Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

What is accidental damage insurance?

Start your quote

Accidental damage insurance can protect your property and contents against one-off incidents like spillages or breakages. Accidental damage insurance can be added to your landlord insurance policy to cover the repair or replacement cost if you, a tenant or a visitor accidentally damages something.

You will usually buy landlord accidental damage insurance alongside your landlord buildings insurance and landlords contents insurance.

When you’re buying this insurance, you need to estimate the rebuild value of your property and the replacement value of your contents as accurately as possible, so that you’re fully covered if you come to make a claim.

What does accidental damage insurance cover?

Accidental damage insurance can cover the cost of repairing or replacing your property or contents.

It could cover the cost of replacing your carpet if a tenant spilt red wine over it, for example, or the cost of repairing a wall if you damaged it while putting up shelves.

It won’t cover gradual wear and tear over time, and it also doesn’t cover items belonging to your tenants.

Read more

Do I need accidental damage insurance?

Some landlord insurance policies cover accidental damage under the buildings and contents part of the policy, so you may not need to buy separate accidental damage insurance. Check your policy documents if you’re not sure.

You may think you don’t need accidental damage insurance because the damage deposit you’ve taken from your tenants could cover the cost of any damage. But remember that it’s likely you won’t be able to access this money until your tenants move out, and also the cost of repair or replacement may be higher than the damage deposit.

Ready to set up your landlord cover?

Over 100,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy?

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
What is accidental damage insurance?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.