Tradespeople across the UK are taking to the internet to expose some of the most blatant – and dangerous – bodge jobs they’ve come across.
- Suspended prison sentence for tradesman pretending to be Gas Safe registered
- 12 Google suggestions that are ridiculously unfair on tradesmen
- Most expensive tradesman fails
- What is public liability insurance?
The campaign was launched by The Gas Safety Superheroes, and encourages tradespeople to share pictures of shoddy and often dangerous work with the hasthag #sightforsoreinstalls.
It’s a not-for-profit movement, and they’re aiming to improve safety standards in the plumbing and heating industry.
Is DIY to blame?
While some of the bodge jobs being shared were down to professional tradespeople, a lot of the errors were by the general public practicing DIY.
Gavin Yeomen, a plumber from the Exeter and Torbay area, said: “I blame ignorance, I really do. People aren’t educated or they simply just don’t know how dangerous this is.”
Installation of a boiler must be carried out by a Gas Safe Register certified engineer, though members of the general public appear to be unaware of this.
A 2016 study revealed nine out of every 10 people are reluctant to call in a tradesman, fearing that they’ll be ripped off or – ironically – that the work won’t be completed to a good enough standard.
Unsurprisingly, a third of home owners regret doing their own DIY and not calling in a professional.
Faulty installation a serious issue
Incorrect installation of boilers is a serious issue.
Each year, around 11 people in the UK die from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Health and Safety Executive, showing the importance of having a Gas Safe Registered professional carry out the job.
Better education for the general public
With all the dangerous installations he’s seen, Yeomen is now calling for more campaigns to help the general public understand the dangers they’re putting themselves in.
“We’re told it is down to the installers to educate the public, but we need more large campaigns to do this,” he said. “About two or three times every year I have had to just unplug an appliance because it is potentially deadly.”
You can help spread awareness of the campaign by joining the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #sightforsoreinstalls