Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

What is building insurance?

Start your quote

Building insurance is a cover that can pay to rebuild or repair the structure of your property if it’s damaged or destroyed. It covers parts of your property like the walls, floors and roof if they’re affected by something like fire, storm, flood or vandalism.

What does building insurance cover?

Building insurance can cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your property if it’s hit by a disaster like a storm, fire or flood, or if it’s damaged by something like vandalism or subsistence.

Landlord building insurance is specifically designed to protect your rental property from these risks. Although it’s not a legal requirement, your mortgage provider will usually insist that you have a policy.

Read more

What is the difference between buildings and contents insurance?

The difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance hinges on the difference between the structure of the property and the possessions inside the property.

Buildings insurance covers the permanent, physical structure of your property, including the walls, roof and floors. It usually also includes fixtures and fittings, for example fitted cupboards or a fitted kitchen or bathroom.

Contents insurance covers the things inside the property, for example furniture, appliances, and decorative items. Some types of flooring (carpets, for example) usually count as contents, although it’s worth checking your policy documents to make sure. In the case of landlord contents insurance, only items belonging to the landlord are covered: tenants need to take out their own insurance to cover their possessions.

Read more

Ready to set up your landlord cover?

Over 100,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy?

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
What is building insurance?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceNot for profit insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.