Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

What limited company expenses can I claim?

2-minute read

Woman working out her tax bill
Sam Bromley

Sam Bromley

18 December 2023

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Limited company expenses are allowable expenses that your business can claim, helping you reduce your corporation tax bill.

You subtract these limited company expenses from revenue to calculate your company’s profit – and therefore the amount of corporation tax you pay.

Limited company expenses: the rules

If you've set up a limited company, tax-deductible expenses have to be ‘wholly and exclusively’ used for your company. If you pay for something that has a combination of business and personal use – for example you take a work trip abroad and then spend a few extra days on holiday – only the business part of the cost is tax deductible.

But as long as an expense is allowable, you can deduct it from your revenue to calculate your taxable profit.

A lot of your costs are allowable expenses for your limited company, including:

  • office equipment
  • salaries

Generally, any money you spend on entertaining clients or gifts is not allowable, even if it’s a genuine business expense.

It’s important to have a record of all of your limited company expenses, so make sure you keep all of your receipts, invoices, and any other important paperwork.

Keep in mind that you need to keep records for at least six years after you’ve filed your tax return, as HMRC could investigate at any point within this timeframe.

Read more: How long to keep tax records

Looking for a more general guide to small business tax? Head over to our tax hub page for more information.

List of allowable expenses for a limited company

Many of the costs involved in setting up your limited company and keeping it running are allowable business expenses, for example:

  • the costs for forming your limited company
  • premises costs, like rent and utility bills
  • salaries and other staff costs
  • the cost of stock or raw materials
  • office costs, like stationery and phone bills
  • travel and accommodation costs for business trips (but not commuting costs)
  • legal and financial costs, like accountancy fees and your professional indemnity insurance

Business entertainment costs aren’t usually tax deductible. But you can host a social event for your staff and claim it as a business expense, as long as the cost doesn’t exceed £150 per person, and it’s an annual event (such as a Christmas party) that’s open to all staff.

Capital allowances

It’s a bit different if you buy an asset for your business. If you buy something that you’re going to keep and use in your business, like a piece of machinery or a work van, you can claim capital allowances on your tax return.

This means that you can deduct the full value of the item from your revenue before tax, using your annual investment allowance (AIA). The AIA has changed several times over the years, but it's been set to £1 million since January 2019.

What about limited company expenses and employees?

If you provide benefits or expenses to your employees (including to yourself as a director), such as travel expenses or health insurance, you may have to tell HMRC and pay tax and National Insurance on them.

Check the list of employee expenses and benefits on the government’s website for the rules about each type of cost.

If your employees incur expenses during the course of their work, ask them for receipts so you can reimburse them. Then, include these purchases when calculating your tax deductible expenses.

Remember that normal commuting costs aren’t tax deductible, but you can claim for other staff travel costs, for example when an employee visits a client or goes to a conference.

It’s a good idea to have an employee expenses policy in place so that your employees know which expenses you will reimburse, and they know how and when they’ll be paid back.

Tax can be complicated and face fines if you make a mistake on your tax return. Look at the guidelines on the government’s website and look for professional advice from an accountant if you’re not sure.

Ready to set up your cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, we specialise in public liability insurance and protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote
Photograph: shurkin_son/
Sam Bromley

Written by

Sam Bromley

Sam has more than 10 years of experience in writing for financial services. He specialises in illuminating complicated topics, from IR35 to ISAs, and identifying emerging trends that audiences want to know about. Sam spent five years at Simply Business, where he was Senior Copywriter.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.