Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge centre

How to register as self-employed

4-minute read

Sam Bromley

27 January 2022

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

If you’ve decided to take the leap and set up as self-employed, you’re at the beginning of an exciting journey. But before you get stuck in, you need to register as self-employed first.

Use our guide on how to register as self-employed to tick this task off your to-do list.

Get your free guide to registering as self-employed with HMRC

Get your free in-depth guide which takes you through the process and explains why you need to register as self-employed.

Your email address will be used by Simply Business to keep you posted with the latest news, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Simply Business Privacy policy.

How to register as self-employed with HMRC – step by step

We’ll take you through the process in depth, but here’s a quick overview of how to register as self-employed:

  1. Complete your registration using your Government Gateway details, as well as information about your business, like your trading name and contact details

Once registered as self-employed you'll have a number of obligations and responsibilities, like completing an annual Self Assessment tax return.

Do I need to register as self-employed?

If you’re self-employed, you have to register with HMRC so your tax can be collected properly. But how do you know if you’re self-employed?

You're likely to be self-employed if you:

  • run your own business
  • have more than one customer at the same time
  • decide how and when you work
  • have the option to hire staff
  • take responsibility for completing unfinished or unsatisfactory work in your own time
  • charge a fixed price for your work, agreed with a customer
  • sell goods or services for a profit, apart from when you're just selling unwanted items on an ad-hoc basis

If you meet these criteria, you probably need to register as self-employed. HMRC explains more about what being self-employed means.

How do I register as self-employed?

Registering as self-employed is fairly straightforward. Head to the government's online registration portal and enter your email address.

You’ll then need to complete the registration process. Registering with HMRC is quick and easy, but here’s an overview of some of the information you’ll need to provide:

  • the date you started your business
  • basic personal details, including your National Insurance number and home address
  • information about the job you do

Once you're registered, HMRC will send you a letter with your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). HMRC will also set up your online account, which gives you access to a range of digital government services.

This part of the process usually takes around seven to 10 days, but you can call HMRC for an update if it’s taking longer.

Naming your business

You’ll also need to decide on a name for your business. Many people choose to trade under their own name, but you could pick one that helps make you stand out.

If you choose a specific trading name, make sure you double check that there aren't any existing businesses using the same name. This helps avoid confusion and avoid potential copyright infringement.

When do I need to register as self-employed?

According to HMRC, you should register at the earliest opportunity. However, there's a deadline. Legally you need to register by 5 October after the end of the tax year in which you became self-employed.

For example, if you started your business in July 2021, you'd need to register with HMRC by 5 October 2022.

Ideally you wouldn't leave your registration this late. If anything goes wrong and you're unable to register by the deadline, you could find yourself with a very large tax bill.

Do I need to register as a sole trader?

Being self-employed doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re a sole trader. If you work for yourself, on your own, you're probably a sole trader – but there are other options.

If you're in a business partnership, you need to register as self-employed, but not as a sole trader. Instead, you should register as a partner.

What if I have a limited company?

If you set up a limited company, it’s more complicated. You’ll be an owner of a company as well as its employee. Your tax and National Insurance calculation will also be different.

Our guide to setting up a limited company covers what you need to know.

Your responsibilities once you’ve registered as self-employed

Once you’ve registered you have a number of responsibilities.

Most importantly you should keep accurate records, particularly of any sales or outgoings connected with your business.

It’s also useful to keep hold of any correspondence from HMRC. These letters and documents can help you to complete your tax return quickly and easily.

By 31 January every year, you should file your Self Assessment tax return online.

You'll need to make payments to HMRC on 31 January and 31 July, although you may be able to stagger these payments if HMRC agrees. As well as income tax, you’ll have to pay both Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance Contributions (NICs).

If your annual turnover is above the VAT threshold (£85,000 for the 2021-22 tax year), you should register for VAT.

However, you may choose to register even if your turnover is below this level. The individual circumstances of your business will determine whether this is right for you.

How to register self-employed status if you have additional needs

For some people, registering as self-employed might be more difficult. If you (or someone you're helping) are deaf, hearing-impaired or have a speech impediment, blind or partially sighted, or if English isn't your first language, use's additional needs page for help.

There are also services available if you find it difficult to fill in forms, process complicated information, or use the internet or phone. Whether this is because of a condition like dyslexia, anxiety or stress, or a disability, help is available.

What insurance do self-employed people need?

Self-employed insurance can cover different things, depending on the kind of work you do, and whether you have any employees.

Public liability for accidents and professional indemnity for mistakes often make up part of the policy, but employers' liability may even be a legal requirement, if you employ anyone.

Check out our FAQs for more information.

Have you had a good experience registering as self-employed? Let us know in the comments.

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

People also liked

19 November 20202-minute read

Landlords could be targeted in new capital gains tax raid

Landlords could be hit by another massive tax raid, as the Office of Tax Simplification outlines its recommendations for an overhaul of…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.