Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Holiday let insurance

Join over 315,000 UK property owners with cover from £13.26 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare alternative accommodation cover from trusted brands

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,782 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why is holiday home insurance important?

From broken furniture and injuries to damage caused by severe weather or fire, there are lots of risks if you rent out a property as a holiday let. Having tailored holiday let insurance lets you focus on managing your rental rather than the what-ifs.

  • landlord holiday lets insurance, UK-based contact and claims team
  • tailored landlord insurance for your unique needs – 80 per cent of settled claims paid in 24 hours
  • cover for accidental or malicious damage – plus lost items, fire, and water damage

Start your quote

What does holiday lets insurance cover?

Holiday lettings insurance is designed to cover landlords who rent out a property solely to holiday makers throughout the year. Holiday maker tenants can stay at your property for no longer than 31 days and this cover isn't valid for personal use.

For this cover to be valid, you’ll need to rent out your whole property to holiday makers for their own use. You won’t be covered if you rent out a room in your property.

Buildings insurance

In case disaster hits and your property gets damaged.

What's typically covered by buildings insurance?

  • damage to your property caused by incidents like fire, lightning, and explosion
  • malicious and aerial damage (caused by things like aerials, satellite dishes, or masts)
  • escape of water damage

For example:

  • strong winds cause severe damage to the roof of your property
  • a fire in the kitchen means it has to be completely refurbished

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • accidental damage to the property caused by your tenants – you’ll need to add our specific accidental damage cover for this

You can include these optional covers in the same policy, just start a quote and tell us more about your rental property.

Read more about business buildings insurance

Landlords’ contents insurance

In case disaster hits and your contents get damaged.

What's typically covered by landlords’ contents insurance?

  • damage to your property caused by incidents like fire, lightning, and explosion
  • theft, as well as aerial and malicious damage
  • damage caused by escape of water

Contents include things like your appliances, furniture, and household goods.

For example:

  • a leak in the upstairs bathroom causes damage to the contents of the room directly beneath it

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • accidental damage to the property caused by your tenants – you’ll need to add our specific accidental damage cover for this

You can include this optional cover in the same policy, just start a quote and tell us more about your holiday home.

Read more about landlord contents insurance

Accidental damage insurance

In case your guests accidentally damage your property.

What's typically covered by accidental damage insurance?

  • unexpected physical damage to your property or buildings, contents, fixtures and fittings, caused by your tenants or their visitors

Make sure you add the right cover – as well as accidental damage protection, you’ll need to include specific buildings, contents, fixtures and fittings cover when deciding on what you want to insure, depending on the items you want to protect. Start a quote now and put it all together in one holiday let policy.

For example:

  • a tenant’s suitcase scratches the wooden flooring in your hallway

a lamp you’ve provided gets broken during a tenant’s holiday stay

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • malicious damage caused by tenants, and trace/access (getting a specialist to locate the source of a problem) – these aren’t automatically included by every insurer, so check your quote carefully

Read more about accidental damage insurance

Property owners’ liability insurance

In case you’re responsible for injuries or damage, as the property’s owner.

What's typically covered by property owners’ liability insurance?

  • legal liability for injuries, accidental loss, or damage, as the owner of the property

For example:

  • a guest’s child trips on a loose skirting board, falling and breaking their shoulder
  • a tile comes loose from the roof and damages a guest’s car parked outside your holiday let

What you'll need additional cover for:

  • accidental damage to your own property

Read more about landlord liability insurance

Excess insurance

In case you need to make a claim on your holiday lets policy.

What's typically covered by excess insurance?

  • the cost of the excess you’d have to pay when making a claim on a cover included in your holiday lets policy

For example:

  • after a heavy storm you need to make a claim on your buildings cover – you don’t have to pay the £250 excess thanks to your excess insurance
  • a group of holiday makers accidentally break your barbeque while staying at your property. You make a claim on your accidental damage cover, but don’t need to pay the £100 excess thanks to your excess insurance

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of landlord insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does holiday let insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £13.26 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose holiday let insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of insurance for a holiday home can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

What if my property is unoccupied?

If you've bought insurance for an unoccupied property, you'll be asked to confirm if the property is expected to be occupied within 60 days of the policy starting.

After this, you must contact us to confirm when the property becomes occupied – if you don't tell us, this can cause a delay in any claims being processed.

You should also be aware that you can't claim for lost rent under the loss of rent section of your insurance if your property becomes unoccupied.

Are carpets and curtains covered?

The definition of 'fixtures and fittings' will depend on the insurer – sometimes, it will include laminate flooring, carpets, curtains and blinds.

It's a good idea to check the wording in your policy to understand what's covered.

Read more about landlord contents insurance and buildings insurance.

What if I have a different type of property?

You can add a range of other important covers to your landlord insurance policy, all while keeping it simple with a single premium and a single renewal date. You might consider these covers:

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£39 million in claims paid out in 2022

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2022

Chosen by 800,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 315,000 landlord customers now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,782 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Holiday lets insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying landlord insurance or you’ve been renting out your property to holiday makers for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about holiday home insurance. You can also check out our landlord insurance FAQs.

  • When you let your property to holiday makers, you face a range of risks. From accidental damage and injuries caused by your property to serious incidents like a fire or flood, it’s important that your investment has the right protection.

    A tailored holiday lets insurance policy that includes a range of covers to suit your unique needs can give you peace of mind, letting you focus on your rental business.

  • You aren’t legally required to take out a specific holiday lets policy. However, a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities. What’s more, your mortgage lender will usually demand you have specific landlord cover in place before you let your property to holiday makers.

    Popular covers for holiday lets include property owners’ liability, contents insurance, accidental damage cover, and buildings cover.

  • It’s unlikely a standard buildings insurance policy will cover your property if you rent it out to holiday makers. Before letting your property, you’ll need to check with your insurer and your mortgage broker. It’s likely you’ll need a dedicated holiday lets policy which can include covers such as buildings, contents, and accidental damage.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for landlords


27 April 2021 • 3-minute read

A guide to letting agent fees for landlords

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Holiday let insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.