Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Craft insurance

Join over 6,500 crafters like you with PL cover from £3.49 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare tailored craft insurance from trusted brands
Man building a wooden ship

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,782 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need craft insurance?

When you’re making brilliant creations to sell at a craft stall, the last thing you want to worry about is mistakes, accidents, injury and damage. But what if someone trips over your table? Or hurts themselves on an item you’ve sold? Insurance helps you cover yourself against the costs of things going wrong. (Selling crafts online instead? You’ll need to set your trade as ‘online retailer’, then ‘arts and crafts’, on our quote form.)

  • Protection against big claims, including legal costs and medical expenses payouts
  • Peace of mind in case something happens to the craft materials and the products in your sales inventory
  • Cover what you need, whether you work alone or you have others working with you

Start your quote

What does craft insurance cover?

Your insurance should be as bespoke as your craft. That’s why we give you the choice about what to put in your policy. From the public and product liability insurance for crafters uk to an extra layer of protection against personal accidents, you choose the cover that suits you.

Public liability insurance

In case someone gets injured or their property gets damaged as a result of your craft business.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance for crafters?

Claims against your business for:

  • injury to someone else, or damage to their property, caused by you while you’re working, or as a result of your craft work
  • injury to someone else, or damage to their property, caused by your employee (remember, if you employ people, you're required by law to have employers' liability insurance)

For example:

  • you’re exhibiting at a craft fair and an elderly customer trips over some boxes on the floor next to your craft stall, breaking their hip
  • a customer suffers a dislocated shoulder when one of your decorative craft display stands falls on top of them
  • you’ve sold a ceramic vase to someone at your craft stall, and as they’re unpacking it at home later that day, they slice their hand open on a sharp edge

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case something happens to an employee while they’re working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • injury or illness experienced by your staff as a result of being employed by your craft business

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • your employee trips over a patch of loose flooring at a craft fair and fractures his kneecap
  • your employee accidentally cuts her finger with a metal knitting needle, and she accuses you of failing to provide appropriate safety training

Stock insurance

In case something happens to the craft products and materials you keep in stock.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • loss, damage or theft of the materials you use to carry out your craft work
  • loss, damage or theft of the craft items you’re planning to sell to customers, whether stored at your registered address or in your vehicle (but not at a craft stall)

For example:

  • your finished craft products and craft materials (such as prototypes, fabric, paints, beads, pens, card) are stolen in a burglary at your business premises
  • somebody breaks into your car while you’re at a trade fair and steals a box full of extra craft products you’re planning to sell

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • your craft items while at your stall – most stock insurance policies for crafters won’t cover you for this due to to the challenge of ensuring minimum security conditions

Read more about stock insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case your craft business is faced with legal costs.

  • legal costs that crop up in the day-to-day running of your company
  • the cost of legal claims relating to property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • the cost of resolving disputes, whether to do with tax and compliance or your employees
  • a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline, and crisis communications support to help you protect the reputation of your craft business

For example:

  • you fired your trainee craftworker after discovering that they were stealing decorative fabrics from you, but they’re denying it and accusing you of unfair dismissal, so you need to defend your legal rights
  • your craft company is being looked into by HMRC, and you (and any other directors) need help responding to HMRC’s enquiries

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you've covered has an accident.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death at work or outside of work, for anyone covered on the policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you get your hand caught in your sewing machine, and the resulting injury means you can’t create any new craft items for two weeks
  • your employee falls down the stairs in a clothing shop at the weekend and breaks their leg

Read more about personal accident insurance

How much does craft insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.19 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example crafters insurance quotes, real prices

chiswell insurance

£7.68 /month

£56.82 /year

A new set up self employed crafter who sells online

  • Less than 1 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Brighton
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability

    Not included

  • Stock

    Not included

finsbury insurance

£23.74 /month

£211.05 /year

A small arts and craft shop with two employees and sells online

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Sheffield
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Stock


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 03/03/2023). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers liability

No excess

No excess




The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Does craft insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider online retailer insurance or art gallery insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do insurance for crafters uk claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. "Settled" covers paid, declined or withdrawn. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis. Our specialist partner Sedgwick will pay the claims on behalf of the insurer. Reviewed on 24/04/2024.

Example craft cover claim

Having craft insurance through Simply Business has saved crafters thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Marguerite saved more than £1,250

After a heavy storm one day, Marguerite (not her real name) realised the shed where she kept all her stock had been blown away by the wind. She took photos of the damage and the remnants of her crafts strewn all over her garden. Thankfully she had an insurance policy in place, so she was able to make a claim for the value of the items she’d lost.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of lost stock

  • Marguerite costs


    The excess amount stated in Marguerite policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,782 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Crafters insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business craft business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about craft insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • If you have people working for you in your homemade soap business, you’re legally required to take out employers’ liability insurance.

    It also depends on how and where you sell your homemade soap. The T&Cs of your premises’s rental agreement or the online platform you’re using may insist that you have a specific type of cover – for instance, public liability insurance or [building insurance](/insurance/business-buildings] – so it’s always worth checking.

    Other types of cover worth looking into include:

  • Etsy might not require you to have business insurance for your online store, but lots of sellers choose to take out a policy just in case.

    The main type of cover to know about is public and product liability insurance. This protects you against accidental damage or injury caused by you in person or by a product you’ve sold.

    If you sell craft products online – whether through Etsy or another marketplace – and you’re getting a policy through Simply Business, you’ll want to select “online retailer” as your trade, then “arts and crafts insurance”. Bear in mind, this policy wouldn’t cover you if you sell your products via other retailers, such as distributors and wholesalers.

    It’s important to note that some insurers won’t cover the theft of your craft products from a physical stall at a craft fair, because the security measures are difficult to monitor. But your products are usually covered when they’re locked away in your vehicle or at your business premises (provided it’s self-contained, with a lockable entry and exit that’s under your control).

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 043 8527. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for crafters

Woman painting a ceramic pot

23 Feb 2022 • 7-minute read

How to start a craft business in the UK

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Craft insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.