Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

What does landlord contents insurance cover?

Start your quote

Landlord contents insurance can cover the cost of repairing or replacing household items like furniture and appliances if they’re damaged, destroyed or stolen. Landlord contents insurance only covers things that belong to the landlord - tenants need to take out their own contents insurance.

Imagine someone broke into your rental property and stole the television you’d provided for your tenants, or the property was flooded and the sofa suffered water damage. Your landlord contents insurance could cover the cost of replacing the TV or the sofa, minus any excess (the contribution you make towards the cost of the claim).

When you choose your level of landlord contents insurance, you need to estimate what it would cost to replace all of the household items you provide to your tenants.

What isn’t covered by landlord contents insurance

It’s important to understand that landlord contents insurance doesn’t cover gradual ‘wear and tear’ of furniture over time, or anything that belongs to the tenants. Your tenants will need to take out their own contents insurance policy to cover their possessions.

You may also want to include accidental damage insurance to make sure you’re covered if an item is accidentally damaged by a tenant or visitor, for example if wine is spilt on the sofa or an expensive vase is knocked over and broken.

Ready to set up your landlord cover?

Over 100,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy?

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
What does landlord contents insurance cover?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceNot for profit insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.