Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Do landlords need contents insurance?

Start your quote

Landlords generally need contents insurance if they provide furniture or other items to their tenants and want to insure them from damage or theft. This means that landlords who rent furnished or part-furnished properties often decide they need contents insurance.

You may have heard the rough rule of thumb that if you turned your property upside down, the things that fell out would be counted as ‘contents’ for insurance purposes.

This means that if you rent out a furnished property and you provide your tenants with things like a sofa, dining table and beds, you’ll probably decide that you need landlord contents insurance to cover these items if they’re stolen, damaged or destroyed.

However, you may also decide you need it if you rent your property part-furnished or if you’ve just provided basic furnishings, as things like curtains and freestanding kitchen appliances are usually included under contents cover. You may also find that carpets aren’t included under your landlord buildings insurance, so you need landlord contents insurance to cover them.

Remember that you can only cover the things in the property that belong to you: if your tenants want to cover their furniture and possessions, they will need to take out their own insurance policy.

If you’re a landlord unsure whether you need contents insurance because you’re not clear on how it differs from buildings insurance, check out our page explaining the difference between buildings and contents insurance.

Ready to set up your landlord cover?

Over 100,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy?

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Do landlords need contents insurance?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.