Is it time to clean up your social media accounts? A new survey has revealed that two thirds of UK homeowners look for tradespeople on social media, with one website being voted the most influential by far.
- 5 online review sites you can use to your advantage
- Best free and paid website builders
- 7 things tradespeople need to know in 2018
- What type of business insurance do I need?
The survey by MyJobQuote.co.uk polled 2,825 people. Everyone surveyed was 18 or over, owned a home, and had at least one child.
The poll revealed that two thirds of UK homeowners go to social media first to source construction and trade workers.
Which is the most influential social media website?
Despite recent headlines, Facebook was voted the go-to website for Britons researching services online. 71 per cent of respondents said that they would check out a company or worker on the site before getting in touch with them. Compare this with Twitter, which just 11 per cent of people said they would use to find a service.
With Facebook letting users leave reviews of services and get recommendations from their friends, it might be time to revisit (or set up!) your account.
The survey results – a breakdown
- 67 per cent of those polled said that their primary source when researching a company or service is social media
- Just 16 per cent said they use personal recommendations from family and friends, 11 per cent use companies’ own websites, and 4 per cent use review or comparison sites
- When asked what services they’ve engaged after using social media as their main or only source of research, two thirds (66 per cent) of respondents said construction and trades – just behind childcare (69 per cent)
What does this mean for tradespeople?
If you’ve been neglecting your social media accounts (or haven’t signed up to any), now might be a good time to take another look at them.
You don’t need to be on every social media website under the sun. But sorting out your business profile on the bigger platforms – like Facebook and Twitter – is a great way to build your reputation online.
With Facebook users being able to look for specific services using the site, you want to be sure to appear in the search results. Read more on how tradespeople can make the most of social media.
Have you got a Facebook account for your business? Let us know in the comments below.