Agile Coach - London
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 425,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
The Agile Delivery Team is a growing body of enthusiastic hands-on Agile Coaches using Scrum, ScrumBan and Kanban as our main frameworks combined with practices from the agile and lean toolkits. Our ultimate aim is to support the company objectives by keeping the cost of change low, the process of change simple and the people involved motivated.
As a company, we embrace the adaption of the Deming Cycle offered in Eric Ries’ Lean Startup known as Build-Measure-Learn, so we are open to experimentation in both our products and our ways of working.
As an Agile Coach you will:
- coach and nurture team members of 1-2 teams, consisting of a product owner, developers and testers, to live by and actively practice Agile and Simply Business values
- strive to continuously improve your teams’ agile mindset, practices, process and team dynamics, whilst retaining or improving the ability to deliver consistently and at a sustainable pace
- work closely with your teams to support them in delivering value, quality, a great customer experience, but also to remove non-value adding activities, bottlenecks and blockers
- taking a coaching voice as an Agile coach, but also switching into ScrumMaster/Delivery Manager mode, depending on the experience of your team
- leading and coaching your team(s) and/or individuals in relation to the Agile framework, and tools which are appropriate for the team
- facilitating the framework specific, and any other necessary ad hoc meetings
- supporting your product owner with planning and the roadmap, as needed
- helping expose and facilitating removal of risks, issues, dependencies, impediments and blockers
- creating progress and feedback reporting tools (Burn Down, CFD, Cycle times, etc)
- protecting the team from outside distraction
- driving forward continuous improvement within the team
- coordinating with other Agile coaches to encourage, adopt and evolve the use understanding of the agile mindset, values, principle, processes and tools throughout the wider business
What we are looking for:
- experience working within and coaching on a Scrum, Scrumban and/or Kanban framework
- creative facilitation
- exceptional communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- enthusiasm to try out anything new you have learnt in relation to Agile
- skill at managing multiple stakeholders from all levels of the business
- comfortable challenging the team when needed
- understanding of the complexities of change management
- understanding of Agile software development and testing practices
- have a track record of getting the job done
- take pride and ownership in your work
- enthusiasm and aptitude for learning new skills and practices
- a cultural hacker; someone passionate about creating a fun and motivating environment
- someone unintimidated by being outside of their comfort zone
- thinking the word “resource”, when referring to people, is a dirty word
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental insurance
- travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.