Hamburger icon


  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Manage your policy
Telephone iconCall Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Chevron left icon
Knowledge centre

Property damage liability insurance: a complete guide

1-minute read

Property damage liability insurance: a complete guide
Anna Delves

Anna Delves

25 January 2017

Facebook iconTwitter iconLinkedIn icon

Knowing which insurance is relevant for your business can cause a few headaches. Here’s our guide to help you work out whether you should buy property damage insurance.

What is property damage insurance?

Property damage insurance, or property damage liability insurance, is a subset of public liability insurance that specifically covers accidental damage to property.

If, for example, you are at a client's house and spill something on their furniture or carpet, then any claim made against you could be covered by having property damage insurance in place.

What professions need property damage insurance?

Property damage can be an important cover for a whole range of professions. If you work in public, or visit clients' offices or houses, then you run the risk of causing damage to property.

It could be as simple as a spilt cup of tea, or something far more disastrous, but even the smallest mistakes can lead to big claims.

One painter and decorator spilt a few drops of paint on a carpet at a house he was working on, but because the entire floor of the house was carpeted with a single, bespoke piece from Harrods, the claim was settled for over £100,000.

How do I buy property damage insurance?

Property damage insurance falls under public liability insurance, so you are unlikely to find it as a separate cover.

However, if you have public liability insurance, it will also cover you for accidental injuries to both your clients and third parties, which can be just as likely as damage to property.

You can read more about public liability insurance, or get a quote using the button below.

Got a question about property damage insurance? Ask us in the comments section.

Looking for public liability cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, public liability insurance is what we do best. We'll run you a quick, tailored quote right now online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
LinkedIn icon

People also liked

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Facebook icon

Follow us on Facebook

Twitter icon

Follow us on Twitter

YouTube icon

Subscribe to our videos on YouTube

LinkedIn icon

Follow us on LinkedIn


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2020 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.