Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Do I need public liability insurance?

Start your quote

If your business comes into contact with members of the public, it’s likely you’ll decide you need public liability insurance. It can cover your business if it’s sued for injury or damage, so it’s popular with tradesmen, hairdressers, shopkeepers and many other business types.

At Simply Business we insure all kinds of trades like:

Is your profession not listed? When you run a quote you can select your trade from over 1,000 options.

Public liability insurance isn’t compulsory by law, but many businesses decide that they need it to protect themselves from crippling compensation costs, and also to satisfy the requirements of potential clients.

As it can protect you if you’re sued by a member of the public, this insurance is particularly important if you interact with customers, suppliers or passersby in the course of your work.

You may decide you need public liability insurance because you come into contact with third parties in one or more of these ways:

  • Customers visit your premises, for example you have a hairdressing or beauty salon, a shop or a restaurant
  • You work on client sites, for example you’re a tradesman carrying out work in people’s homes
  • You work in public, for example you’re a builder, and your work could potentially cause injury or damage to someone passing by

Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide whether your business needs public liability insurance, although it’s worth thinking about whether you could afford to meet the cost of a compensation claim if your business was sued and you didn’t have cover.

It’s also worth checking whether clients or potential clients expect you to hold a policy. Local government contracts in particular will usually say you need a particular level of public liability insurance.

Do I need public liability insurance for a private party?

Public liability insurance can come in handy no matter the venue. If you own or are in charge of the venue - if it’s your business premises, for example - then public liability insurance can help pay for legal fees, medical bills and compensation claims if someone suffers an injury during the party. On the other hand, if your party is at an external venue then public liability can help cover the costs if you or one of your guests damages the venue or injures a member of staff by accident.

Do I need public liability insurance for my home?

If you invite clients to your home - to collect orders or for consultations and meetings, for example - then it’s worth considering public liability cover. If someone has an accident while visiting your home, then public liability insurance can help pay for any associated costs.

Do I need public liability insurance for my wedding?

Organising a wedding can be stressful enough without worrying about what will happen if you or one of your guests accidentally damages the venue or causes a member of staff to suffer an injury. Public liability insurance can help cover the costs of such incidents, paying out for the likes of repairs, medical bills and legal fees.

Ready to set up your public liability cover?

As the UK's biggest business insurance provider, public liability cover is what we do best.

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Do I need public liability insurance?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2023 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.