Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Running a business from home – do you need permission?

5-minute read

Rosanna Parrish

Rosanna Parrish

14 July 2023

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

More people are working from home than ever before as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic and increased flexible working.

But if you want to run your own business from home, you might need to get permission to do so first.

The permission you need to ask for before you can run a business from home depends on the type of property you live in. It also depends on whether you own or rent it, as well as the kind of small business you’re setting up.

What constitutes running a business from home? says that you’re probably self-employed and running a business if you:

  • take responsibility for its success or failure
  • have a number of customers at the same time
  • make decisions over how, when, and where you work
  • hire staff to help
  • provide equipment to do the work yourself
  • complete unsatisfactory work in your own time
  • charge a fixed price for your work
  • sell goods or services to make a profit (including through websites and apps)

Yes, but there are different rules depending on the type of property. If you’re running a business from home, council rules will also be a consideration. Here we discuss the rules for running your business from a council house, a rented house, a property you own, a garage, and even a shed.

Can you run a business from a council house?

If you’re thinking about setting up from your council house, it’s likely you’ll need written permission from your local council or housing association, so check with them first. You might need to fill out a form to apply.

Check your tenancy agreement for specific wording that might prevent you from running a business from your council house. If you ask your council and they do give you permission, you might need to sign another agreement.

Your council may refuse permission if they have reason to believe that your business will disturb your neighbours, or damage your home. They may also refuse if they think that running a business from home will cause a material change in usage of the property.

For example, if you’ll have delivery vans coming to and from your property, or you’ll be running noisy machinery, you’re probably going to disturb your neighbours.

Running a business from a council property may also have implications for the council tax you pay and the benefits you receive.

Can you run a business from a rented house?

You’ll need your landlord’s written permission to run a business from a rented house. Check your tenancy agreement, too. If you do get permission, you should get your tenancy agreement changed.

Your landlord can’t ‘unreasonably’ withhold or delay giving permission for you to run a business in the property.

A landlord might refuse permission if they think the let for your proposed business should be commercial instead of residential. They may also refuse permission if they believe your business will cause the property excessive wear and tear, or your business will cause a nuisance to neighbours.

If you run an internet business, you might not want to register or market your business with your rented property's address.

As an alternative, you could sign up for a parcel forwarding service if you don't want to give your residential address for return requests.

This also helps you protect your physical location from disgruntled customers and cyber criminals.

Read more about running a business from a rented house.

And if you're a landlord wondering about whether your tenant can run a business from their rental property, we have a guide for that too.

Can you run a business from a property you own?

Find out if there are any legal restrictions or ‘restrictive covenants’ on running a business from your home. These covenants may prohibit certain uses of your home.

The property title (held by the Land Registry) will include details of any restrictions. You can also check the documents you were given by your solicitor when you bought the property.

Even without these restrictions, you might cause a nuisance to your neighbours, so have a think about whether your business will disturb homes around you.

According to the law, your business will need to be more than just annoying to be a nuisance. It will need to cause damage to your neighbour's property or hinder their enjoyment of it – but if the nuisance is severe enough, it could mean a trip to court.

Will running a business from your property affect your mortgage?

Residential mortgages often stop you from using your home to run a business, so if you have a mortgage, you should check your terms.

You may need to get permission from your mortgage lender, as breaching the terms of your loan could result in dire consequences (like making it repayable immediately).

You may also need planning permission if you’re making changes to your home, or if running your business will cause a ‘material change’ in how your property is used.

Checking with your local authority is likely to prevent any problems for you further down the line (getting a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Use or Development will confirm you can go ahead).

Depending on the type of business you’re running, you may need a licence from your local authority. And remember that running a business from home may affect your council tax, because the part of your home that you’re running a business from may be liable for business rates. You can find out more at the Valuation Office Agency.

Can I run a business from my garage?

There isn’t necessarily anything stopping you from running a business from your garage, but you’ll need to ask permission depending on your type of property, as we’ve outlined above.

Whether you can run a business from your garage will come down to the type of business you're looking to set up and whether it'll cause a material change in usage of the property.

If your business is likely to cause a disturbance to your neighbours, for example, permission (whether it’s from the council or your landlord) may be refused.

If you own your home, and you’re not sure whether the material use is changing, it may be best to seek planning permission, as we've outlined above.

If you do choose to work from your garage, make sure you read our tips for setting up the perfecr home office space.

Can I run a business from my shed?

Working from a garden office is a great way to separate your work life from your personal life when you run your business from home. It’s fine to run a business from an office shed, but you should get permission depending on the type of property you live in.

Once again, be sure to think about whether your business will cause a nuisance to your neighbours, or cause a material change in the usage of your property. If you’re running a business from home, planning permission or a licence may be needed if it expands.

Running a business from home ideas

You may be keen on the idea of running a business from home, but not sure what kind of business to start.

Here are some of the most popular home business ideas:

Read our guides on the best UK small business ideas and how to start a home business for further inspiration. There's also business ideas for stay at home mums.

Once you’ve decided on the type of business you want to launch, our business name generator can help you pick a name.

If you're not sure whether working from home full-time is for you, it could be beneficial to adopt a hybrid working model.

Do you need insurance for running a business from home?

If you get the permission you need to run a business from home, it’s highly likely you’ll need some insurance.

Having running a business from home insurance can give you the protection and peace of mind you need to kickstart your company.

There are different types of business insurance you may need. For example, if you run a hairdressing business from home and you employ staff, it’s likely you’ll need employer’s liability insurance.

Meanwhile, if you operate a PR business from your home and you offer advice to clients, you’ll probably need professional indemnity insurance.

A home business, such as a cake and baking business, is likely to need public liability insurance as you’ll be in contact with members of the public.

Read our guide to the type of business insurance you’ll need to make sure you’re covered.

Small business guides and resources

Do you have any stories about getting permission to run a business from home? Let us know in the comments below.

Photograph 1: Jacob Lund/

Photograph 2: milanmarkovic78/

Ready to set up your cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, we specialise in public liability insurance and protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote
Rosanna Parrish

Written by

Rosanna Parrish

Rosanna Parrish is a Copywriter at Simply Business specialising in side hustles – as well as all things freelance, social media, and ecommerce. She’s been writing professionally for nine years. Starting her career in health insurance, she also worked in education marketing before returning to the insurance world.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.