Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Art gallery insurance

Join over 800,000 customers who’ve chosen to insure with us. Compare tailored insurance from trusted brands.

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
People looking around an art gallery

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,785 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why is insurance important for art galleries?

From world-famous sites to cutting-edge equipment, art galleries are special places. With the greatest care and attention, things still go wrong, especially where visitors are involved. Specific, tailored insurance lets everyone get on with appreciating the art, not the what-ifs.

  • protection from big claims if something is damaged
  • support for your gallery if an unexpected event happens
  • cover for the specifics from accidental damage to employee injuries

Start your quote

No one knows your gallery better than you. That’s why we give you control over what goes into your policy. It could be accidents on the exhibition floor, legal disputes with a dealer or company laptop theft – you choose the cover that's right for you.

Public liability insurance

In case you or your gallery staff injure someone or damage their property.

Claims against your business for:

  • damage caused by your gallery to someone else’s property (excluding any third party-owned art)
  • injury caused to someone else while in your gallery – or because of work at your gallery
  • accidental damage or injury caused by your gallery employees (excluding any third party-owned art. Remember that if you employ anyone, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance in place.)

For example:

  • someone comes into your gallery and slips on a wet floor because you forgot to put a sign up after cleaning
  • someone accidentally knocks a sculpture over and it injures a member of the public

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • hosting events or exhibitions – you’d need a specific events insurance policy to be covered for these
  • any third party-owned art would need to be covered separately

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case something happens to a gallery employee while they’re working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • a gallery employee, including a temp or casual worker, suing you after falling ill because of being employed by you
  • an employee suffering an injury and suing you, as a result of working for your gallery

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • an employee falls off a stepladder and is injured, while hanging a piece of art in your gallery
  • one of your gallery assistants trips on a raised floorboard, injuring their knee

Business and office equipment insurance

In case something happens to your gallery equipment or office supplies.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • accidental loss, damage or theft of the equipment you use to run your gallery, like your laptop

For example:

  • someone breaks into your gallery and steals your company laptops
  • there’s a fire in your building, damaging all the display units and other equipment in your gallery

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • the artwork in your gallery’s care – you’ll need specialist cover for this, such as artwork insurance or fine art insurance

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with legal costs while running your gallery.

  • legal expenses resulting from your day-to-day business activities, like a dispute with a gallery employee
  • the cost of legal claims relating to property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • HMRC investigations, and tax or compliance disputes
  • your cover includes a tax advice helpline and crisis PR support, helping you protect your gallery’s reputation

For example:

  • if you’re investigated, or selected at random by HMRC, this cover could help with tax enquiries on the gallery, and on you personally
  • defending your legal rights if you dismiss an employee from your gallery

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you’ve covered has an accident, at your gallery or somewhere else.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death at work – or outside it – for anyone covered by your gallery’s policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you trip and fall over a customer’s bag, breaking your ankle
  • a gallery employee shuts their hand in the car door on their way to work

Read more about personal accident insurance

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £4.42 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

How we work out example prices We take the highest price from the bottom 10 per cent of all our customers paying in monthly instalments (Based on data from 1 Sep 2021 - 31st Feb 2022). Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

chiswell insurance

£8.81 /month

£68.08 /year

Small art gallery that deal in the purchasing and sale of artwork

  • 1-2 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Solihull
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability

    Not included

  • Contents/business equipment

    Not included

maltings insurance

£34.27 /month

£304.61 /year

Small art gallery registered as ltd company with 2 members of staff

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Salford
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Contents/business equipment


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 13/10/2020). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess

Business and office equipment



The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Does art gallery insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider artists studio or artist insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£51million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

Chosen by 800,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 800,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,785 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about art gallery insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for art galleries

Photographer taking a photo of a product to sell online

16 Jun 2021 • 10-minute read

How to set up an online shop

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Art gallery insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.