Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge Centre

SIC codes and your business – what is a SIC code and when do you need one?

1-minute read

Sam Bromley

8 October 2020

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

SIC codes, or standard industrial classification codes, are five-digit codes that group companies by their business activities.

Get your free guide to SIC codes

Download your free in-depth guide to standard industrial classification codes. Get instant access to expert hints and tips in the click of a few buttons.

Your email address will be used by Simply Business to keep you posted with the latest news, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Simply Business Privacy policy.

SIC codes are designed to give Companies House a quick and easy way of understanding what your business does.

For example, Companies House uses SIC codes to track the number of businesses in different industries. You need to include a SIC code when you set up a limited company, and you also need to know your SIC code when you fill in your confirmation statement (annual return).

SIC codes are also used by other organisations like the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

What is a SIC code?

Standard industrial classification (SIC) is a system used by different countries to track industry activity.

SIC codes in the UK were established in 1948. There have been various revisions to the system over the years, as industries change and new ones develop. The current system is UK SIC 2007.

The SIC code system gives a standard way to group industries and to collect and analyse economic data.

It’s also international in scope – UK SIC 2007 was developed together with a revision of the European Union’s industrial classification system, NACE.

SIC codes are split into trade groups, designated A to U, and there are specific codes for particular lines of business under those groups.

For example, section R is for arts, entertainment and recreation and the SIC code 90010 is for performing arts.

You can use up to four SIC codes, because you might carry out a number of different business activities.

The performing arts business above might also provide support activities to performing arts, in which case it could add the SIC code 90020.

Companies House SIC codes

You need to know your SIC code when dealing with Companies House.

This means you need one when incorporating and when sending your confirmation statement, as mentioned. You also need one when registering for VAT.

  • when incorporating, you should give at least one SIC code, even if your company is dormant or not trading (SIC codes 99999 and 74990 respectively)
  • when sending your confirmation statement, you can update your business activities with Companies House by changing your SIC code

To find your SIC code for Companies House, use the condensed list of SIC codes, as opposed to the full list available from the ONS.

SIC codes – when do they change?

Every few years, the SIC code system changes to accommodate new (and changing) industries.

While SIC 2007 is the current system, and older codes are largely unused, you can go back and check previous SIC codes if you need to.

For example, the ONS has a document available here that lists SIC 2007 codes alongside SIC 2003 codes.

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.