Telephone iconCall UsTelephone icon0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Public liability insurance for market traders

Quick, easy and specific. Compare and buy today.

Start your quote

Compare quotes from leading brands

checklist logo.

Trusted by 750,000 customers

Insuring businesses and landlords for over a decade

conversation logo.

Satisfaction score of 9/10

For public liability insurance

team logo.

Award-winning claims team

With a UK-based team available 24/7

Quick, quality insurance for market traders and stallholders, sorted in minutes

With the busy backdrop to any stall upping the likelihood of accidents, market traders and stallholders tend to face more risks than most. It's here that public liability can protect you and put your mind at rest, keeping you covered if a member of the public suffers a loss or injury because of your business. Click below to compare market trader insurance quotes and a find a policy that fits your own requirements.

Cover from £6.82 a month, get insured in minutes. (10% of direct debit customers repay their annual policy in 10 monthly payments of £6.82 or less across all our trades insured. Based on data from 1 October 2019 - 31 March 2020, for comparison only. Cancellation charges may apply, please refer to our full terms & conditions.)

Start your quote


PL why do i need it

Do I need public liability insurance for a market stall?

While generally public liability insurance is not a legal requirement in the UK, it is a very popular cover for market traders and stallholders, as well as for other businesses that regularly come into contact with members of the public.

Public liability insurance can cover compensation costs if someone sues your business for injury or damage. For example, a customer slipping or tripping over is one of the most common accidents in the book, and can often result in a public liability insurance claim.

The average insurance claim for market traders is £3,424 – could you afford this if the worst happened? (Average claim being £3,424. Based on data from 21 November 2018 - 20 November 2019, for comparison only. Cancellation charges may apply, please refer to our full terms & conditions.)

market trader product

Product liability insurance for market traders

Public liability insurance from Simply Business includes product liability insurance, which can be particularly important for market traders, as it protects your business in the event that your product causes injury or damage to a person or their property.

Should that happen, you could be liable to pay compensation even if you didn’t manufacture the product, and the costs can be severe.

stock feature

Other market stall covers

You can tailor your market stall insurance policy to your own requirements choosing from additional covers, such as stock insurance, business premises insurance, business interruption insurance and more.

Need more details? Hear more about your business cover options from our expert team in a quick set of videos. Just choose the cover you’re interested in and get some expert insight into how our range of options can help your stall.

market trader PL

How much public liability insurance do I need as a market trader?

At Simply Business, we offer a minimum level of £1 million for public liability cover, but how do you choose the right level for you?

Depending on what you sell at your market stall or where it's located, you may need more than the minimum level of cover, so check in with your local council – they should be able to tell you what you'll need, plus give a bit of guidance on local process.

Read more on how much public liability insurance you may need and find more information in our FAQ section.

watch the details

Watch your stallholder insurance details

It’s very important to make sure you understand what you need from your market trader insurance. Use the check points below to get you thinking.

  • Check the policy documents before you buy for exclusions and excesses
  • If you employ people, you’re legally obliged to take out employers’ liability insurance. Not doing this could lead to a heavy fine
  • Is your business covered for the right things? For example, if your work involves you being at heights above 10m, is this covered?
  • Have you chosen the right level of cover for your business and a level that’s acceptable for your customers?

Rated 4.7/5 by customers

Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
Star icon
feefo logo.

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist.

Read our reviews

It is a very good and easy to use service. I've been a customer for several years and the renewal system is very straight forward. I've always found the quotes competitive too. I'd definitely recommend Simply Business.

R Matthews, Handyman

Chevron right icon
Chevron right icon
Chevron right icon
Chevron right icon
Public liability insurance for market traders

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceProfessionals' insuranceNot for profit insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2021 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.