What does accidental damage insurance cover?

Accidental damage insurance can cover the cost of repairing or replacing your property or contents if they’re damaged by a one-off incident. It could cover the cost of replacing your carpet if a tenant spilt wine over it, or the cost of repairing a wall if you damaged it while putting up shelves.

Accidental damage may be covered under your landlord buildings insurance and your landlord contents insurance, or you may need to add accidental damage insurance to your policy as an additional cover.

It can cover the repair costs if your building is accidentally damaged, and the cost of repair or replacement if your contents are damaged. Contents includes the items that you provide to your tenants, for example any furniture or appliances that you’ve put in the rental property.

Accidental damage insurance won’t cover gradual wear and tear over time, and it also doesn’t cover items belonging to your tenants.

When you’re buying landlord insurance, make sure you accurately estimate the rebuild value of your property and the replacement value of your contents, so that you’re fully covered if you come to make a claim.

Ready to set up your landlord cover?

Over 100,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy?

Home Landlord insurance Landlord insurance FAQs What does accidental damage insurance cover?