Telephone iconCall UsTelephone icon0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Chevron left icon
Knowledge centre

This viral tweet perfectly sums up how the self-employed feel about the tax return process

2-minute read

Anna Delves

31 January 2018

Facebook iconTwitter iconLinkedIn icon

Ah, tax return season. The time of year when small business owners and the self-employed end up tearing their hair out trying to give HMRC all the information they need.

For many, though, the issue isn’t actually filling in their Self Assessment tax return, but logging on to the government portal in the first place.

Is there such a thing as too secure?

While many online accounts have more security measures in place than just a username and password, the process of signing into to file your tax return can feel like an uphill battle.

Twitter user @JBwol has articulated these frustrations in a way that resonates with many who are in the throes of filing their tax return or have recently submitted it:

In order to sign in to file your tax return, you have to provide a variety of information, which can include your user ID and password, your Unique Taxpayer Reference(UTR), your National Insurance number, the code from a text message that HMRC sends you, and another form of identification, most commonly a passport number.

A number of small business owners and self-employed people have ended up increasingly irritated as, after filling all the information in, they were greeted with the following message:

online self assessment requires a variety of information

And this is all before you even get to the actual tax return part of the process.

No UTR? No last minute tax return

One of the biggest pain points for anyone filing their tax return is getting hold of their UTR. If you don’t have it to hand, you’ll need to contact HMRC so that they can post it to you, and it can take a minimum of 10 days to arrive.

For anyone who has yet to file their tax return - and there are less than 24 hours to go until the deadline - it’s too late to get hold of this information before the deadline.

If you are struggling to find your UTR, try one of these places:

  • on the SA250 form you received when you registered as self-employed
  • on a previous Self Assessment tax return
  • on your first communication from HMRC if you incorporated a limited company
  • on a notice to file
  • on a payment reminder from HMRC.

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
LinkedIn icon

People also liked

21 November 20195-minute read

The self-employed guide to Self Assessment tax returns

The self-employed usually need to file a Self Assessment tax return each year. This is true whether you’re a sole trader, are in a business…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2020 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.