Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

How to file company accounts: a guide for limited companies

4-minute read

Zach Hayward-Jones

Zach Hayward-Jones

22 June 2021

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Preparing company accounts for your limited company is a legal requirement, but it can seem like a daunting task. Here’s an overview of what you need to do.

Company accounts include full (statutory) annual accounts and your company tax return. Statutory accounts are annual financial records prepared at the end of your company’s financial year and sent to shareholders, Companies House, and HMRC as part of your tax return.

All limited companies must file their company accounts each year, although small businesses can send simpler accounts than their bigger counterparts.

Please use this article as a guide only and get professional advice before preparing your accounts. You can check the government’s company accounts guidance and speak to an accountant.

Company accounts deadlines

Every company needs to send a copy of its accounts for each financial year to every member of the company and file their accounts at Companies House. The accounts you file with Companies House are publicly available.

Normally, the time allowed for delivering accounts to Companies House for a private company is nine months from your accounting reference date (ARD). Your ARD refers to the end of your financial year.

When you form your company, your financial year starts on the day of incorporation and your first accounting reference date will be a year later, on the last day of the month you incorporated. Your ARD will then be on this date every year. For example, if you incorporated your company on the 6 July 2018, your first ARD will be on the 31 July 2019, and then 31 July every year.

As you deliver company accounts nine months after your ARD, this means your first company accounts aren’t due until 21 months after the date you registered with Companies House (your first financial year, plus nine months).

There are penalties for filing your report late, ranging from £150 for filing under a month late, to £1,500 for filing more than six months late.



File first accounts with Companies House

21 months after registering with Companies House

File annual accounts

Nine months after the end of your company’s financial year

Pay corporation tax (or tell HMRC you don’t owe any)

Nine months and one day after the end of your company’s accounting period for corporation tax

File company tax return

12 months after the end of your company’s accounting period for corporation tax

You use your company accounts and company tax return to work out how much corporation tax to pay, but confusingly, corporation tax is due before your company tax return.

How to prepare company accounts for a small company

Statutory accounts include a:

  • balance sheet, which shows the value of everything the company owns, owes and is owed
  • a profit and loss account, which shows the company’s sales, running costs, and any profit or loss made over the financial year
  • notes about the accounts

Depending on the size of your business, you may also have to include a director’s report and an auditor’s report.

But if the government counts your business as a small company or a micro-entity, you may be able to send simpler ‘abridged’ accounts to Companies House and not need to be audited.

Your company counts as small if it has at least two of the following:

  • a turnover of £10.2 million or less
  • £5.1 million or less on its balance sheet
  • 50 employees or fewer

It counts as a micro-entity if it has at least two of the following:

  • a turnover of £632,000 or less
  • £316,000 or less on its balance sheet
  • 10 employees or fewer

Small businesses and micro-entities can use an exemption so that their accounts don’t need to be audited, and can choose whether to send a copy of the director’s report and profit and loss account. The balance sheet can be simpler.

Micro-entities can prepare simpler accounts that just meet statutory minimum requirements, and send only their balance sheet to Companies House.

Statutory accounts need to meet accounting standards, either:

  • International Financial Reporting Standards
  • New UK Generally Accepted Accounting Practice

How to file company accounts

There’s lots of accounting software available, which you can use to prepare and file your annual accounts.

Or, if you’re a small company or a micro-entity, you may be able to use the Company Accounts and Tax Online (CATO) service, which allows you to submit your accounts data to both Companies House and HMRC at once.

You can also do your company accounts on paper and send them to Companies House in the post, but HMRC says paper accounts take a long time to process.

When it comes to the company tax return, you have to file online. You can only use the paper form CT600 if you have a reasonable excuse for not being able to file online, or you want to file in Welsh.

Can I prepare my own limited company accounts?

You can choose to do your own accounting for your limited company, including preparing and filing your annual accounts.

However, most limited companies hire an accountant to manage their finances. A limited company’s structure and obligations are more complex than sole proprietorships, meaning it can be difficult to do everything yourself. There are severe penalties if you make a mistake.

Accountants are experts in business finance – if you hire a good accountant they'll be able to take a lot of the stress out of filing your accounts with HMRC and Companies House. They can help you meet all of the legal requirements and avoid any penalties, ensuring company accounts meet accounting standards.

However, it’s important to understand that even if you use an accountant, company directors are still the ones who are legally responsible for making sure accounts are accurate.

Limited company accounts template

Your accountant or your accounting software will usually help you to format your annual accounts properly and to include all the necessary information. As we’ve said, what you need to include in your accounts will depend partly on the size of your business.

If you want to double check the required format and content for your statutory accounts, you can look at the relevant regulations, which can be found on the government’s legislation website. Accounts must comply with UK accounting standards.

There are some limited company accounts templates and examples online, including on the Sage website.

Be careful about using online templates, as they might not meet the right standards for company accounts. Check with a professional if you’re not sure about anything.

What are your biggest struggles when it comes to filing your annual accounts? Tell us in the comments.

Ready to set up your cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, we specialise in public liability insurance and protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote
Zach Hayward-Jones

Written by

Zach Hayward-Jones

Zach Hayward-Jones is a Copywriter at Simply Business, with six years of writing experience across entertainment, insurance, and financial services. Zach specialises in covering small business and landlord insurance. He has a particular interest in issues impacting the hospitality industry after spending a number of years working as a pastry chef.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.