Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge centre

A guide to filing your company tax return and paying corporation tax

4-minute read

Sam Bromley

17 November 2021

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Before you can pay corporation tax, you usually need to work on your company tax return – here’s what small businesses should know.

While the deadlines for paying your corporation tax and filing a company tax return are different, in practice they’re often done at the same time.

This is because you usually need to complete a company tax return (also known as form CT600) to know whether there’s a corporation tax bill to pay.

While it’s possible to complete the return yourself, lots of companies choose to enlist the services of an accountant to help them out.

Get your free guide to filing a company tax return

Download your free in-depth guide on filing your company tax return. Get instant access to expert hints and tips in the click of a few buttons.

Your email address will be used by Simply Business to keep you posted with the latest news, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Simply Business Privacy policy.

Here’s what small business owners should know about filing a company tax return and paying corporation tax – but use this as a guide only, and make sure you seek professional advice if you’re unsure of anything.

What is a company tax return?

A company tax return is used to report your spending, profits, and corporation tax due to HMRC. It involves completing a CT600 form and submitting a financial report with calculations that show how much you owe in tax.

Our guide to corporation tax has more on when to pay and how to register.

When to file your company tax return

You need to file one of these if your company gets a ‘notice to deliver a company tax return’ from HMRC.

Keep in mind that even if your company has made a loss, or if you have no corporation tax to pay, you still need to file.

The deadline for filing is 12 months after the end of the accounting period the return covers. Your accounting period is normally the same as the financial year covered by your company’s annual accounts – but it might be different in some circumstances, for example your first year of trading. In that situation, you'd need to send two tax returns to cover your first year.

If you’re not sure when the end of your accounting period was, you can sign in to your HMRC business tax account to check.

Limited company tax return example

For example, if you start your business on 15 January 2020, Companies House will set your financial year to end on 31 January 2021.

This means you’ll need to file two tax returns in your first year. One to cover the first 17 days and one to cover the following 12 months.

After your first year of trading, your accounting period will run from 1 February to 31 January.

A company tax return should show:

  • your company’s profit or loss for corporation tax (which isn’t the same as profit or loss shown in your annual accounts)
  • your corporation tax bill

You can file your accounts with Companies House and your company tax return with HMRC at the same time if your limited company doesn’t need an auditor. You can file these online (you can’t use the paper CT600 form unless you have a reasonable excuse or you want to file in Welsh).

Most small companies won’t need an audit – HMRC say they generally only need one if it says they do in their articles of association, or their shareholders ask for one.

What is a CT600?

The company tax return is also called form CT600. It'll include standard company information, but you also need to do some complex calculations. Depending on your company these include calculations like:

  • income (including profits, trading losses brought forward, property income)
  • chargeable gains
  • profits before other deductions and reliefs
  • deductions and reliefs
  • tax reliefs and reductions
  • tax reconciliation
  • losses

The accounts and computations part of the company tax return must be in the Inline eXtensible Business Reporting Language (iXBRL) format.

Because filing the return is complex, HMRC publish this CT600 Guide for 2021 to help small business owners.

You should check that out for more information, and again, keep in mind that many limited companies get professional help from tax advisers and accountants when preparing their return.

What are the penalties if you file a late company tax return?

As you might expect, there are fines for filing late.

How late is your return?Penalty
One day late£100
Three months lateA further £100
Six months lateHMRC will estimate your corporation tax bill and add 10 per cent of the bill as a penalty
12 months lateAnother 10 per cent of the tax liability

How to pay your HMRC corporation tax bill

The deadline for paying your corporation tax bill (for companies with taxable profits of up to £1.5 million) is nine months and one day after the end of your accounting period.

You can pay by:

  • online or telephone banking and CHAPS (same day or next day)
  • Bacs, Direct Debit (if you’ve already set one up), online with a debit or corporate credit card, at your bank or building society (three working days)
  • Direct Debit, if you’ve not set one up before (five working days)

You can pay corporation tax at

What are the penalties for paying your corporation tax late?

If you don’t pay on time, HMRC say that they'll charge you interest on a daily basis. This starts from the day after you should’ve paid and continues until you eventually pay it.

HMRC say that late payment interest is actually tax deductible for corporation tax purposes, which “means you can include this expense in your company accounts for the accounting period (or periods) when the interest was incurred.”

Is there anything else you’d like to know about filing your company tax return? Let us know in the comments below.

Photograph 1: Inc Drop/

Ready to set up your cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, we specialise in public liability insurance and protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

People also liked

19 November 20202-minute read

Landlords could be targeted in new capital gains tax raid

Landlords could be hit by another massive tax raid, as the Office of Tax Simplification outlines its recommendations for an overhaul of…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.