  • a customer sues you after getting an allergic reaction to something they’ve eaten
  • you accidentally spill coffee on a customer’s laptop

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case an employee gets sick or injured while working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Legal and medical costs relating to claims against your business for:

  • employees who fall ill or are injured while carrying out their work for you

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • a waiter injures his leg after a fall in the kitchen, then sues you for damages
  • a trainee chef injures themselves after not receiving the right level of health and safety training

Building insurance

In case something happens to the premises where you run your café.

What’s typically covered by building insurance for cafés?

  • the cost of repairing damage to the structure of your building (or rebuilding it from scratch)
  • damage to fixtures and fittings in or on your premises
  • damage to underground pipes and cables you’re responsible for

For example:

  • there’s a fire or flood at your café
  • you discover that graffiti has been sprayed on the shop front

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • tenants' improvements – these are changes to the structure of the property that you've organised and paid for yourself, such as partition walls or wooden flooring

Read more about buildings insurance

Contents insurance

In case something happens to the business equipment or fixtures and fittings in your café.

What’s typically covered by contents insurance?

  • accidental damage to the business equipment or fixtures and fittings you use in the running of your café
  • theft of your business equipment
  • flood and fire damage to your business equipment

For example:

  • your front-of-house kit, such as a coffee brewer, cake display, oven or toaster, is stolen or damaged
  • your office laptop suffers from water damage due to a burst pipe

Read more about contents insurance

Stock insurance

In case something happens to the items you sell at your café.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • the cost of replacing your products and raw materials if they’re lost, stolen or damaged

For example:

  • a faulty fridge results in your prepared food (e.g. sandwiches, pastries) going off, and you have to throw it all away
  • your ingredients (e.g. flour, rice) are destroyed by water in a flood and you can’t use them any more

Read more about stock insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with legal costs from running your business.

  • legal expenses resulting from your day-to-day business activities, such as disputes with employees
  • the cost of legal claims relating to property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • HMRC investigations, and tax and compliance disputes
  • includes a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline, and crisis PR support to help you protect your business’s reputation

For example:

  • if you’re investigated by HMRC (or selected at random for an audit), this cover could help with the tax enquiries – for you and any other directors, as well as for the business
  • you need to defend your legal rights following the dismissal of an employee

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case anyone you’ve covered is accidentally injured, inside or outside of work.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death, whether at work or elsewhere, for anyone covered on the policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you trip over a chair that a customer has left out and break your arm
  • you burn your hand on the deep fat fryer at your café
  • a barista you’ve employed suffers a slipped disc on the walk home after work

Read more about personal accident insurance

Business interruption insurance

In case you’re unable to trade for a period of time.

What’s typically covered by business interruption insurance?

  • loss of income due to being out of action following a fire, flood, theft or accidental damage

For example:

  • a flood at your café leaves your business equipment and raw materials unusable, and you have to close up for a fortnight

Read more about business interruption insurance

How much does café insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.49 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example café insurance quotes, real prices

churchill insurance

£24.58 /month

£218.46 /year

Café/coffee shop serving food and drink

  • 3-4 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • 1 employee
  • Based in Nottingham
  • Public liability insurance


  • Employers’ liability insurance


  • Stock

    Not included

maltings insurance

£99.53 /month

£884.75 /year

Café/coffee shop serving food and drink using a fryer

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Nottingham
  • Public liability insurance


  • Employers’ liability insurance


  • Stock


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 22/02/2022). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public and product liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess







The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Is public liability enough for third party property damage?

In some situations you may need more than public liability to cover certain kinds of property damage. Learn about buildings and contents.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Does café insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It’s important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider cake business insurance or electrical contractors insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

Example claim

Having café insurance through Simply Business has saved café owners thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Dee saved more than £10,000

There has been a fire at the insured premises. A bin was set alight outside the back door and a number of stock items and contents have been damaged.

  • Insurance payout



  • Dee's costs


    The excess amount stated in Dee's policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,782 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Café insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about café insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • A deep fat fryer is a high-risk piece of kit, so there are lots of safety measures you have to follow when you use one. If you’re claiming for unexpected costs through your insurance and you’re discovered not to have met these conditions, it could invalidate your policy. This means you wouldn’t get a payout.

    To avoid this, you’ll need to check the requirements for the make and model of the fryer you’re planning to use at your café. If you don’t have access to the manual, you can call the manufacturer and ask them for the information.

    The top six criteria you may need to comply with are:

    1. cleaning schedule
    2. service record
    3. safety equipment
    4. volume of use
    5. replacement of oils
    6. contractors who are registered to work on fryers
  • Yes. It’s important to make sure you have the right type and level of insurance for the different types of work you do. For example, if you’re a plumber, you may also do building work on certain jobs – you’ll need additional cover for this, but you can have it all on the one policy. When you start your quote, you’ll have the option to add another trade or profession to your policy. If you need to add a third trade, give us a call on 0333 0146 683 and one of our insurance experts will help you set up your policy in minutes.

  • Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to give us a call on 0333 0146 683 to update your policy before you take on this new work. If you don’t have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

  • Each insurer looks at CCJs and IVAs differently – some apply stricter rules than others, but having a CCJ or IVA doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to buy insurance.

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 0146 683. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for café and coffee shop owners

Collage of coffee shop items

16 Mar 2018 • 3-minute read

How to start a coffee shop: a guide for small business owners

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Café insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.