Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

IT contractor insurance

Join over 8,500 IT contractors like you with cover from £3.49 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
IT contractors working in a server room

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,782 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need IT contractors insurance?

You’re dealing with clients, plus their hardware and your own. Accidents are bound to happen, especially with more of us working remotely. IT contractors’ insurance is built to work hand-in-hand with these risks, freeing you up to get on with the next big project.

  • protection from big claims if you make a mistake or anything gets damaged
  • cover for the essentials from the contents of your office to legal expenses
  • support if you’re in an accident and can’t carry on working

Start your quote

What does IT contractor insurance cover?

From multiple infrastructure components to the newest software, your work is complex. As the expert, we put you in control of what goes into your policy, but stay on-hand to help with any questions. Start with your liability insurance for accidents and damage, and build from there.

Public liability insurance

In case someone suffers property damage or injury because of your IT business.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance for IT contractors?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage you’ve caused to someone else’s property while working, or as a result of your work
  • someone else being injured while you’re working, or because of your work
  • accidental injury or damage caused by your employee (if you employ anyone, you’re legally required to have employers’ liability insurance too)

For example:

  • while installing new software on a client’s system you trip on a cable you’ve just put in, pulling the monitor off the desk and damaging it
  • you’re fitting some new equipment in a client’s office, but while fitting a cable you accidentally damage the wall

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case something happens to an employee while they’re working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an employee – even if they’re a temp or casual worker – suing you because they fall ill through working for you
  • any of your employees suing you for injury

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • one of your employees is installing new hardware but you’ve provided a faulty cable, which electrocutes them and burns their hand
  • you’ve supplied an employee with a faulty chair, which collapses when they sit down

Professional indemnity insurance

In case you make a mistake in your work or your service doesn’t meet the client’s expectations.

What’s typically covered by professional indemnity insurance for an IT contractor?

Claims against your business for:

  • financial losses suffered by your client due to professional negligence
  • advice you give that’s incorrect
  • other errors in your work that cost your client money

For example:

  • you set up your client’s security software but miss a gap in their network, exposing their data and causing a GDPR breach
  • you’re contracted to set up the hardware for an entire business but the job takes longer than your original quote, delaying their start-up date

Read more about professional indemnity insurance

Business and office equipment insurance

In case things like your laptop or client hardware are lost, stolen or damaged.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • theft, loss or damage to the equipment you use to run your business

For example:

  • hardware you’re storing for a client is destroyed in a fire, and needs replacing
  • your laptop is stolen during an office break-in

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Portable equipment

In case something happens to your equipment while you’re off-site.

What’s typically covered by portable equipment insurance?

  • loss, damage or theft of your portable equipment such as your laptop, tablet or phone

For example:

  • your work phone is stolen on your train commute
  • you leave your bag in a taxi, which contains your client’s new cables

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re hit with legal costs while running your business.

  • legal costs resulting from your normal business activities, like an employee dispute
  • the cost of legal claims due to property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • HMRC investigations or tax and compliance disputes
  • includes a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline, and crisis PR support to help protect your professional reputation

For example:

  • a client is over two months late on payments for a contract, forcing you to take legal action
  • HMRC investigates your business tax accounts

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you’ve covered has an accident.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death at or outside of work, for anyone covered on the policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you trip over the curb on your way into work, breaking your arm
  • an employee twists their ankle at a weekend event, and can’t drive into the office

Read more about personal accident insurance

How much does IT contractors insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.19 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example IT contractor insurance quotes, real prices

hiscox insurance

£16.38 /month

£143.79 /year

A self-employed IT contractor who works with a number of small to medium-sized clients

  • 1-2 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Leicester
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability

    Not included

  • Professional indemnity


  • Contents/business equipment

    Not included

maltings insurance

£56.34 /month

£500.83 /year

A small IT contracting firm who work with a number of small to medium-sized clients across a range of industries

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in York
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Professional indemnity


  • Contents/business equipment


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 14/12/2020). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Professional indemnity

No excess


Public liability






Portable equipment



Employers liability

No excess

No excess

The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Does IT contractor insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider cctv installer insurance or electrical contractors insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

Example claim

Having insurance through Simply Business has saved computer contractors thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Ian saved £1,900.00

Ian (not his real name) was on his way to work when he dropped his bag on an escalator, damaging two laptop screens beyond repair. Luckily, insurance for IT contractors covers this type of accidental damage.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of accidental damage.

  • Ian's costs


    The excess amount stated in Ian's policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,782 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

IT contractor insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about IT contractor insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • Yes. It’s important to make sure you have the right type and level of insurance for the different types of work you do. For example, if you’re a IT contractor, you may also provide consultancy on certain jobs – you’ll need additional cover for this, but you can have it all on the one policy. When you start your quote, you’ll have the option to add another trade or profession to your policy. If you need to add a third trade, give us a call on 0333 043 8527 and one of our insurance experts will help you set up your policy in minutes.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 043 8527. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for IT contractors

Hands typing at a laptop

26 Jun 2018 • 5-minute read

How to become an IT contractor in the UK

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
IT contractor insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.