Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
People Business Partner
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 425,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
Having a good knowledge of the business, our culture, our values and the business priorities, you will develop and implement people initiatives and plans which complement our overall objectives.
You will partner with line managers, colleagues within the people team and other functions, in particular our finance and change teams. You will use these partnering relationships and your skills, knowledge and experience to create a feedback loop, supporting continuous improvement across all areas of the business.
The People Business Partner will be a key contributor to the overall plans for the people team.
As a People Business Partner you will:
- Partner with managers on areas such as organisational design, development, talent management and change. Bringing in colleagues from specialised People team functions as required
- Ensure activities are developed and delivered in line with our culture and values. Work in liaison with the People tracks to support engagement initiatives
- Continuously review all interactions stemming from the people team with a view to introducing, reviewing and improving processes and policies
- Work with line managers to develop and maintain robust succession plans
- Identify generic and individual development needs to support the talent management and development agendas
- Work closely with the People Team Advisor to provide support, guidance and be an independent advisor when dealing with difficult people management situations and employee relations matters
- Act as a point of escalation for employee relations matters when necessary
- Work closely with the Head of Reward and the finance business partners in dealing with remuneration queries.
- Maintain fairness, internal equity and budget control
- Coach and mentor line managers to ensure best practice and consistency of people management in line with our culture and values
- Champion a data driven approach to people management, use Build-Measure-Learn and other agile methodologies to support change and improvement to the key people metrics
- Contribute to the overall strategic People Plan for the business and support the development of appropriate plans for all teams. Use internal knowledge and insight and external perspective to input effectively into these plans
- Develop and support activities within teams to support the overall engagement plan
- Working closely with line managers, providing advice whilst building trust and confidence for them to deal with all aspects of people management.
- Negotiating effectively and influencing managers when dealing with difficult situations.
- Providing honest and constructive feedback to managers to enable them to develop their skills.
- Making recommendations on best practice, process, policy and the overall people plan
What we are looking for:
- Experience in a similar HR or People management role
- Understanding of best practice with regard to people management
- Desire to work in a forward thinking, change oriented environment
- Experience of working alongside managers to a relatively senior level
- Evidence of having positively influenced behaviours and outcomes
- Experience of developing and embedding a supportive and positive working culture
- Assertiveness and proactivity in driving continuous improvement and change
- CIPD level 5 (or equivalent)
- Experience working in a customer service/contact centre environment
- A strategic thinker who will ensure we continue to provide an innovative, supportive and forward thinking environment for our teams
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life cover (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- a stakeholder pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- cinema passes
- up to 5 extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental and/or travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, childcare vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Town Centre, Northampton
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.