Guide to the different types of tenancy agreements in the UK

A written tenancy agreement makes things clear between you and your tenants, but which type of tenancy agreement is right for you? We run through some of the main options.

A tenancy agreement is a document that sets out the terms of a tenancy. When you’re renting out a property, having a written tenancy agreement is a good way of making sure that the rental conditions between you and your tenant are clear.

If you’re new to buy-to-let, choosing a tenancy agreement can be confusing. Our guide will help you get to grips with the different types of tenancy, so that you can pick the tenancy agreement that suits your situation best.

Types of tenancy

These are some of the types of tenancy you may come across:

  • assured shorthold tenancy (AST)
  • excluded tenancy (lodging)
  • assured tenancy
  • non-assured tenancy
  • regulated tenancy
  • company let

Although this seems like a long list of tenancy types, the most common form of tenancy is the assured shorthold tenancy. Unless your property rental fulfils certain criteria, it’s likely that an assured shorthold tenancy agreement is the right one for you. But we’ll run through each tenancy type so that you can make sure.

Assured shorthold tenancy

Most tenancies are automatically ASTs. As long as the property is private (i.e. not commercial), the tenancy started after 1989, the property is the tenant’s main accommodation, and you (the landlord) don’t live in the property, it is likely to be rented on an assured shorthold tenancy.

Even if you’re renting individual rooms to tenants who share facilities, you can use an assured shorthold tenancy. However, if you’re charging extremely high rent (over £100k per year) or low or no rent, or if it’s a holiday rental, you can’t use an assured shorthold tenancy.

Most assured shorthold tenancy agreements will stipulate an initial fixed term of six or 12 months. You can’t raise the rent during this time unless the tenant agrees, or there’s a rent review clause in the contract. You are required to protect the tenant’s deposit in a government-approved deposit protection scheme. Once the fixed term is over, if you don’t sign a new contract with your tenant, the tenancy agreement automatically becomes ‘periodic’, moving to a monthly rolling contract with the same rent.

Assured shorthold tenancy agreement template - free PDF or Word download

Sign up for our special content and email newsletters to access these documents. Once you’ve filled that in you can select whether you want your template as a PDF or a Word document and it will be with you in moments.

Non-assured shorthold tenancy

This type of tenancy can only be used in particular situations, where an assured shorthold tenancy can’t be used. This may be because the rent is less than £250 per year, the tenant has their main home elsewhere, or you live in the same property as your tenant (as long as you don’t share any facilities).

As this isn’t an assured shorthold tenancy, you don’t have to pay the deposit into a government-backed deposit protection scheme, and you don’t have to give a Section 21 or Section 8 Notice to end the tenancy. However, the tenant has the right to stay in the property until the end of the fixed term, as long as they comply with the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Excluded tenancy (for lodgers)

If you live in the property with your tenant and share facilities (for example you have a lodger in your home) then this may count as an excluded tenancy. Excluded tenancies don’t give the tenant as many protections as an assured shorthold tenancy. You don’t need to protect your tenant’s deposit in a government-approved deposit scheme, and you can usually evict the tenant without a court order and without giving four weeks’ notice, as long as you adhere to the tenancy agreement.

Assured tenancy

If you’re just beginning to rent out your property, you’re unlikely to opt for this type of tenancy. Assured tenancies were more commonly used in the past: tenancies that began between 1989 and 1997 may be assured tenancies, and they give tenants long-term tenancy rights. Housing associations often rent properties on assured tenancies.

Regulated tenancy

This is another one that you’re unlikely to use. It was a form of tenancy that was used before 1989, and it was a long-term tenancy, with tenants entitled to a fair rent set by the Valuation Office Agency.

Company let

If you’re renting your property to a company rather than an individual, the tenancy isn’t an assured shorthold tenancy. This means that it’s not governed by the same rules when it comes to things like deposit protection and eviction, and you can give a ‘notice to quit’ to end the tenancy, rather than serving a Section 21 or Section 8 Notice.

The information given is this article is not legal advice, and if you need help with your buy-to-let property and your tenancy agreement, you should seek professional legal counsel.

Any more questions about tenancy types? Ask away in the comments.

Get set with tailored landlord cover

Over 200,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy? Run a quick landlord insurance quote today.

Start your quote