Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Public liability or professional indemnity?

Start your quote

Public liability insurance can cover compensation claims if you’re sued by a member of the public for injury or damage, while professional indemnity insurance can cover compensation claims if you’re sued by a client for a mistake that you make in your work.

At Simply Business we insure all kinds of trades like:

Is your profession not listed? When you run a quote you can select your trade from over 1,000 options.

What is the difference between public liability and professional indemnity?

Public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance are both business insurance covers designed to cover compensation claims. However, the types of compensation claims they cover can be quite different.

What public liability insurance can cover

Public liability insurance can cover your business for:

  • injury compensation claims made against you
  • property damage compensation claims made against you
  • legal fees associated with injury or damage compensation claims

Compensation claims covered by public liability insurance are those made by members of the public, which can include clients, customers, suppliers and passersby.

For example, if you run a restaurant and a supplier slips on a newly-cleaned floor, or you run a consultancy business and you spill a cup of coffee over a client’s computer equipment, you could face a compensation claim.

This means public liability insurance is useful for most businesses (as most businesses come into contact with the public), but it’s particularly important for shops, tradespeople and salons. Some client contracts will require you to have a certain level of public liability insurance.

What professional indemnity insurance can cover

Professional indemnity insurance can cover your business for compensation claims made by a client because you’ve made a mistake in your work. The mistakes it covers could include:

  • professional negligence
  • unintentional breaches of copyright or confidentiality
  • loss of documents or data
  • defamation or libel

This means that professional indemnity insurance is mainly useful for businesses that provide a professional service or offer advice. For example, if you accidentally forwarded confidential client information to a third party, or if your architecture firm made a mistake in plans and a building collapsed as a result, you could face a compensation claim.

Professional indemnity insurance is a requirment of some membership bodies and regulators - if you’re a self-employed solicitor, financial adviser, accountant, or architect, for example.

Professional indemnity and public liability cover limits

The cover limits of public liability vs. professional indemnity insurance tend to be a bit different too. You can usually buy professional indemnity insurance with a cover limit of between £50,000 and £5 million, while public liability insurance policies are usually between £1 million and £10 million.

Buying professional indemnity and public liability insurance

You can buy professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance in a single business insurance policy from Simply Business, and add other business insurance covers too.

Alternatively, you can buy a standalone public liability insurance policy. And some businesses - including accountants, consultants, engineers, journalists and surveyors - can buy standalone professional indemnity insurance policies. If you’re not sure whether your business can get a standalone professional indemnity policy, run through our quote form or give us a call on 0333 014 6683.

Ready to set up your business insurance?

As the UK's biggest business insurance provider, we protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Public liability or professional indemnity?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.