Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Hotel insurance

Join over 900,000 UK customers with public liability cover from £3.49 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare tailored insurance for hotels from trusted brands

Two guests checking in to a hotel

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,782 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Insurance for hotels – why is it important?

Whether it’s a dispute with a supplier, staff being taken ill, or property damage, problems at your hotel can be expensive to fix. With the right cover you can get back to property up and running as normal. You can start with landlord insurance and build from there.

Simply Business can cover small hotels with up to 20 guest rooms.

  • hotel insurance online, from quote to claim
  • peace of mind, letting you focus on your property, not the what-ifs
  • UK-based claims team, award-winning and available 24/7

Start your quote

What does hotel insurance cover?

Most hotels usually start with buildings insurance when creating a policy. It protects your property against rebuild or repair costs, for example if it’s vandalised or there’s a fire. Beyond that, you can tailor your policy to include other rental-related covers.

Landlords contents insurance

In case disaster hits and your contents get damaged.

What's typically covered by contents insurance for hotels?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage to your contents caused by incidents such as fire, flood, or theft
  • contents including household goods, furniture, and decorative items

For example :

  • your tenant deliberately damages your kitchen
  • flooding causes severe damage to the furniture you've just bought for the living room

Read more about landlord contents insurance

Landlords buildings insurance

In case disaster hits and your property gets damaged.

What’s typically covered by buildings insurance for hotels?

Claims against your business for:

  • a partial or complete rebuild of your property, up to £1 million
  • damage caused by a storm, flood, or fire, plus intentional damage caused by thieves or vandals

For example :

  • one of your tenants is moving belongings into the loft, but damages the ceiling below by putting too much weight on the non-boarded floor
  • thieves break into your property and cause extensive damage to the back door and its frame
  • severe subsidence means one of the main walls in your property needs restructuring

Read more about buildings insurance for landlords

Landlord home emergency cover

In case the boiler fails, or there’s a plumbing or electrical emergency.

What's typically covered by landlord home emergency cover?

Claims against your property for:

  • removal of vermin, such as rats or a wasp nest that’s preventing the use of a loft, or one or more rooms in your property
  • room-only costs for one night’s accommodation, if the property remains uninhabitable after an insured event
  • loss or theft of any external door keys

For example :

  • your tenant finds a rat in the loft of your property, and there are signs that it’s been getting into one of the bedrooms
  • a leak in the bathroom causes severe water damage to the downstairs rooms in your property – your tenants need to stay in a hotel for a night while it’s made fit to live in
  • your tenant leaves their keys on a bus and you haven’t got another set, so you need to call a locksmith to access to the property

Read more about landlord home emergency cover

Landlord accidental damage insurance

In case your tenant or their guests accidentally damage your property.

What's typically covered by landlord insurance with accidental damage?

Claims against your business for:

  • the cost of replacing contents in your property if your tenants cause any unexpected damage
  • someone visiting one of your tenants causes unexpected damage to your property or contents
  • the cost of repairing your property or contents if they’re accidentally damaged

For example :

  • during a party, someone spills red wine on the sofa you’ve bought for the property
  • your tenant drops something on the kitchen floor causing damaging one of the tiles, and it needs to be replaced
  • your tenant’s child throws a toy, breaking a light fitting and damaging the TV you’ve installed

Read more about landlord insurance with accidental damage

Property owners' liability insurance

In case you’re legally responsible for injuries or property damage, as owner of the building.

What's typically covered by property owners’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • bodily injuries caused by your property, including fixtures, fittings, and contents
  • third-party property damage, caused by your property

For example :

  • your tenant slips on a loose piece of carpet, causing long-term back pain
  • your ceiling lamp falls on your tenant's laptop, breaking it in the process
  • a delivery person trips on a loose pavement slab at your property and breaks their ankle

Read more about property owners liability insurance

Tenant default insurance

In case your tenants don’t keep up their rental payments.

What's typically covered by tenant default insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • if you have to evict your tenants because they don't pay rent, you will be protected up to £50,000 across a twelve-month period of time

For example :

  • you’ve set up a payment plan with your tenant, but don’t receive any rent for two months and decide to serve an eviction notice
  • your tenants are late on their rent, have only paid part of last month’s agreed amount, and aren’t returning your calls – you serve an eviction notice
  • a tenant runs their own business and has had a poor financial year, so you set up a payment plan – but after five missed payments you serve an eviction notice to claim the rent you’re owed

Read more about tenant default insurance

Rental income protection insurance

In case damage to the property stops your tenants trading, and paying rent.

What's typically covered by rental income protection insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • loss of rent if your property is uninhabitable due to an ‘insured event’ such as a fire, flood, or storm
  • damage to your property means you can’t rent it out to new tenants

For example :

  • severe fire damage to your property means your tenants have to move out and you need to recover the lost rental income
  • a storm makes your property uninhabitable, so you lose out on rent while repairs are completed
  • the downstairs of your property is flooded, so you have to delay new tenants moving in you and lose income as a result

Employers’ liability insurance

In case anyone gets ill or injured while working for your hotel.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an injury to someone you employ, including contractors and temps, that happens as a result of working for you
  • a member of staff (including casual workers) falling ill due to your business

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • one of your employees falls down some stairs in your business premises, and makes a claim against you for chronic shoulder pain
  • a temporary employee traps their hand in a door at your premises, causing several fractures
  • a member of staff trips on a ledge on their way to a meeting, injuring their hip

Landlord legal insurance

In case you’re hit with legal expenses as a landlord.

Claims against your business for:

  • legal costs relating to your property or tenancy dispute
  • trying to legally take possession of your property, let under an assured shorthold tenancy, short assured tenancy, or assured tenancy agreement
  • negotiation of your legal rights following physical and substantial damage to your property (beyond acceptable wear and tear)

For example:

  • it’s not possible to move back into your property after the tenants leave it with severe damage, and you need to pay for unexpected storage costs while the work is completed
  • your tenants aren’t keeping up with their rental payments and are avoiding your calls, so you need to serve an eviction notice
  • during a routine inspection you find that your tenants have damaged the fence at the boundary of the property, and it needs to be repaired

Read more about landlord legal insurance

How much does hotel insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.49 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Main Building



Fixtures & fittings



Landlord contents



Accidental damage



Landlord liability

No excess


The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do insurance claims work for hotels?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims team any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. "Settled" covers paid, declined or withdrawn. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis. Our specialist partner Sedgwick will pay the claims on behalf of the insurer. Reviewed on 24/04/2024.

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of 5 back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,782 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Hotel insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about insurance for off licences. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • You aren’t legally required to take out a specific landlord policy, but remember – a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities, and a mortgage lender will usually demand you have specific landlord cover in place, before you let your property.

    Popular covers include property owners’ liability and contents insurance, for accidents on your property, plus buildings cover to protect the property itself.

  • As we’ve outlined above, there’s currently no legal obligation to take out a dedicated landlord insurance policy. However, a home insurance policy won’t cover you for the specific risks you and your tenants face, and a mortgage lender will usually require you to have buy-to-let insurance in place too, before renting out your property.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

  • If you’ve provided furniture and other contents for your tenants – maybe even a TV or art for the walls – your property is known as ‘furnished’, and protection is key for most landlords. You can buy contents insurance as part of your landlord insurance policy, just add it when completing your landlord insurance quote.

  • We provide cover for a range of property types, including:

    • terraced and end terrace houses
    • semi-detached houses
    • detached houses
    • bungalows
    • maisonettes
    • individual flats in purpose-built blocks or buildings
    • individual flats in converted buildings or houses
    • entire purpose-built buildings with multiple flats
    • entire converted buildings or houses with multiple flats
  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for hotel owners

Man using mobile phone and drinking coffee in front of laptop

2 December 2022 • 7-minute read

How to do a landlord tax return: a 6-step guide

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Hotel insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.