Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Landlord tax rates

Quick, easy and specific. Compare and buy today.

Start your quote

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • NIG insurance
  • Chiswell insurance
  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Covea insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • Finsbury insurance

Trusted by 800,000 customers

Insuring businesses and landlords for over a decade

Satisfaction score of 9/10

For public liability insurance

Award-winning claims team

With a UK-based team available 24/7

How much tax does a landlord pay on rental income?

Landlords are business owners, and you’ll pay tax depending on how your business is run. As a quick start pointer, it's worth getting familiar with things like ‘allowable expenses’, and you’ll need to register as a Self Assessment taxpayer. Remember, tax needn’t be taxing – you just need to find out where you stand.

Start your quote

Read more about

  • Landlord insurance

Working out your landlord tax

The amount of tax you pay will depend on how your property is rented, your rental income, and your total ‘allowable expenses’. These are the costs that HMRC permits you to deduct from your earnings for tax purposes, and can include:

  • Agent fees
  • Legal fees associated with signing or renewing a lease
  • Accounting fees
  • Landlord insurance
  • Interest on mortgages
  • Property maintenance and repair costs
  • Utility bills (water, gas, and electricity)
  • Ground rent
  • Council Tax
  • Domestic services (eg gardening)
  • Other costs directly associated with renting out a property

To find out the figure on which your tax will be based (your net income), you can subtract your allowable expenses from your total income. You may also be able to deduct a wear and tear or renewals allowance. If you have more than one property, remember that HMRC will treat them all as one business.

Exceptions and room rentals

The situation is different if you want to let a furnished room or a floor in your own house or flat. In this case you may be able to use the Rent A Room scheme, under which you can earn up to £7,500 a year tax-free. You also won’t need to complete a tax return, provided that your rental earnings remain below that threshold. You must be a resident landlord in order to qualify for Rent A Room.

Rated 4.7/5 by customers

feefo logo.

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist.

Read our reviews

It is a very good and easy to use service. I've been a customer for several years and the renewal system is very straight forward. I've always found the quotes competitive too. I'd definitely recommend Simply Business.

R Matthews, Handyman

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Landlord tax rates


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.