Telephone iconCall UsTelephone icon0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Chevron left icon
Knowledge centre

10 ways to claim tax relief for small businesses

6-minute read

Lauren Hellicar

9 September 2020

Facebook iconTwitter iconLinkedIn icon

It's a challenging time to run your own business, and it's always worth exploring ways to ease the financial burden. While there are plenty of bills to pay when you run a small business, there may be a number of ways you can recoup some of the tax you pay.

From business rates relief to VAT relief, we've pulled together 10 tax reliefs small businesses can claim to help you work out if you can reduce your tax bill.

1. Employment Allowance (National Insurance relief)

If you're an employer, you may be entitled to National Insurance relief of up to £4,000 (the total allowable relief for each business, not for each employee).

Claiming Employment Allowance lets you pay less employers’ Class 1 National Insurance every time you run your payroll until you reach the £4,000 threshold or the end of the tax year, whichever is sooner.

Which businesses are eligible?

  • those with employees
  • those that pay Class 1 employers' National Insurance
  • those with employers’ Class 1 National Insurance liabilities of less than £100,000 in the previous tax year

Charities are also eligible.

Which businesses aren't eligible?

  • limited companies with only one company director and no other employees
  • self-employed contractors and freelancers who only pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance, and not Class 1

How do I claim?

There are two ways:

  • use your own payroll software – enter 'yes' in the 'Employment Allowance indicator' box next time you send an Employment Payment Summary (EPS) to HMRC

You'll need to claim every tax year. You can read all the details on the government website.

2. Annual Investment Allowance

If your business uses plant and machinery to carry out its work, it may count as a tax deductible expense.

Am I eligible?

Items eligible for the Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) include:

  • things you keep to use in your business, including cars
  • costs of demolishing plant and machinery
  • parts of a building considered integral, known as ‘integral features’
  • some fixtures – for example, fitted kitchens or bathroom suites
  • alterations to a building to install other plant and machinery (not including repairs)

Read more about capital allowances and the Annual Investment Allowance.

How do I claim?

You claim for AIA on your Self-Assessment tax return, your partnership tax return, or your Company Tax Return.

3. Small business rate relief

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, the government announced that retail, leisure, hospitality and nursery businesses didn't need to pay business rates for 2020-21. They've also said they'll review business rates as a whole.

Am I eligible?

The small business rate relief is available to businesses with properties with a rateable value of less than £15,000.

How do I claim?

Your business property's rateable value is taken from its open market rental value on 1 April 2015, which is based on an estimate by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). So you don't need to do anything to claim this tax relief.

Under normal circumstances, your local council sends you a business rates bill for the following tax year. You'll usually receive this bill in February or March.

Read more about business rates and small business rate relief.

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest guides for small businesses and the self-employed

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business Privacy policy.

4. Research and development tax relief

Claiming research and development (R&D) tax relief could be an option if you work on innovative science and technology projects.

The project doesn't actually need to be successful to qualify you for the relief – it just needs to aim to research or develop and advance in your field.

SME R&D relief lets you:

  • deduct an extra 130 per cent of your qualifying costs from your annual profit, as well as the normal 100 per cent deduction, to make a total 230 per cent deduction
  • claim a tax credit if your company is making a loss, worth up to 14.5 per cent of the surrenderable loss

Am I eligible?

You can claim small and medium sized enterprises (SME) R&D relief if you have:

  • fewer than 500 staff
  • a turnover of under 100 million euros or a balance sheet total under 86 million euros

You may need to include linked companies and partnerships when you work out whether or not you’re a small or medium sized enterprise.

How do I claim?

You claim it on your Corporation Tax, so you'll also need to have a limited company to be eligible.

5. Creative industries tax relief

Creative industry tax relief is made up of the following eight Corporation Tax reliefs:

  • Film Tax Relief
  • Animation Tax Relief
  • High-end Television Tax Relief
  • Video Games Tax Relief
  • Children’s Television Tax Relief
  • Theatre Tax Relief
  • Orchestra Tax Relief
  • Museums and Galleries Exhibition Tax Relief

Am I eligible?

The government website says: "Your company must have responsibility throughout development, from the start of pre-production until the completion of the film, programme or game.

"For theatrical productions, orchestral concerts or exhibitions, the company must be responsible for producing, running and closing the production."

You'll also need to pass the British Film Institute's (BFI) cultural test, which requires all films, animation and television programmes or video games to be certified as British.

How do I claim?

You can claim it as a tax deductible expense on your Company Tax Return.

6. Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme

The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme gives investors tax reliefs when they buy new shares in your company.

Am I eligible?

You need to have a limited company to qualify for this type of tax relief. You can read more about the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme and whether your business qualifies in our article.

How do I claim?

Follow these steps to claim for the SEIS:

  • complete a compliance statement (SEIS1).
  • send the form with all the relevant accompanying documentation to HMRC.
  • if your application is successful, you’ll receive compliance certificates from HMRC.
  • issue the compliance certificates to your investors.
  • your investors can then claim tax relief on their investments in your company.

7. Enterprise Investment Schemes

In some ways, the Enterprise Investment Scheme is similar to SEIS. The part to watch out for is the risk clause, which we've simplified in our simple guide to EIS funding. In it you'll also find more about the eligibility rules.

Am I eligible?

Find out more about the eligibility criteria for EIS in our article.

How do I claim?

You can apply by filling out the compliance statement EIS1 form available on the government website. You then need to send it to HMRC.

8. Marginal Relief

If you run your own limited company, you may be able to apply for Marginal Relief to reduce your Corporation Tax bill. It gives you a gradual increase in your tax rate between the small profits rate and the main rate.

Am I eligible?

To qualify for this relief on your Corporation Tax, your company’s profits before 1 April 2015 need to have been between £300,000 and £1.5 million.

How do I claim?

You can apply for this relief in your Company Tax Return, and you have up to 12 months from filing a return to amend it to claim for Marginal Relief.

9. Business Asset Disposal Relief (formerly Entrepreneurs' Relief)

You may be able to reduce your Capital Gains tax bill when you sell your business by claiming Business Asset Disposal Relief (BADR).

Am I eligible?

The government website details all the qualifying criteria for claiming BADR.

How do I claim?

You can either claim on your Self Assessment tax return or by filling in the government's Business Asset Disposal Relief help sheet.

10. The Patent Box

If you run your own company, the Patent Box may mean you can apply a lower rate of Corporation Tax to your profits on any patented inventions you have.

Am I eligible?

Your company will need to:

  • be liable to Corporation Tax
  • make a profit from exploiting patented inventions
  • own or have exclusively licenced-in the patents
  • have undertaken qualifying development on the patents

Read more about these criteria and the full list of rules on the government website.

How do I claim?

You can find out more about how Patent Box calculations work by reading the example on the government website.

Self-employed tax deductible expenses

Whatever your business legal structure – sole trader, limited company, or partnership – it's important to make sure you're claiming everything you're entitled to on your Self Assessment tax return.

For more on the expenses you can subtract from your business turnover to work out your taxable profit, read our guide to self-employed tax deductible expenses.

Ready to set up your cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, we specialise in public liability insurance and protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Facebook icon
LinkedIn icon

People also liked

3 April 20172-minute read

Simply Business data has revealed the potential impact of the business rates rise to UK small businesses - with Milton Keynes and Reading…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2021 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.