Telephone iconCall UsTelephone icon0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Chevron left icon
Knowledge centre

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards: what landlords need to know

3-minute read

Anna Delves

28 March 2018

Facebook iconTwitter iconLinkedIn icon

As of 1 April 2018, residential and commercial rental properties need to conform to the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards.

The regulations impact both residential and commercial landlords, so we’ve put together a guide to help you make sure you’re compliant. Here’s what you need to know.

What are the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards?

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards were introduced in 2015 as part of the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015.

From 1 April 2018, landlords must not renew existing tenancies or start any new ones for properties that don’t have at least an E on their Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if a) the building falls within the scope of the MEES and b) an exemption hasn’t been registered.

From 1 April 2020, landlords must not continue to let residential properties that don’t meet an E on their EPC. For commercial properties, it's 1 April 2023.

What buildings and tenancies do the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards apply to?

The MEES apply to the vast majority of properties, but there are certain buildings and tenancies that are exempt. These are:

  • Buildings which are not required to have an EPC, such as industrial sites, workshops, non-residential agricultural buildings with a low energy demand, certain listed buildings, temporary properties and holidays lets
  • Buildings where the EPC is over 10 years old or where there is no EPC (though keep in mind that you will have to get a new EPC when you start a new tenancy, and will at that point have to comply with the MEES)
  • Tenancies of less than six months (with no right of renewal)
  • Tenancies of over 99 years

Are there any exemptions?

Assuming your property doesn’t fall under the above exclusions, there are ways it may be exempt from the MEES. They are:

  • If you have carried out all cost-effective energy efficiency improvements, either within a seven-year payback or under the Green Deal’s “Golden Rule”, and it still doesn’t meet the standards
  • If a third party has refused to let you make the improvement work, such as a local authority or the sitting tenant.
  • If the improvements would damage the property or devalue it by five per cent or more

Exemptions last for five years and you need to email [email protected] in order to lodge them.

What are the penalties for non-compliance?

There are a number of financial penalties that could be leveled against you for not complying with the MEES, depending on whether your property is residential or commercial, and how long you’ve been in breach for.

Penalties for residential properties

For residential properties, if you have been letting out a non-compliant property for less than three months, the penalty is up to £2,000, and if it’s been more than three months then the penalty goes up to a maximum of £4,000.

There are two other maximum penalties of £2,000 – one for providing false or misleading information to the PRS exemption register, and one for failing to comply with a compliance notice.

It’s important to note that these penalties are per property and per breach, so if you have a portfolio of properties, the fines could end up significantly higher.

Penalties for commercial properties

The fines for non-compliant commercial properties are significantly higher than for residential properties. If you’ve been letting out a non-compliant commercial property for less than three months, the penalty is up to either £5,000, or 10 per cent of the rateable value of the property, whichever is higher, and with a maximum penalty of £50,000.

If you’ve been letting out a non-compliant property for more than three months, the penalty is up to £10,000 or 20 per cent of the rateable value of the property, whichever is higher, and with maximum penalty of £150,000.

As with residential properties, there is a penalty for providing false or misleading information to the PRS exemption register, or failing to comply with a compliance notice, and for commercial properties it's up to £5000.

How do I ensure my property is compliant?

An important first step is knowing your property’s EPC rating. Once you know if it falls below band E, you can start working out how to bring it up to standard. You can find out your EPC rating by having an energy assessment carried out, which will make recommendations on how to improve the property.

Check out for information on how to get an energy assessment.

It’s important to note that if your property’s current energy assessment was carried out more than 10 years ago, it may not be accurate, as the criteria for the bands has since changed.

Once you have your assessment, you’ll know your property’s EPC rating, and there will be recommendations for how to improve it. If your property falls into a band E or higher, you’re not obliged to follow through with the recommendations, though improving the energy efficiency of your property can make it more appealing to tenants, and may save you money down the line.

Get set with tailored landlord cover

Over 200,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy? Run a quick landlord insurance quote today.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
LinkedIn icon

People also liked

15 October 20202-minute read

Landlords face new energy rating requirements

Homes that you rent out will be required to have higher energy ratings under new government proposals. 9 golden rules for landlords to help…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2021 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.