Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

How much landlord insurance do I need?

Start your quote

What level of landlord insurance do I need?

Your amount of landlord buildings insurance should be based on the rebuild value of the property, while your landlord contents insurance is based on the contents’ replacement value. Most insurers offer standard cover limits for other insurance types like tenant default and legal expenses.

How much buildings insurance do you need?

To decide how much landlord buildings insurance to take out, you need to estimate the rebuild value of your property. This is different from the market value: it’s how much it would cost to rebuild your property from scratch, including labour and materials. You can hire a surveyor if you’re not sure about this.

How much contents insurance do you need?

Your contents insurance amount should be based on what it would cost to replace all of the furniture, appliances and other items you provide to your tenants. This may include things like the fridge, television and sofa. Note that the amount doesn’t include things that belong to your tenants, as they need to insure these separately.

It’s important that you estimate these values as accurately as possible and get enough insurance, because otherwise you may not be covered if you come to make a claim. Your insurer can apply ‘average’ to your claim if they believe you’re underinsured, which means they can reduce the amount of money they pay to you in proportion to your shortfall in cover. For example if they believe you’re underinsured by 25%, they can reduce any claim payment by 25%.

In terms of property owners’ liability cover, Simply Business offers £2 million or £5 million of cover. Our tenant default insurance covers your rental income up to a maximum of £2,500 per month, and our legal expenses insurance comes with a standard cover limit of £50,000.

Ready to set up your landlord cover?

Over 100,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy?

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
How much landlord insurance do I need?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.