Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Fast food insurance

Join over 1,100 fast food restaurants like yours with PL cover from £3.19 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Two cooks in a mobile catering van

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,717 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need fast food restaurant insurance?

From pizza to curry to kebabs, from storage to preparation to delivery. Running a fast food restaurant involves a lot of moving parts. Mistakes and accidents happen – and even a top hygiene rating can’t totally remove the risk of allergies and food poisoning. The good news? Insurance helps you prepare for the worst case scenario.

  • Peace of mind that you, your employees and your customers are covered against injury and illness
  • Freedom to focus on making food and not on what could go wrong
  • Protection against expensive damage to your business premises and fixtures and fittings

Start your quote

What does fast food restaurant insurance cover?

You know your fast food restaurant better than anyone else – and we understand that every restaurant owner has different concerns. If you employ people at your restaurant, you must have employee liability cover. And as with most brick-and-mortar businesses, you may also need public liability insurance. Beyond that, you can tailor your insurance to suit your business.

Public liability insurance for fast food restaurants

In case your fast food business causes injury or property damage.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage that you or your employee cause to someone else’s belongings in your fast food restaurant (remember, if you have staff working for you, you must have employers’ liability insurance – it’s a legal requirement)
  • injury that you or your employee cause to someone else while working, or as a result of your work
  • illness suffered by a customer as a result of consuming food or drink from your fast food restaurant
  • accidents and injuries related to food delivery (including theft, damage to customer property, slips and trips) but not incidents involving a vehicle

For example:

  • a customer slips on a ketchup spillage on your restaurant floor and breaks their wrist in the fall
  • a member of your staff accidentally spills a scalding hot tea on a customer who’s waiting to collect an order
  • a customer sues you because you served them spoiled food, or because they suffered an allergic reaction to your takeaway delivery

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case an employee gets sick or injured while working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • employees falling ill or getting injured as a result of being employed by your fast food business

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • your trainee chef cuts their hand open while trying to clean a blender in the kitchen, so they’re suing you for providing an unsafe work area
  • one of your delivery drivers is assaulted when delivering food, so they’re suing you for damages

Stock insurance

In case something happens to the products or materials you keep in stock at your fast food restaurant.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • the cost of replacing your prepared food items and raw ingredients if they’re lost, stolen or damaged

For example:

  • your fresh vegetables and meat go off due to your fridge developing a fault, so you have to throw them all away
  • a burst pipe in your kitchen causes a flood, and the water destroys the dry ingredients you keep in the storage room
  • a large food order gets ruined in transit because the boxes topple over in your van as you’re delivering them to the venue

Read more about stock insurance

Business and office equipment insurance

In case something happens to your fast food restaurant’s business and office equipment.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • accidental damage to the business equipment or fixtures and fittings you use in your fast food restaurant
  • loss or theft of your business equipment or fixtures and fittings
  • flood and fire damage to your business equipment or fixtures and fittings

For example:

  • a customer stumbles into your food display unit, smashing the glass
  • your pressure fryer, barbecue grill, dough mixer and toaster are stolen from your restaurant overnight
  • a new employee operates your kebab machine incorrectly and breaks the unit, so it needs to be repaired

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with legal costs from running your business.

  • legal costs you’re responsible for paying as the owner of your fast food business, such as resolving disputes with your employees
  • legal claims and compensation payouts to do with trespass, nuisance or property damage
  • investigations by HMRC, as well as tax and compliance disputes
  • remote support in the form of a tax advice helpline, a confidential 24/7 legal helpline, and crisis communications expertise if your restaurant’s reputation comes into question

For example:

  • your fast food restaurant is being investigated by HMRC, and you need help dealing with the enquiries into your tax affairs
  • an ex-employee is accusing you of harming their mental health due to the working practices at your restaurant, so you need to defend yourself in court

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case anyone you’ve covered is accidentally injured, at or outside of work.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death, outside work as well as at work, for anyone you’ve named on the policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you get first degree burns after accidentally splashing yourself with hot oil from your deep fat fryer
  • your employee falls off their bike and suffers multiple fractures while riding to work
  • you get concussion playing rugby with friends at the weekend

Read more about personal accident insurance

How much does fast food insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.19 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

10% of our customers paid up to £38.32 a year for a public liability insurance policy between 1st April 2023 - 30th June 2023. Equivalent to £3.19 per month based on a monthly cost when paying for the policy in one annual payment. Paying monthly is usually more expensive as you'll pay interest. Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

Example fast food restaurant insurance quotes, real prices

maltings insurance

£93.37 /month

£829.98 /year

A small fast food restaurant with a small fryer that's serviced annually and doesn't offer catering

  • 2-3 years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 1 employee
  • Based in Cambridge
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Contents/business equipment


  • Stock

    Not included

maltings insurance

£134.42 /month

£1,194.80 /year

A medium sized fast food restaurant with a fryer that's serviced annually and who offer catering

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 5 employees
  • Based in Swindon
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Contents/business equipment


  • Stock


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 30/03/2022). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess







The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Is public liability enough for third party property damage?

In some situations you may need more than public liability to cover certain kinds of property damage. Learn about stock cover

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Does fast food insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider caterer - excluding mobile vans) or cleaning insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£39 million in claims paid out in 2022

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2022

Example claim

Having fast food insurance through Simply Business has saved fast food restaurants thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Marcello saved more than £5,800

A delivery driver had dropped off a takeaway order from Marcello’s fast food restaurant (name changed for privacy). The food had leaked out of the delivery bag, and Marcello's customer slipped and fell in the spilled food. The customer then sued the restaurant for damages. Fortunately Marcello had taken out insurance in case something like this ever happened to him.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of the accident

  • Marcello's costs


    The excess amount stated in Marcello's policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,717 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Fast food insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about fast food insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • It can do – but you’ll need to make sure you take out public and product liability insurance as part of your policy.

    Public and product liability insurance protects you against claims relating to accidental injury or illness caused by your business. The “product” part refers to the items a business sells, which for you means food and drink.

    And it’s important to know that if you employ people at your fast food restaurant (including family members), you’ll only be covered for their actions if you have employers’ liability insurance too.

  • There are several key types of cover for most restaurants.

    Because your area of work involves coming into contact with other people, you’ll likely consider public and product liability insurance to be essential. It covers your restaurant against accidental damage or injury.

    And you probably have people working for you, which means you’re legally required to have employers’ liability cover – even for casual workers and temporary staff.

    Are you personally responsible for insuring your restaurant’s premises? You’ll want to look into building insurance.

    Beyond that, there are a few more options that could give you peace of mind:

    Want to protect your restaurant’s equipment and fixtures and fittings? It’s worth thinking about contents cover.

    Interested in protecting yourself and others against the financial consequences of accidents, whether at work or outside of work? That’s what personal accident insurance is for.

    Worried about legal costs you might face as the owner of your restaurant business? You can take out legal protection insurance.

    Still feeling uncertain about what insurance you need for your restaurant? You might find it helpful to read our guide on assessing the risks.

  • No, this should be covered separately under a motor insurance policy.

    If you have employers’ liability cover as part of your fast food insurance policy, you would be covered if your delivery drivers get injured while they’re delivering an order but not currently on the road (for example, falling down the stairs in a customer’s block of flats).

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly instalments.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers' liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers' liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you're required by law to have employers' liability insurance.

    There's one exception here. Family businesses that aren't incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers' liability insurance. The government defines a "family business" as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers' liability insurance, it's important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn't cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for fast food restaurants

Chef adding the finishing sauce to a dish about to be served

25 Jul 2019 • 7-minute read

How to open a restaurant: a simple guide

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Fast food insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2023 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.